Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 395
I personally really like the black and red, but holy moly, changing over everything...plus lots of people like silver, or have silver. Or want black and gray. Or want a white and black "Stormtrooper" edition (Tyler keeps asking me for that.)

So, yeah, I hear you...but not really feasible.

Put some Star Wars markings on that Stormtrooper edition and it would sell like hot cake to the older audiophile from back in the day when Star Wars came out. Think of all those audio nerds in their 40s and 50s nowadays. Although I'd say it's more likely for these people to be interested in more premium devices, not the Magni + Modi combo, which ends up becoming a bigger financial gamble making themed Mjolnir + Yg.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 395
hah! I'd replace my magni 3/modi 3 with a magni 3+/modi 3 in stormtrooper. It would look (and sound) great next to my white/black pc.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 395
abit late to the game (work, black friday shopping, home renovation etc) but I was quietly catching up and reading everything, I saw the red black Magni photo and that got a "Holy Schiit" out from me.

Want to get them both, but they're both "want it" rather than "need it" items given that I already have the Jot. We'll see, but sometimes it just boogles my mind what Schiit can squeeze out from 99 buckeroos.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 395
I personally really like the black and red, but holy moly, changing over everything...plus lots of people like silver, or have silver. Or want black and gray. Or want a white and black "Stormtrooper" edition (Tyler keeps asking me for that.)

No, nothing wrong with silver. That's Schiit. And yet, also because you're known to go crazy sometimes wouldn't it be cool for 2020 and onward to include the black schemes for all gear? 'Changing over everything' doesn't seem a thing if finishing stock first. I haven't much of an idea what it takes. For example will prices raise by $10, $20 or more? None?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 395

Oh gosh, black and grey, or Storm Trooper. Or Black and blue. I can see that being a big pain logistically.

Unless you keep the switches and volume knobs unpainted, and just paint the top black like is already happening, The manufacturer would just have to change the one colour after a batch of bottom pieces......

.....Buuuuuuuut I'd want the knob and switches coloured too like the Heresy is.

Also if you make a higher end Op Amp based amp, you should totally call it "Heretic"

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #23 of 395

White and black would be pretty awesome.

The Black and red looks really cool have to admit. Would have been better if there was a matching red/black Modi. The black silver one is okay but looks a little strange stacked. Looking forward to seeing people compare these! Its a cool option for people to compare a more exotic kind of amp to a great measuring op amp based design without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money. The improvement in Magni 3+ measurements is really impressive.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #29 of 395
First review and comparison!
https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison

I am on the fence since I have the original Magni 3 and I am wondering if the improvement to the Magni 3+ are worth the purchase.

That is a great article and the kind of thing I was really hoping would come out of the Magni Heresy release. Very happy Schiit released these two amps as its a cheap way to get a exotic topology and a excellent OP amp based amp to A/B against each other. Think a lot of great content and information will come out it. They are perfect candidates for blind tests like that.

Would be great if we could see a lot of blind tests between the Heresy and Magni 3 + pop up at meets and events all over the place, would be a great way for people to find out if they can hear a difference. I was very skeptical about how much difference amps/dacs could make until I actually heard it for myself and A/Bed a lot of gear.

I am not suprised that the author couldnt tell the difference between the Heresy and the Atom/Archel I think the low distortion TI op amp based stuff all does sound much the same. They make amazing starter amps as it gives you a nice baseline to compare other amps to and are really useful for content production where accuracy is paramount. I find other types of amps often sound better for listening to music and gaming though.

It sounds like the Magni 3+ is a solid improvement over the original Magni 3 too, I am one of the people who actually disliked the Magni 3 as I found it sounded compressed. Based on the authors comments that doesnt appear to be the case with the +. Great time to get into HIFI that is for sure, everyone is spoiled for choice now!

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 395
Am I the only one who like Heresy very much but can not stand the bold red color?

Au contraire. If I had to choose, soundwise, I would probably go with the Magni 3+. But I like very much the color scheme of Heresy and Hel. I could buy both and trade the shells, but then I would have to deal with that white LED of the Magni 3+. I hate white LED and I don't know if they are easly changeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back