Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 25, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #6,661 of 6,946
Anyone here run their Mj2 in high gain mode? Been experimenting with the gains and find the high gain to be a little more fuller with slightly wider imaging. I also find the same thing with my GSX mini.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #6,662 of 6,946
I’m pretty much exclusive full gain mode. I use Peace EQ, and I set it to try to keep pre-gain out of clipping territory. I’ve got about 8 DB of cut, so I use full gain on the Mjolnir. I’ve tried low gain mode, it occasionally sounded different, not necessarily better, on low gain before modding. After modding, I find no need to try.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #6,663 of 6,946
Anyone here run their Mj2 in high gain mode? Been experimenting with the gains and find the high gain to be a little more fuller with slightly wider imaging. I also find the same thing with my GSX mini.
Yes and yes. When I owned the ‘Ksorolnir’ and the GSX-mini, I certainly experienced in high-gain mode more dimensional and solid imaging within a wider soundstage . [PS - a killer sonic combination: GSX-mini + Rosson Audio RAD-0. I sold both before the @puck headband modifications appeared.]

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #6,664 of 6,946
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #6,665 of 6,946
Hi all!

Just wanted to do a quick impressions post, now that I have a few hours burn in on my modded Mjolnir. It's really kind of interesting what has changed with burn in, tonally and audio effects wise!

To give you a little perscective, I'm a 60 year old male with some definite hearing loss above 10K (turbine engine aircraft mechanic in a prev career). One of the reasons I use Peace EQ is to boost the 10500 to 15000 range, with a steeeep peak at 11750 before tapering down. In actuality, I don't hear much past 12000. One of the reasons I love my ZMF's is what they do in the Bass to Midrange, just meaty and palapable! They compensate for what I'm missing on the highs.

Anyway, to the impressions. The main reason I ended up going with high grade Mundorfs capacitors over other choices was that they have a lower to upper treble boost effect, and I was hoping this might make my lower treble a little clearer (they are also far more compact than most other full-film capacitors). It has, I like the boosted treble, and I have a hunch this effect might slightly improve over time. I would estimate I've got maybe 50 hours or so of burn in post mod. I've also used almost exclusively RFT-E81CC tubes during this period.

When I first powered up the Mjolnir post mod, it really sounded pretty underwhelming. Very lifeless, sterile, and restricted. Bass was loose and flabby and undestinct. This was to be expected, not only am I burning in the Mundorf's but also 5 electrolytics. That changed quickly (thank God!), within 30 min or so, it was much more engaging. And frequency/amplitude wise, it hasn't changed much from there, at least to my limited perception. I have noticed the bass goes down lower, but not by a lot. I imagine the frequency extremes (the freq range) has broadened slightly, but this is inferring what I hear in the bass is also happening on the other end. The first changes I noticed taking place were in the bass, it has definitely deepened and tightened. It's quite tuneful now, I can easily follow a bass line on most songs, some which I never knew had one (Carole King's "Tapestry" album)! And it is so throaty!!! Think James Earl Jones in terms of the body behind a voice. Male vocals are really something! As the caps settle in, female vocals are improving, but that seems to come slower. Sarah McLachlan is finally becoming more palpable, but that seems to have happened within the last 10 hrs. Whitney Houston's "Exhale" finally took on some soul!

One positive difference from stock to modded that I did notice almost immediately was in the "air" around instruments. Each instrument seemed to be more specific or localized, instead of appearing on the 'wall of sound'. That effect has improved slowly, but perhaps more so because of other improvements dynamically and depth wise as the caps burn in. It was a little wierd, depth wise, as it seemed that instruments that were mixed hot were very front of stage, while most everything else took a mid-stage perspective, with a fair bit of seperation from front stage to mid stage, but not much in between. Shakers, tamborines, cymbals, bells, chimes, all these mid to back stage sounds seemed to also be slightly muted. They were still clear and specific, but quieter and smaller sounding. That is easing over burn in, the depth aspect of the stage is slowly deepening and seperating with less 'banding'.

Dynamics is another area that seems to be improving slowly. I mentioned listening to to Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart", and how I thought that song was overly polite on the RFT's. I'm now thinking that's more of a function of the cap's not having loosened up earlier in the burn in process. Having just listened again, that song significantly improved within the last day or two. Dynamics and PRAT have gained snap and bounce. And that adds back into image specificity and depth. Part of the motivation for writing this is my listening session last night, when I realized how much had changed in tunefulness over the last few days. I'm sure I have several tubes that could rival the RFT's, but I'm in no hurry to sub them in, I'm just really enjoying the ride.

There are two other points I want to cover. Unexpectantly, electric guitar seems to be slightly less dominant after the mods. It's less prominent post-mod, while everything else seems to have gotten more representation. Sort of like it's sharing the stage, instead of hogging it. Not sure how this will play out with more hours. Pedal and synthesizer effects are really highlighted, though. Vibrato, tremolo, the sound of a Leslie, particular synth sounds, I guess you could say the warbling of instruments is really highlighted and quite fun!

Wind and horn sections are wonderful on classical music, but massed strings are still mostly 'wall of sound'. It's only recently that voices started to become more distinct from each other in the chorus's of songs, (one to 3 backup singers are clear, but still not dilineating choirs yet). That aspect still has a long way to go. That's OK, that really only starts to truly shine in the best of the best equipment. That may be where Stage 2 will help some, giving some finess for the finer touches.

As to now, 1st thing in my immediate future is a re-calibration of Peace EQ. I need to do a new baseline measurement of my ears/headphones, and start re-EQing from there. I'll probably burn in another 50 hrs or so before I do that, really let the caps settle in. Slowly gathering ideas and gumption for stage 2. It could be a while... And I probably need to make covers for the bottom of my chassis. If Jason ever wandered here, and saw those pic's, he'd probably have nightmares!!!

Hope all of Y'all have a great tommorrow!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #6,666 of 6,946
So again, what's your take on this, especially considering use in a Mjolnir. Thanks!!!
MJ2 uses one tube per channel, and so there's no electrical interaction between the tubes. They might have different gain, which you can fix with a balance control. Any two tubes are going to measure /sound a little different - if they're similar enough for your ears, all is fine. No need to have them finely matched by vendors.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #6,667 of 6,946
Cool, and thanks for response! Have a great night!

May 1, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #6,668 of 6,946
Hey Gang! Can I get a quick call out to you experienced tube rollers? Have several sets of 6414's on the way, but came across a post in this thread that mentions they may take too much current? Reference was made to a data-sheet, and I never saw another post confirming this was indeed far out of spec for our Mjolnir's. Can anyone confirm or give experience on this?

Thanks!!!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-mjolnir-2-listening-impressions.778250/page-226#post-16358575
I've ran the 6414 tubes in the MJ2. They are over the specs and I didn't have any issues but I wouldn't recommend using them. Honestly they're nothing special sound wise. Huge soundstage but resolution and imaging are ok.

May 1, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #6,670 of 6,946
Started some tube rolling this weekend, first tried the Brimars (I think CV4003’s), really was not digging it, although burn in has barely started there. Lots of bass, but not loving the feel so far. Then I subbed in a pair of Sylvania 6414’s, River City Dive was really fun thru them. I’m kinda liking them, may have to revisit later. Unfortunately, that’s all the time I had this weekend for listening, currently in Atlanta airport waiting for my connector flight. Will be out of town till Friday, so no listening till then.

Have even more tubes on order, 7 pair!!! Hope to give an impressions post later. Ya’ll have a great week!!!

May 1, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #6,671 of 6,946
Started some tube rolling this weekend, first tried the Brimars (I think CV4003’s), really was not digging it, although burn in has barely started there. Lots of bass, but not loving the feel so far. Then I subbed in a pair of Sylvania 6414’s, River City Dive was really fun thru them. I’m kinda liking them, may have to revisit later. Unfortunately, that’s all the time I had this weekend for listening, currently in Atlanta airport waiting for my connector flight. Will be out of town till Friday, so no listening till then.

Have even more tubes on order, 7 pair!!! Hope to give an impressions post later. Ya’ll have a great week!!!
The Mullard CV4003's are one of my not favorites. I've been successful though at selling most of them off. :laughing:

Main.jpg

May 2, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #6,673 of 6,946
May 2, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #6,674 of 6,946
I do, but I run the HE-6SE V2....
How do you like the He6SE through the MJ2? I've read conflicting reports about whether the MJ2 is powerful enough to bring out the best in them.

May 2, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #6,675 of 6,946
So, Bcowen, what tube did you finally decide was your best match for the Mjolnir?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back