Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #376 of 592
I'll take a peek at Ampsandsound. I never heard of them before.

Dive in if you're ready to go to tube world :). It's lots of fun tweaking rolling tubes and chain synergies in order to chase that elusive "tube magic"

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #377 of 592
Would using the Midgard's balanced inputs from balanced outputs on a DAC (specifically if they are listed as 4 volts) help the Midgard to get louder versus using the unbalanced inputs from unbalanced outputs on a DAC?

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #379 of 592
I like this review with the Midgard, but his comment on the sibilance regard is not the fault of the Midgard IMO but rather the DAC and the source and its digital interconnect combo. He did pair them with the Chord stuff which to me is a bad synergy with the Midgard because those DACs are too incisive for Midgard hence the sibilance and hot energy in the note edges.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #381 of 592
The Halo output is really growing on me. I’m baffled to what is happening to the sound but on some tracks it’s not subtle. Very interesting tech and glad to have it as an option.

It's quasi-tube amp presentation to the sound me as it reminds me on how my tube amp sounds but with solid-state tonality to it

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #382 of 592
I like this review with the Midgard, but his comment on the sibilance regard is not the fault of the Midgard IMO but rather the DAC and the source and its digital interconnect combo. He did pair them with the Chord stuff which to me is a bad synergy with the Midgard because those DACs are too incisive for Midgard hence the sibilance and hot energy in the note edges.

This guy in the review talks SO MUCH nonsense.

I would take anything this guy says with a lump of charcoal to filter all the crap he spews

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #383 of 592

One thing I do note that is erroneous with this review: he mentions that the Midgard is "fully balanced". As most of us know, it is not internally balanced even if the input and outputs are balanced. Schiit is very upfront about that.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #384 of 592
This guy in the review talks SO MUCH nonsense.

I would take anything this guy says with a lump of charcoal to filter all the crap he spews

Any examples?

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #385 of 592
Any examples?
The reviewer said in the review that the Midgard's balanced output is louder than the unbalanced output. While this is usually the case with amps that have balanced and unbalanced outputs, Schiit states on the Midgard's product page that the output level is the same for the balanced and unbalanced outputs, the difference between the two being Halo in balanced and not on unbalanced.

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #386 of 592
Any examples?
The halo isn't a balanced signal, its not even internally balanced amp.

DACs does not "outstrip" any amp unless it's faulty it just had to begin with, it's not a digital scenario where you have defined limits to the sound quality just because it's cheaper than the DAC.

the se out can't just flat out suck as the halo is just an se signal via the halo topology which by schiit standards may be a subtle upgrade to the sound, it can't magically introduce sounds not already present in the se output.

I had about 12 bullet points of nonsense he threw in the review, some are technical and some are just showing a very low understanding of sound reproduction, I didn't write them down because I didn't plan to throw shade at this guy, but all he seems to be is an audio enthusiast without a very limited technical and theoretical understanding of the hobby and quite importantly the problem of placebo effect. He puts a linear increase of sound quality to the items price tag

So on and so forth.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #387 of 592
One thing I do note that is erroneous with this review: he mentions that the Midgard is "fully balanced". As most of us know, it is not internally balanced even if the input and outputs are balanced. Schiit is very upfront about that.
Yes, he obviously didn't even bother to understand what he was reviewing

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #388 of 592
Yes, he obviously didn't even bother to understand what he was reviewing
I really felt I'm watching a generic conveyor belt review with all his "of course if you pay more you must get more" (let me tell you this doesn't apply in analog situation above a certain threshold), it just felt he could be saying most of the things he said about just any amp. Esp as many of his statements are either half or completely false

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #390 of 592
The halo isn't a balanced signal, its not even internally balanced amp.

DACs does not "outstrip" any amp unless it's faulty it just had to begin with, it's not a digital scenario where you have defined limits to the sound quality just because it's cheaper than the DAC.

the se out can't just flat out suck as the halo is just an se signal via the halo topology which by schiit standards may be a subtle upgrade to the sound, it can't magically introduce sounds not already present in the se output.

I had about 12 bullet points of nonsense he threw in the review, some are technical and some are just showing a very low understanding of sound reproduction, I didn't write them down because I didn't plan to throw shade at this guy, but all he seems to be is an audio enthusiast without a very limited technical and theoretical understanding of the hobby and quite importantly the problem of placebo effect. He puts a linear increase of sound quality to the items price tag

So on and so forth.

Thanks!

Agreed with these. He should've done his research on the product thoroughly especially about the Halo having the same power and volume output as the SE.

Skipping to my personal experience with SE against Halo, I agree with him about 50%, but that's because I have tried the Midgard with a lot of headphones that he has used (and from Schiitr) and there are some headphones out there such as the HD650/6XX that has a very noticeable difference in the two outputs while others have negligible difference such as the DCA Aeon 2 Noires. In my experience, the Halo has never been worse sounding than the SE out, but I suspect that the Halo secret sauce is the real-time impedance matching of some headphones with wild impedance swings at certain frequencies and phase error feedback correction as well during the Halo mixed mode feedback circuit which translates to the differences in what we hear. This is pure speculation about the Halo topology and nothing I mention are facts.

1702169621312.png

1702169731448.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back