Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 9, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,982 of 6,943
Which DAC is a more enjoyable pairing with the MJ2?
Gumby or Yggdrasil? Or something else?

You can't go wrong with either one of those two.

I am using my MJ2 with Holo Spring L3 Kitsune edition, and this setup is definitely my "endgame " setup. The missing link for me is a Singxer SU-1, which is coming next week.

Rolling tubes I discovered is fun and joy!

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,983 of 6,943
Which DAC is a more enjoyable pairing with the MJ2?
Gumby or Yggdrasil? Or something else?

Jason Stoddard, co-founder of Schiit Audio, has the Gumby/MJ2 combo on his desk. I am really liking the Yggy/MJ2 combo at my desk!

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #1,984 of 6,943

Jason Stoddard, co-founder of Schiit Audio, has the Gumby/MJ2 combo on his desk. I am really liking the Yggy/MJ2 combo at my desk!

images

Me too................... 

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,985 of 6,943
I would love to hear a comparison between mj2 and the IFI iCAN pro. It can do SS, tube, or I think it's a combo of both. But no tube rolling. I may get one if I find one used to compare. If anyone happened to try both I would love to hear their impressions!

I was considering the mj2 But found a good deal on the IFI pro so will try it for now

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,986 of 6,943

Out with the old and in with the new! Listened to them with stock tubes right out the gate, no warm-up. Impression: power, separation, and clarity. Really shows how much headroom these Ether Flows have. Best of all I smiled immediately.

Oh man this makes me very hopeful. Im trying to figure out what end game rig I want for my Ether Flows. How is it now 3 days later? How does it change the Ethers with stock tubes?

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,987 of 6,943

Oh man this makes me very hopeful. Im trying to figure out what end game rig I want for my Ether Flows. How is it now 3 days later? How does it change the Ethers with stock tubes?

I think I mentioned they felt too soft for me with the Asgard 2 - adding the Mjolnir sharpened them up - but also brought a bigger sense of presence - maybe it's the additional power, I don't know..they just hum, in a good way. :) They feel more textured, if that makes sense. Also, the level of detail has definitely increased...as well as separation. I just broke my clamps so I can't wear it until I get the replacement (should be here in a few days). Word of advice, don't over tighten, you'll strip the plastic sliders. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #1,988 of 6,943
I can get the Sennheiser XLR cable for HD-650 at a reasonable price here in France. From the photograph, the plug seems to have a thick looking metal sleeve... 

..can anyone confirm that this Sennheiser XLR plug fits the MJ2 XLR-Out socket OK ?

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,989 of 6,943
  I can get the Sennheiser XLR cable for HD-650 at a reasonable price here in France. From the photograph, the plug seems to have a thick looking metal sleeve... 

..can anyone confirm that this Sennheiser XLR plug fits the MJ2 XLR-Out socket OK ?

I don't have that specific cable or even a Mjolnir 2, but as far as I know all 4 pin XLR cables are cross compatible, you should have no problems.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,990 of 6,943
XLR is a standard.......XLR cables fit XLR ports.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,991 of 6,943
@winders & @rhenom...thank-you. I was being cautious as Sennheiser say on their website these cables are 'optimised' for their amps.

EDIT: I also thought there were different sizes of XLR plugs...maybe I'm wrong.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,993 of 6,943
  @winders & @rhenom...thank-you. I was being cautious as Sennheiser say on their website these cables are 'optimised' for their amps.

EDIT: I also thought there were different sizes of XLR plugs...maybe I'm wrong.

There are 3 prongs and 4 prongs. The headphone cable you show is a 4 prong, and it is the same 4 prong that is on the end of my HD800s cable. It fits the MJ2.

My question is have you searched other options on an HD650 balanced cable?

You might find one that is more "cost" competitive. You are paying a premium for that logo on that cable which might not be contributing to better sound compared to an alternative.

Just saying..........

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,994 of 6,943
My question is have you searched other options on an HD650 balanced cable?

You might find one that is more "cost" competitive. You are paying a premium for that logo on that cable which might not be contributing to better sound compared to an alternative.

Thank-you...the Senn cable was used but isn't available anymore....so I'm now looking at FORZA Audioworks, suggested by a Head-Fi member on another thread.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,995 of 6,943
Hey, can you recommend better tubes (than stock) around 100€ what are good for listening rock and metal. My headphones are HD 600 if that matters. My Mjo2 will arrive after easter.
I also see in eu site that there is Gungnirs coming in stock... 1 for me please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back