Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #46 of 592
Regarding the rear outputs on this, does anyone know if the volume knob on the front affects the level of the outputs or are they full volume all the time? Also, does the in/out in the rear function when the unit is powered off?

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #48 of 592
Something happened with PayPal and Schiit canceled my order and said to reorder. Guess I’m at the back of the line now. :cry:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #49 of 592
Halo is interesting, it reminds me of Kenwood's sigma drive. Too bad there's no linear power supply option for this amp though.

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #50 of 592
I went to the Toronto Audio Fest yesterday and I remember the Chord rep was trying to explain to me how the new Ultima Amplifier measures the hardware and readjust the output.

I wonder if Halo is similar in concept just different execution. Or maybe I'm over simplifying it since all the technical stuff went over my head LOL.

Oct 22, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #51 of 592
Halo is interesting, it reminds me of Kenwood's sigma drive. Too bad there's no linear power supply option for this amp though.
The power supply is linear anyway:

‘Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 14-16VAC transformer, stacked rails of +/-20V and +/-30V regulated voltage rails, 10,000uF total capacitance’

Andrew

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #52 of 592
I went to the Toronto Audio Fest yesterday and I remember the Chord rep was trying to explain to me how the new Ultima Amplifier measures the hardware and readjust the output.

I wonder if Halo is similar in concept just different execution. Or maybe I'm over simplifying it since all the technical stuff went over my head LOL.
It just puts the headphones in the feedback loop.

Andrew

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #53 of 592
Totally agree. When I spoke with Jason at CanJam SoCal, I brought this up to him and he admitted that he kind of went through a 'phase' where he just wanted to show all the measurement nerds that he could make amps that measured just as good as all the THX-based amps that were getting a lot of attention at the time. But by his own admission, those amps sounded so lifeless and boring that he actually forgot that he had even made one of them (the Magnius)! And he also said that the Mjolnir 3 and the Midgard are a return to form for him, and even though the Midgard does measure extremely well, he's no longer interested in "chasing zeros", especially when the end result is something that you can literally forget about. :sweat_smile:
I also wouldn't be surprised if there are people (like me) that get intrigued by a product that measures well enough and subjectively is impressing people. That's the reason I bought the SA-1. So this amp has me intrigued again because they are trying something different. I'm glad Schiit goes for it.

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #56 of 592
I also wouldn't be surprised if there are people (like me) that get intrigued by a product that measures well enough and subjectively is impressing people. That's the reason I bought the SA-1. So this amp has me intrigued again because they are trying something different. I'm glad Schiit goes for it.
I don't understand how the SA-1 measured well, because the sound was highly veiled to me, so I sold mine shortly after purchase. I didn't make the jumper mods because most reviewers said the difference was minor, but what I was hearing was a major veil or haze over the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back