Schiit Magni 2 uber vs Asgard 2 for Sennheiser HD700
Aug 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cloud13cherish

New Head-Fier
  First of all, I'd like to say that I use Meridain Explorer 2 as a DAC and I'm fine with it. I kinda feel that Meridain Explorer 2 won't power the HD700 well since it's 150 Ω. So, I looked on head-fi forums and found out that some users use Schiit Vali as an AMP. I got advice by the user and this helped me consider buying an amp. But, I have to consider that I live out of the US and this will be a disadvantage for me if anything needs to sent back to the company for repair,etc. Especially, when it comes to tube amps, I have to consider the cost I'll have the cover.
   As I search more about Schiit audio products, I came into 2 options, Schiit Magni 2 uber and Asgard 2. Asgard 2 costs more about $100 and it's a A class? amp which I really don't know what good about class A amp. I can see that it gets hot but maybe I have to careful with that factor. I wish to know how Asgard 2 is greater? than Magni 2 uber or vice versa. I do hear that Asgard 2 has a great build and sound quality similar to $500~$900 amp? from some reiews because it does not use extravagant components.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 19
I have the Asgard 2 and the Magni 2 Uber.

The Asgard 2 seems to have slightly better clarity but I'm not absolutely sure about that. The quality is very close.

The Asgard 2 does get very hot but I've left it on for weeks without anything bad happening. Magni 2 Uber is more powerful with lower impedance headphones the Asgard 2 is more powerful with high impedance cans.

If either or I'd probably pick the Magni 2 Uber just because every pair of headphones you put on it sounds great, while some cans may not sound good on the Asgard 2.

Sorry if that doesn't makes sense.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 19
I can see that it gets hot but maybe I have to careful with that factor.

Well, as a Class A amp, it is going to run full out in terms of power usage regardless of how loud you are running it. I thought the Asgard 2 had good sound, but it tended to help heat up my home office in the summer time.

And based on testimonials like the one inthere just gave you comparing the two, if I were buying the Asgard 2 again and the Magni 2 Uber were available, I would go for it. Really depends on whether or not the difference price is significant to you or not :)

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 19
I have the Asgard 2 and the Magni 2 Uber.

The Asgard 2 seems to have slightly better clarity but I'm not absolutely sure about that. The quality is very close.

The Asgard 2 does get very hot but I've left it on for weeks without anything bad happening. Magni 2 Uber is more powerful with lower impedance headphones the Asgard 2 is more powerful with high impedance cans.

If either or I'd probably pick the Magni 2 Uber just because every pair of headphones you put on it sounds great, while some cans may not sound good on the Asgard 2.

Sorry if that doesn't makes sense.

I use B&W P7 [22ohm] and am going to use HD700 [150ohm]. So... I guess P7 is low impedance and HD700 is high impedance, um... right? Well I don't know how hot it gets, like is it 50 celcius which is rather warm ? Aside from that temperature, is there not much difference in sound quality?

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 19
Well, as a Class A amp, it is going to run full out in terms of power usage regardless of how loud you are running it. I thought the Asgard 2 had good sound, but it tended to help heat up my home office in the summer time.

And based on testimonials like the one inthere just gave you comparing the two, if I were buying the Asgard 2 again and the Magni 2 Uber were available, I would go for it. Really depends on whether or not the difference price is significant to you or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I guess I have to consider the price not that important;y because it's a matter of which one produces better sound.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, I guess I have to consider the price not that important;y because it's a matter of which one produces better sound.

I liked the sound of the Asgard 2. But didn't care for the heat output given that I also used it as a pre-amp for my speakers. So it was on a lot when I didn't use the headphone amp part. Because Class A amps are always running pretty much full out, they are not very efficient in terms of power usage. Offended my energy conservation sensibilities :)

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 19
I liked the sound of the Asgard 2. But didn't care for the heat output given that I also used it as a pre-amp for my speakers. So it was on a lot when I didn't use the headphone amp part. Because Class A amps are always running pretty much full out, they are not very efficient in terms of power usage. Offended my energy conservation sensibilities
smily_headphones1.gif

I use Meridian Explorer 2 as a DAC and I learned that E2 amp isn't that powerful enought to power HD700. But, I do need to know like if there's a big improvement on the sound when you use a amp with a DAC. I appreciate the sound I hear from using E2 as a DAC with B&W P7 but I'm also curious if it's better with Asgard 2 than Magni 2 Uber. Uf... sorry, it's like I am paying for something that I'm going to use within a decade.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 19
Asgard 2 is the next step up from the Magni 2 in terms of powering more powerful headphones.
Inefficient or high impedance headphones will be better with the Asgard 2 period.

If you have any of the mid to higher end AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Hifiman etc... they will be better off with a Asgard 2.

Not to say the Magni 2 won't drive them, they just won't be as loud/clear probably.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 19
I use Meridian Explorer 2 as a DAC and I learned that E2 amp isn't that powerful enought to power HD700. But, I do need to know like if there's a big improvement on the sound when you use a amp with a DAC. I appreciate the sound I hear from using E2 as a DAC with B&W P7 but I'm also curious if it's better with Asgard 2 than Magni 2 Uber. Uf... sorry, it's like I am paying for something that I'm going to use within a decade.

Well, I don't know enough about the E2, but I thought it has some kind of minimal amp in it other than just being a DAC. Although I would imagine that it's not that powerful.

If that is the case, there are two primary ways a better amp might help:

1) An amp does not have low enough output impedance for the headphones. The general rule is a low output impedance 1/8 that of the headphones, or otherwise dampening and accurate frequency response could be affected. Both the Asgard 2 and Magni 2 (or Uber edition) are significantly low enough that they will work well with even low impedance headphones.

2) An amp does not provide enough current or voltage for the headphones to easily reach the desired listening volume and provide enough headphone for dynamic peaks. Seems to me either the Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2 ought to do fine in that regard given the HD700s impedance and sensitivity.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 19
According to specs. the Magni 2 Uber would 
Originally Posted by cloud13cherish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use B&W P7 [22ohm] and am going to use HD700 [150ohm]. So... I guess P7 is low impedance and HD700 is high impedance, um... right? Well I don't know how hot it gets, like is it 50 celcius which is rather warm ? Aside from that temperature, is there not much difference in sound quality?

According to specs on the Schiit site, the Magni 2 Uber would would be more powerful driving the P7's and the Asgard 2 would be more powerful driving the Sennheisers. 

I don't have either headphone but both amps are very good and I don't really think you'd go wrong with either. As I said before i *think* I hear a *very* slight edge in clarity and soundstage with the Asgard but that could be expectation bias. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 19
According to specs on the Schiit site, the Magni 2 Uber would would be more powerful driving the P7's and the Asgard 2 would be more powerful driving the Sennheisers. 

Although, based on their specs, these differences would be marginal. It takes double the wattage to achieve +3db more volume. So maybe a couple of db louder for the Magni 2 with lower impedance headphones, and less than that for the Asgard 2 with high impedance.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 19
    First of all, I'd like to say that I use Meridain Explorer 2 as a DAC and I'm fine with it. I kinda feel that Meridain Explorer 2 won't power the HD700 well since it's 150 Ω. So, I looked on head-fi forums and found out that some users use Schiit Vali as an AMP. I got advice by the user and this helped me consider buying an amp. But, I have to consider that I live out of the US and this will be a disadvantage for me if anything needs to sent back to the company for repair,etc. Especially, when it comes to tube amps, I have to consider the cost I'll have the cover.

Vali isn't user-serviceable; the tubes will just stop working after like 10,000 hours of total usage. That's a decade ish of use for $119 (less than half the price of Asgard!), and anyway, per their website:

What happens when the tubes croak? 
You'd send it back to us and we'll replace them for $20. If they ever do go bad, that is. We're betting they won't.

Bottom line is the Vali is a great headphone for the Sennheiser line, and will likely mitigate some of the HD700's shrillness. I'd take the plunge.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 19
I too am still looking for an answer to the original question that was posted:
 "Schiit Magni 2 uber vs Asgard 2 for Sennheiser HD700 "

I see many comments and some from folks who have owned both, but no actual reply has been given that I can find. (I see answers about the Vahalla,  tube talk, etc about different DACs, but no answer to the question asked)  "Schiit Magni 2 uber vs Asgard 2 for Sennheiser HD700? "

I am going to buy one of these two this upcoming week to use with my HD 700's and would love to know peoples thoughts.  I have a DAC for use with it, but only need to know about the amp choices based on someone trying both, or owning both, what they think is the best choice between these two and only those two are.
Thanks!

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 19
  I too am still looking for an answer to the original question that was posted:
 "Schiit Magni 2 uber vs Asgard 2 for Sennheiser HD700 "

I see many comments and some from folks who have owned both, but no actual reply has been given that I can find. (I see answers about the Vahalla,  tube talk, etc about different DACs, but no answer to the question asked)  "Schiit Magni 2 uber vs Asgard 2 for Sennheiser HD700? "

I am going to buy one of these two this upcoming week to use with my HD 700's and would love to know peoples thoughts.  I have a DAC for use with it, but only need to know about the amp choices based on someone trying both, or owning both, what they think is the best choice between these two and only those two are.
Thanks!

I owned both at one time, and used them with my HD 800. I preferred the Asgard, as it was a bit smoother into the HD 800s.  I've gone balanced, so now use the new Jotunheim. 

The Asgard is a much more substantial piece of kit then the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back