Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #451 of 592
The XLR connector on the amplifier is totally stable. It's when the cable is plugged in. The connector on the cable wiggles and moves vertically very easily. Have never seen this before.

Yes, this is normal. My two units did this. The XLR connector floats and isn't screwed into the chasis like on some higher end Schiit amps.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #453 of 592
Hi friends - I just receiver a new Midgard as a - very wonderful - gift. The sound is amazing thru the headphones, but the powersupply has a very anoying loud buzzing sound that can be heard clearly 8 meters away. The buzzing sound is also there when the amplifier is powered off and even if the powersupply is in a live wall outlet but not connected to the amplifier. Plugin into another wall outlet give the same sound. I have never heard this with any other wallwart before. My question - is this normal?

Best regards Klaus

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #458 of 592
I'd check for ground loops or your electrical plugs aren't properly grounded
Thanks all that replied. Here in Denmark the electrical plugs aren’t grounded (unless they are for special purposes like heavy use or outdoor).
I will contact Shiit-Europe where it was bought. But besidde that issue the sound is very good with my HD650, and I really look forward to try it with my Quad Era-1 planars also :)

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #459 of 592
Thanks all that replied. Here in Denmark the electrical plugs aren’t grounded (unless they are for special purposes like heavy use or outdoor).
I will contact Shiit-Europe where it was bought. But besidde that issue the sound is very good with my HD650, and I really look forward to try it with my Quad Era-1 planars also :)
I would sent schiit an email detailing the problem. If the Midgard is working well, you may just have a faulty power supply which is easily rectified with a new power supply. I hope you Enjoy your Midgard as much as I do as it really is a great component. PS: we visited Copenhagen in sunny September and LOVED the time we spent there! Beautiful city!

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #460 of 592
Hi friends - I just receiver a new Midgard as a - very wonderful - gift. The sound is amazing thru the headphones, but the powersupply has a very anoying loud buzzing sound that can be heard clearly 8 meters away. The buzzing sound is also there when the amplifier is powered off and even if the powersupply is in a live wall outlet but not connected to the amplifier. Plugin into another wall outlet give the same sound. I have never heard this with any other wallwart before. My question - is this normal?

Best regards Klaus
Same here
The thing is it is difficult to find an AC adaptor in Europe ...

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #462 of 592
If you have heard this amp and a Drop THX 789, could you compare their sound. My Drop has...dropped over. I use Focal Clear OGs, which don't require a lot of power, so output watts aren't a factor for me.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #463 of 592
Ask schitt if a DC 16 volt unit would work? It does get rectified to DC, and I’ve read in the past, a long time ago, that someone tried it and it worked. Confirm with schitt first.
Midgard PCB pic shows multiple internal linear regulator positive and negative rail voltages, so wall-wart must have 14-16V AC (not DC) output for it to work correctly

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #464 of 592
If you have heard this amp and a Drop THX 789, could you compare their sound. My Drop has...dropped over. I use Focal Clear OGs, which don't require a lot of power, so output watts aren't a factor for me.
Send them over I'll let you know how good they sound.. I ..promise to return them... Eventually *jealous*
Ask schitt if a DC 16 volt unit would work? It does get rectified to DC, and I’ve read in the past, a long time ago, that someone tried it and it worked. Confirm with schitt first.

It might work but I doubt it will work properly or for very long. Tbh it's an I'll advised suggestion unless you're absolutely sure about this. It's much cheaper to get ac to DC wallwart. I'm sure if they could use it they would

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #465 of 592
Send them over I'll let you know how good they sound.. I ..promise to return them... Eventually *jealous*

It might work but I doubt it will work properly or for very long. Tbh it's an I'll advised suggestion unless you're absolutely sure about this. It's much cheaper to get ac to DC wallwart. I'm sure if they could use it they would
I wasn’t 100% sure, that is why I suggested to contact Schiit first before executing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back