Schiit MAGNI to much power for 32 Ohm headphones?
Feb 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pclov3r

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at buying a amp posisbly and saw that Schiit MAGNI seems to be good. Alotho, I was thinking that this would be to much power for 32 Ohm headphones.

Do you have any comments about this? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Not true.
Just listen at a reasonable volume.

The truth is:
Your ears will be damaged by excessively high volume before your headphones will be damaged.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I use it on my 32 Ohm headphones, I fret a little over channel imbalance, but it doesn't really exist at over 9 o'clock on the volume pot. I usually listen at 10, although it is louder than I would normally listen to, it'll suit the average listener. If you get it, and want more volume play, people in the Magni thread use Harrison Labs attenuators in the back of the Magni for a more gradual volume increase (I might if my new DAC turns out to be too loud with the Magni).

What headphones would you be using?

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 8
I have the fidelio X1 with 30 ohm impedance and 500mw of maximum power.

Is the magni so powerfull for this headphones?

Anyone has tested the x1 with magni and modi?

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 8
It should work, but you'd probably have to turn the volume control all the way down (probably below 8 o'clock) for reasonable levels. This is if you have a 2 V source. If you use a portable player with ~0.5 V output you will get a more usable volume control range - it wills till be small though.

(Sensitivity of the X1 is 100 dB at a single milliwatt of input.)

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I was looking at buying a amp posisbly and saw that Schiit MAGNI seems to be good. Alotho, I was thinking that this would be to much power for 32 Ohm headphones.

Do you have any comments about this? 

It's no problem as long as you don't crank the volume too loud. Even at max volume it's not enough to destroy a headphone. Not sure about an IEM.
With windows volume at 100% and using my ODAC as a source, my 38 ohm DJ100 requires about 7:30 on the volume dial. My Q701 doesn't need much more..

It does seem a bit noisy when I have it paused and turn the volume way up. I use a ferrite bead on the power cable and use well shielded audio cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back