Schiit Magni+ and Magni Heretic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #49 of 210
Very much.

Listening now fed by Modi + and using Shanling MG600 IEM, perhaps not the most obvious combination but it sounds excellent.
Great!
Enjoy the music!
So many great choices out there....many are just fine....
Too much focus on -120db vs -110 db etc...
Ridiculous at times...and the debate will never end.
In the end its your ears and what make you smile!
From ear to ear!
ha!

Merry Christmas!
Alex

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #50 of 210
Great!
Enjoy the music!
So many great choices out there....many are just fine....
Too much focus on -120db vs -110 db etc...
Ridiculous at times...and the debate will never end.
In the end its your ears and what make you smile!
From ear to ear!
ha!

Merry Christmas!
Alex

Indeed ....

And a very Merry Christmas and a safe and happy holiday season to you and yours Alex.

Bryce

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #51 of 210
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #53 of 210
Well there are many places where you will get parts of all this...its all over the place with knowledge and opinions subjective to objective and all parts in between.
The problem here is there are so many parts and over time and how they are used in differing circuits.
Then there is the does it really matter etc...

IMO you need to get a good base understanding of what an amplifier is, what its supposed to do...and there are many differing areas to delve into.

Its not black and white.

I would take a stab and say discrete amp designs are harder to design and get running with stellar specs.
Using op amps instead of totally all discrete amp designs tend to be easier to design and make with great specs.

Other than that you need to look at some theory, basic electrical theory, take some classes, understand how they work, what classes there are etc..

There is no perfect answer here.

The final arbitrator will be your ears when you listen to differing designs...

Good luck on your journey!
:>)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...f-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/
This is the first post in Schiits HUGE thread, You can start reading the Schiit Story throughout the years and learn alot as well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/discrete-vs-opamp.621877/
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...-design-unsure-about-real-parts-vs-simulation
https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/chips-vs-discrete/

Thanks for your reply. I've been reading the post in the Schiit thread that introduces the Magni 3+ and Heresy, the dedicated Magni3+ and Heresy thread, as well as some linked pages, and starting to feel like I'm getting a bit of a grasp of the matter.

https://headphones.com/blogs/review...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison
From this review and comparison of the previous models I get the feeling I might prefer the Heretic over the Magni+. Just from drawing a parallel with IEMs, where I have a slight preference for the clarity of all BA models over the fuller sound of Dynamic Drivers.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #54 of 210
Thanks for your reply. I've been reading the post in the Schiit thread that introduces the Magni 3+ and Heresy, the dedicated Magni3+ and Heresy thread, as well as some linked pages, and starting to feel like I'm getting a bit of a grasp of the matter.

https://headphones.com/blogs/review...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison
From this review and comparison of the previous models I get the feeling I might prefer the Heretic over the Magni+. Just from drawing a parallel with IEMs, where I have a slight preference for the clarity of all BA models over the fuller sound of Dynamic Drivers.
There are BIG differences in amp designs.
But most amps that are designed well, dont oscillate, and dont exceed their design limitations are usually pretty much the same for what they do. Amplify.
The differences we think we can hear are often minuscule in the overall scheme of things.
Splitting hairs often.

Enjoy!

Dec 19, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #55 of 210
Easily amused ..... you have lost me on what is funny there.

Yeah, always better to laugh than sulk :thumbsup:

Schiit likes to play with names. Nobles obliges, you could say :)

You do know the meaning of Heresy and Heretic, I presume :D

Have a nice day :)

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #56 of 210
Yeah, always better to laugh than sulk :thumbsup:

Schiit likes to play with names. Nobles obliges, you could say :)

You do know the meaning of Heresy and Heretic, I presume :D

Have a nice day :)

Yes I know Schiit play with names.

Yes I know what heresy and heretic mean.

I asked a previous poster if he understood what Schiit were trying to achieve with two amplifier options and the reason behind the Heresy/Heretic name.

You then laugh at my post and now ask me if I know what heresy means. Why would I not know what it means ?

Laughing at my comment and then turning my own question back to me makes absolutely zero sense.

I have to assume something was lost in a language barrier.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #57 of 210
Yes I know Schiit play with names.

Yes I know what heresy and heretic mean.

I asked a previous poster if he understood what Schiit were trying to achieve with two amplifier options and the reason behind the Heresy/Heretic name.

You then laugh at my post and now ask me if I know what heresy means. Why would I not know what it means ?

Laughing at my comment and then turning my own question back to me makes absolutely zero sense.

I have to assume something was lost in a language barrier.
Let me add some light on this topic.

Jason Stoddard the co-founder of Schiit is an analog electrical engineer that loves to design discrete amplifiers for audio. IMO for him its more interesting and challenging to design a discrete amp vs a op amp based amp...

Discrete amps have been measured for specs and usually dont have as good as specs as an integrated op amp design.

So Jason for years stuck with discrete designs.

Then after years of this and many great amps, discrete he decided to show the world and one specific entity which will go un-named here that he could design and build and sell a NON discrete amp...the Heretic op amp design which has stellar specs etc...and they was kind of the exact opposite of the discrete designs that Jason puts out.

So this is why and what he did. He succeeded in making a very good and very good measuring amp as well as a stellar measuring amp with op amps.

and YOU get to decide which on YOU like.

Over and out..

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #59 of 210
Let me add some light on this topic.

Jason Stoddard the co-founder of Schiit is an analog electrical engineer that loves to design discrete amplifiers for audio. IMO for him its more interesting and challenging to design a discrete amp vs a op amp based amp...

Discrete amps have been measured for specs and usually dont have as good as specs as an integrated op amp design.

So Jason for years stuck with discrete designs.

Then after years of this and many great amps, discrete he decided to show the world and one specific entity which will go un-named here that he could design and build and sell a NON discrete amp...the Heretic op amp design which has stellar specs etc...and they was kind of the exact opposite of the discrete designs that Jason puts out.

So this is why and what he did. He succeeded in making a very good and very good measuring amp as well as a stellar measuring amp with op amps.

and YOU get to decide which on YOU like.

Over and out..

No light needed for me, I am perfectly aware of what you posted above.

I was simply trying to understand what Marekm interaction with my post was about. He made no sense.

Doesn’t matter ….

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #60 of 210
Has anyone heard both the Heretic and The Magni+? I got the Heretic a week ago and dig it so far but am tempted to buy a close out 3+ from the Schiit bargain section. I never grew to love my regular 3 from 2017 but am curious if the 3+ was a drastic improvement. Read somewhere the difference between. The + and 3+ is more or less a layout and the multi position gain switch. I’m also strictly a HD-6XX user and tempted to just save my pennies and get an xDuo TA-26. Heard good things about those paired with the 6XX’s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back