Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #436 of 592
Who makes Duality? I'm just starting to learn about IEMs. There are... sooooo mannny!

Nightjar Acoustics :)

I love their IEMs BTW!

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #437 of 592
Have you tried tightening down the set screw on the existing knob?

I did and it came loose again. It’s the weirdest thing, maybe it has something to do with temperature contraction. I went in the closet and took the solid metal knob off of my old Lyr V1. I can very much recommend the larger diameter knob, the volume feel is much smoother.

I would offer some impressions but the balanced cable I have for my Focal and Hifiman phones is not working properly.

IMG_1268.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #438 of 592
Midgard + Modius (E) peeps.
I did a test today to compare the Balanced Mode - to Single Ended Mode - from Modius (E) through Midgard.
Headphones used: Neumann NDH-30 through the un-balanced connector 1/4 inch connector.
"Lots" of trouble level matching. I tried the best I could with my brain and ears.
Bottom line: balance wins. It works "ok" in SE; but the MAGIC with this combo is in balanced mode.
Balance mode: more bass impact, more impact, more presence, bigger soundstage, sweeter mids and for sure highs (less grain).
SE: smaller soundstage; a little more veiled. Things improve at higher volumes, but it never betters balance mode.

Just one opinion folks.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #440 of 592
Midgard + Modius (E) peeps.
I did a test today to compare the Balanced Mode - to Single Ended Mode - from Modius (E) through Midgard.
Headphones used: Neumann NDH-30 through the un-balanced connector 1/4 inch connector.
"Lots" of trouble level matching. I tried the best I could with my brain and ears.
Bottom line: balance wins. It works "ok" in SE; but the MAGIC with this combo is in balanced mode.
Balance mode: more bass impact, more impact, more presence, bigger soundstage, sweeter mids and for sure highs (less grain).
SE: smaller soundstage; a little more veiled. Things improve at higher volumes, but it never betters balance mode.

Just one opinion folks.

I agree with this as well. I find the Midgard will reflect whatever the better output is from your DAC. So far I have run mine with the SU-9 and the NAD M51 and it has brought out the best in both.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #441 of 592
I agree with this as well. I find the Midgard will reflect whatever the better output is from your DAC. So far I have run mine with the SU-9 and the NAD M51 and it has brought out the best in both.
Running my RME ADI-2 DAC FS also scales nicely with the Midgard. The Midgard IS impressive.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #442 of 592
Width and crossfeed in most DAC/amp are usually already baked in the sound. RME on the other hand being a pro-audio brand does it the pro-audio way (in which you are now the sound engineer so to speak lol). Out of the box the RME will give you the plain vanilla unadulterated sound and gives you control on how you set the width and crossfeed. Don't be afraid to play around with the width together with crossfeed. The wider you want to go with the width value the farther the away the driver feels from each other and the farther they are the more disjointed the sound will be, this is where you start to apply crossfeed to make your sound back into unison. With those two values together dialed in to you preference, the effect would be like listening to speakers with you sitting and listening at the most optimal position. Try to set your width at +1.0 and crossfeed +2 and see what happens, that's the sweet spot setting for my NDH 30. Of course values depend solely on your specific phone and how it responds to the values you set, FR is not affected and remain constant. Once you dialed that down, you can proceed with your testing.
To ThEvil0nE: I have been playing with Crossfeed as you suggested and I have settled at the setting of "1" or "2" max as per your suggestion. This gets me close to my Schitt stack (Midgard + Modius (E). Thanks for this...it saved the RME! :)

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #443 of 592
To ThEvil0nE: I have been playing with Crossfeed as you suggested and I have settled at the setting of "1" or "2" max as per your suggestion. This gets me close to my Schitt stack (Midgard + Modius (E). Thanks for this...it saved the RME! :)
I really want to proliferate the term pile of schiit instead schiit stack. It's just more appropriate

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #445 of 592
How solidly do your XLR headphone cables connect to your Midgard's XLR headphone output connection?

I took delivery of a Midgard today and have enjoyed the sound for the first few minutes I've listened to it. But the XLR jack on my headphone cable doesn't sit firmly, which I expected it to do. Instead, the XLR jack on the cable clicks in when inserted into the headphone output but then easily rocks/angles down with the slightest touch. This does not interrupt the audio but feels off.

I've used countless XLR connections in the past — with powered speakers and other pro audio gear but never a 4-pin XLR headphone cable — and have not experienced this kind of loosey goosey connection on an XLR jack until now. Is this normal for the Midgard and/or Schitt in general?

My Hart Audio and Focal XLR cables both behave like this when plugged into the Midgard.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #446 of 592
How solidly do your XLR headphone cables connect to your Midgard's XLR headphone output connection?

I took delivery of a Midgard today and have enjoyed the sound for the first few minutes I've listened to it. But the XLR jack on my headphone cable doesn't sit firmly, which I expected it to do. Instead, the XLR jack on the cable clicks in when inserted into the headphone output but then easily rocks/angles down with the slightest touch. This does not interrupt the audio but feels off.

I've used countless XLR connections in the past — with powered speakers and other pro audio gear but never a 4-pin XLR headphone cable — and have not experienced this kind of loosey goosey connection on an XLR jack until now. Is this normal for the Midgard and/or Schitt in general?

My Hart Audio and Focal XLR cables both behave like this when plugged into the Midgard.
Yea I have noticed this as well on my unit. I try not to be quick to connect or disconnect from the front XLR connection.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #447 of 592
Yea I have noticed this as well on my unit. I try not to be quick to connect or disconnect from the front XLR connection.
Thanks for confirming it's not just my unit. But that seems really strange to me. Every other XLR connection I've ever used has always sat flush solid. Is the Jotunheim like this? Are non Schiit XLR headphone outputs like this?

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #448 of 592
Is the XLR plug loose in the connector? Or is the connector loose on the board? I just looked at mine and it doesn't seem unusually loose in a way that made me flag it. It might wiggle a tiny bit but it doesn't seem off to me. Perhaps other units have better anchored XLR plugs, but I wouldn't know because this is my first amp with any.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #450 of 592
That's odd, mine doesn't do that. I'd email Schiit about it. In my experience they are very helpful, I suspect they'd replace your unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back