Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #4,261 of 6,973
Isn't it more the case that older is better, since getter frames have no actual bearing on electrical characteristics?
The getter is an indicator of how old the tube is, and Square and D Getters came before the O.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4,263 of 6,973
Exactly what I was getting at.

Black vs gray plates being another indicator.
Got ya. I have always wondered this myself, as other than the getter difference the construction looks the exact same. Can the shape of the getter actually have an effect on the sound? I have yet to find an answer, but the square and d getters are always superior, in my experience.

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #4,266 of 6,973
Got ya. I have always wondered this myself, as other than the getter difference the construction looks the exact same. Can the shape of the getter actually have an effect on the sound? I have yet to find an answer, but the square and d getters are always superior, in my experience.
Could it be that tubes with a square or d getter are assembled with greater precision than tubes with o getters since the getters are not concentric with the tube inner walls?

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,267 of 6,973
Could it be that tubes with a square or d getter are assembled with greater precision than tubes with o getters since the getters are not concentric with the tube inner walls?
Good question!

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,269 of 6,973
My theory is that it’s because they were less “engineered”, overbuilt and probably use “better” (ie more toxic) chemicals in the construction. Then they got more precise with circular getters, optimized materials (ie cost considerations) and more exacting amplification. I don’t know?!?!
Great theory @ksorota!

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #4,270 of 6,973
Personally, I'll take a round getter anything over any D-getter GE. But that's just me. :stuck_out_tongue: :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #4,272 of 6,973
Personally, I'll take a round getter anything over any D-gutter GE. But that's just me. :stuck_out_tongue: :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Once again, FTFY [Reg. TM, © bcowen: 2021]

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #4,273 of 6,973

Users who are viewing this thread

Back