Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 22, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,701 of 6,931
I appreciate the input I do not need 100 watts on tap at all so I guess that kinda takes care of that for me. I believe that the gungnir multibit and mj2 are gonna be my endgame set up for a while and I will prolly get the Lisst pair as well jus to be able to utilize SS if I feel a need to. Thanks for your response.
Have the MJ2/Gumby combo, you won't be disappointed one bit. @AuditoryCanvas has a pair of unused LIIST tubes for $70 if your interested. Think they are 100 from Schiit.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,702 of 6,931
Thanks tk16 I will keep those tubes in mind when I get my schiit in.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #2,703 of 6,931
I appreciate the input I do not need 100 watts on tap at all so I guess that kinda takes care of that for me. I believe that the gungnir multibit and mj2 are gonna be my endgame set up for a while and I will prolly get the Lisst pair as well jus to be able to utilize SS if I feel a need to. Thanks for your response.

Plus, you already have a Jot, add a Loki to it and have fun. And definitely, get the best multibit separate you can manage. I have not heard the Gungnir MB but most comments about it say it is within spitting distance of Yggy in sound and fits perfectly under the MJ2.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,704 of 6,931
That is what I have heard to and plan to get it as a result. I actually had the loki for a little while but anytime it was in the on position it generated so much noise that I couldnt stand to use it. After that little experiment I have decided that I would like to have as few items in the chain as possible staying fully balanced to avoid as much noise as possible with the hope of acheiveing that ever elusive perfect sound but may have to upgrade my LCD-X to Utopia before I achieve that little dream but from sounds of things the Gungnir multibit and Mjolnir 2 with tubes will get me a good part of the way there.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2,705 of 6,931
I also have the MJ2/Gumby combo and I agree that it’s a pretty good budget end gear setup.
However, I suggest you look up impressions on tube rolling for the MJ2 since the stock tubes just didn’t cut it for me.
Also personally, I enjoyed the Magni 3 and Jotunheim over the MJ2/LISST.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2,707 of 6,931
I also have the MJ2/Gumby combo and I agree that it’s a pretty good budget end gear setup.
However, I suggest you look up impressions on tube rolling for the MJ2 since the stock tubes just didn’t cut it for me.
Also personally, I enjoyed the Magni 3 and Jotunheim over the MJ2/LISST.
Yeah it seems like people either really like or really hate the lisst tubes. I have also started making a list of tubes to start with cause I am pretty sure that from what others have said the stock tubes wont cut it for me either and sounds like the mj2 can be magical with the right tubes paired to the gungnir multibit. If that is the case I just cant wait to try it. I really enjoy the jotty with multibit dac but that small version of their multibit topology just makes me yearn for more.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,708 of 6,931
Stock tubes for MJ2 are bad IMO, never tried LISST. The moment you put in a Amperex orange globe, foton triple mica, WE396a or even Jan-Ge tubes the MJ2 is better than the Jotunheim, just my opinion of course but I did have them side to side.
thanks for the tips on tubes I will be adding these to the lisst (haha see what I did there).

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,709 of 6,931
thanks for the tips on tubes I will be adding these to the lisst (haha see what I did there).
You need 2 5670 to ECC88 adapters for the Foton 6N3P and Western Electric 396A, buy them now they take a long time for delivery. I also recommend a pair of socket savers as well. Much easier to take out the tubes. And you can easily take out the adapter with them in.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #2,710 of 6,931
You need 2 5670 to ECC88 adapters for the Foton 6N3P and Western Electric 396A, buy them now they take a long time for delivery. I also recommend a pair of socket savers as well. Much easier to take out the tubes. And you can easily take out the adapter with them in.
This forum is like gold for the audiophile. That is the type of stuff I have been wondering about the most with regard to tube rolling I will absolutely be doing this thank you for this info.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2,711 of 6,931
I’ve been looking to pick up the MJ2 Then I came across the Monoprice Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier Does anyone know anything about it??

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,712 of 6,931
... I actually had the loki for a little while but anytime it was in the on position it generated so much noise that I couldnt stand to use it. After that little experiment I have decided that I would like to have as few items in the chain as possible staying fully balanced to avoid as much noise as possible with the hope of acheiveing that ever elusive perfect sound but may have to upgrade my LCD-X to Utopia before I achieve that little dream but from sounds of things the Gungnir multibit and Mjolnir 2 with tubes will get me a good part of the way there.

That's surprising about the noise with Loki, mine is dead quiet with my Jot, but there's so much variation in audiophile rigs anything is possible. A balanced Loki would be fun, and 2 more bands would be nice with HP's. Make it dual channel and it could be very nice for those into 2 channel.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,713 of 6,931
That's surprising about the noise with Loki, mine is dead quiet with my Jot, but there's so much variation in audiophile rigs anything is possible. A balanced Loki would be fun, and 2 more bands would be nice with HP's. Make it dual channel and it could be very nice for those into 2 channel.
I find it strange as well i was using it at the time with a modi multibit and magni3 beacause when I originally started looking I had emailed the people at Schiit and they told me the Loki would not work with the Jot and now I am finding that people use it with Jot all the time. But either way I have since added a furhman power conditioner to my set up just incase the issue was somehow power related. But I also would love to see a larger version of the Loki in balanced with a couple extra bands and maybe an iFi style 3D crossfeed effect just for fun.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2,714 of 6,931
As everyone says the Mj2\Gumby combo really shines when you use tubes. In my opinion I think the LISST tubes limits the Mj2. I recently got a bunch of tubes, a long with the LISST, that came with the purchase of an Mj2 and I would like to recommend the Russian family of tubes, the 6N23P I think. They are so far my favorite pairing the the Elex and LCD X.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #2,715 of 6,931
Can't go wrong with the iFi NOS 6922 if you can find them, they have adapters built in. Not sure how easy to find they are these days though as I think they stopped making them due to tube shortage. Certainly sound good with the setup in my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back