Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
May 23, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #226 of 395
I just got a Magni 3+, I really like the amp, except the small volume pot.
Sound-wise, the amp is never fatiguing, neutral, black background.
I don’t think that there is a stack out there that can compete with the magni 3+/modi 3 objectively or subjectively for the cost. I kept the schiit stick and returned the smsl sp200/m200 stack.

May 24, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #227 of 395
I'm afraid there are not many options right now. Schiit-europe has no stock. Schiit UK cannot ship to many countries in EU. You could try Schiit USA and take a gamble on importing and tax costs

I imported from the USA ... no import duty into France but freight was a bit steep and then the freight company charged me €25 euros on top for handling

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #228 of 395
Just got the Heresy and setting it up to tune out:
M2X will act as transport for the moment
1591058120878.png

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #229 of 395
Just got the Heresy and setting it up to tune out:
M2X will act as transport for the moment
1591058120878.png

Enjoy. I enjoy my Heresy a lot. I'm enjoying it with a Focal Elear with Utopia pads right now.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #231 of 395
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me, I'm using this amp connected to my Astell and Kern SP1000M, is it better to max out the amp volume and control the music volume from my DAP, or is it better to max out the DAP and control the music volume from amp?

How do you control the source VS amp volume for optimal listening quality?

Or is it a case of it doesn't matter?

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #232 of 395
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me, I'm using this amp connected to my Astell and Kern SP1000M, is it better to max out the amp volume and control the music volume from my DAP, or is it better to max out the DAP and control the music volume from amp?

How do you control the source VS amp volume for optimal listening quality?

Or is it a case of it doesn't matter?

It would be better to max out the DAP volume and control the volume from the amp, UNLESS you experience clipping doing that. If you experience clipping, reduce the volume on the DAP just enough so it is no longer a problem.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #234 of 395
I'm fuming and hope my head fi ers can help.

Ordered Heresy off ebay and got it today. It doesn't work.

It came with this power supply.
https://imgur.com/gallery/211ZSAT

Does this work for the Heresy? The light comes on but, no sound. I fear this supply doesn't work, it's obviously the wrong supply, but I also really fear that it will damage the Heresy. Any thoughts? The manual says the protection relay mutes the output for 15-20 seconds, and then will engage with a click. I never get a click!

If it is wrong, can someone point me to one on Amazon that works so I can get it quickly and enjoy my Heresy? Thanks! (ebay seller says just return it, but I've been waiting weeks for this because idiot seller sent to wrong address so it had to go all the way back to him and re shipped to me. And now here I am and it's incredibly disappointing and frustrating!)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #235 of 395
That is not the correct adapter, I would recommend just returning it as I don't think that it outputting the correct voltage and the seller is liable if they did not inform you that the original adapter was included.

Edit: originally thought it was outputting ac current because my brain misfired which would have been real bad but looks like it is undervolting it which probably won't damage it but I would not take the chance personally.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #236 of 395
That is not the correct adapter, I would recommend just returning it as I don't think that it outputting the correct voltage and the seller is liable if they did not inform you that the original adapter was included.

Edit: originally thought it was outputting ac current because my brain misfired which would have been real bad but looks like it is undervolting it which probably won't damage it but I would not take the chance personally.

Thank you, that is what I'm doing. The post didn't say original adaptor, but the adaptor included did not match the one from the photo. It's just really angers me because I've been looking for a Heresy on ebay, finally see one, save a few bucks, and then: (1) the seller sends it to the wrong address so it goes all the way from FL to TX, and then back to FL, and then he sent it to correct address and (2) this adaptor debacle. Ughhhh. I think I'm going to just order Heresy from Schiit tonight. Screw ebay.

Thanks!!

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #237 of 395
Thank you, that is what I'm doing. The post didn't say original adaptor, but the adaptor included did not match the one from the photo. It's just really angers me because I've been looking for a Heresy on ebay, finally see one, save a few bucks, and then: (1) the seller sends it to the wrong address so it goes all the way from FL to TX, and then back to FL, and then he sent it to correct address and (2) this adaptor debacle. Ughhhh. I think I'm going to just order Heresy from Schiit tonight. Screw ebay.

Thanks!!
Not sure how good a deal you got on eBay, but Schiit has a few Heresy B-Stock available if you're looking to save a few bucks.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #238 of 395
I'm fuming and hope my head fi ers can help.

Ordered Heresy off ebay and got it today. It doesn't work.

It came with this power supply.
https://imgur.com/gallery/211ZSAT

Does this work for the Heresy? The light comes on but, no sound. I fear this supply doesn't work, it's obviously the wrong supply, but I also really fear that it will damage the Heresy. Any thoughts? The manual says the protection relay mutes the output for 15-20 seconds, and then will engage with a click. I never get a click!

If it is wrong, can someone point me to one on Amazon that works so I can get it quickly and enjoy my Heresy? Thanks! (ebay seller says just return it, but I've been waiting weeks for this because idiot seller sent to wrong address so it had to go all the way back to him and re shipped to me. And now here I am and it's incredibly disappointing and frustrating!)

This is what you need: Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

Schiit does sell the adapter separately.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #240 of 395
Here's my take on them:

A couple of thoughts: Most "opamp-based" amps just have 2 single or one dual opamp for the output. The Magni Heresy has 8. That's a bit different from the usual.

My guess is that the subtle differences are down to the slightly better linearity of the 3+ which is the result of matched components. It only showed up on some tracks for me.

My first impression for all the op amps was for increased current capability....and then I read this at the Schiit webiste:

OPA1688 for output—eight (8) OPA1688 stages per channel, for low output impedance and very high current capability

Tada!!
Alex
:>)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back