Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #196 of 621
….. damping factor …..

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #198 of 621
Inaccurate and mischaracterization. The full story is up in each chapter--Magnius and Midgard both.

Magnius--we tried two designs, both op-amp based. I liked one. Staff liked another. I was outvoted. There was never any intention of not releasing it. The only question was which form.

The Midgard--yes, I forgot we did Magnius. This can be a good thing: it's a reliable, trouble-free product. And it did help break the back of the "schiit can't make measurements" thing that was going around at the time.

But yes, I will lean towards discrete. A more linear stage without the need for tons of feedback to get good measurements, based on our own tech that can be improved, rather than me-too waiting for the latest new op-amp from TI or AD...that always wins for me. But that's me. And that's leaving aside the opportunity to introduce Halo.

If you're in the area, come to my Measurements presentation at the Dallas CanJam. It's very illuminating in all contexts...from us being measurements-driven (starting 30 years ago, before Schiit even existed) to the problems inherent in the "one number to rule them," to what we can do about it to get some balance. I'll put the PDF up here on my thread, I'm sure, afterwards as well.
Hello. I need a little bit of help. I have the HiFiMan HE1000v2 headphones and I'm looking at one of your amplifiers for them. I'm looking at the Asgard, Jotunheim, Midgard and the Lyr. I want a wide soundstage, with plenty of detail and with a creamy organic sound to it. Am I asking too much? If not, which of the amps above would work best for me? Thank you in advance for your help.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #199 of 621
How much ventilation does the Modius/Midgard stack needed? I keep seeing those under desk mounts and it got me thinking I could 3D print one for myself to save desk space. However I'm concerned about having enough room around the units so they don't overheat.

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #200 of 621
How much ventilation does the Modius/Midgard stack needed? I keep seeing those under desk mounts and it got me thinking I could 3D print one for myself to save desk space. However I'm concerned about having enough room around the units so they don't overheat.
I run them right on top each other with Midgard on top. Modius has no vents. Midgard runs warm but no real heat issue to worry about...

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #201 of 621
Great, I'll look into 3D printing a mounting bracket in that case.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #203 of 621
That's exactly what I was thinking — have a space on the top so it can breath.

Nov 9, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #204 of 621
My Midgard arrived today but I'm waiting for my Modius to get here tomorrow. Would it be a bad idea to hook up my SMSL iDEA to use as a DAC the meantime? I know it has a small amp in it so I'm not sure how that works hooking up an amp to an amp or if I can cause any damage.

This is the SMSL product in question: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html?m=1

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #205 of 621
Nov 9, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #207 of 621
My Midgard arrived today but I'm waiting for my Modius to get here tomorrow. Would it be a bad idea to hook up my SMSL iDEA to use as a DAC the meantime?

I say give it a try! It can't hurt anything. Just be sure to turn it all the way up.

And it should give you a small...'iDEA'... of what the Midgard sounds like.

dr-evil-evil-laugh.gif

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #208 of 621
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #209 of 621
Is there anything I need to know about setting the volume on the SMSL? I'm very curious how the SMSL iDEA will sound versus the Modius. It has an ES9018Q2C in it.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #210 of 621
Is there anything I need to know about setting the volume on the SMSL? I'm very curious how the SMSL iDEA will sound versus the Modius. It has an ES9018Q2C in it.

Not really. Just turn up the volume on the iDEA until it maxes out. Virtually all dongle DACs output less than 2V from their 3.5mm jacks when maxed out, so there is no chance of clipping the RCA input of the Midgard.

Then turn on the Midgard and turn up the volume!

FYI, you might need to use the High Gain setting if you are using your HD 6XX because of their high 300 ohm impedance.

FYI #2, make sure to always turn down the volume before switching from Low to High gain, if music is playing while you are doing this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back