Schiit Lyr Static noise/crackling
Sep 22, 2017 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Zacmanmerl

New Head-Fier
Hey, just bought a used Schiit Lyr (hybrid amp), paired with a Schiit Bifrost Uber, and it has very noticible static/crackling noise. It isn't hearable most of the time while playing music, but I also want to use my amp and dac while playing games and this is way too distracting to be enjoyable.
I tried unplugging all cords to the DAC, still there. Tried changing tubes from the ones I was given, tried changing the power source from multibox to direct in the wall, tried changing headphones, still there. The only thing that changes is the static sound changes position depending on headphone. DT770 Pro 80's, it's the left ear. HD555's, it's the right ear. I plan to buy a pair of HE-560's in the near future but would really like to get this sorted out first. I've seen recommendations of using an ungrounded wire to power it, this would suit me as I use a good quality multibox with surge protection. if anyone had any recommendations i'd really appreciate it as I have seen mention of tube amps being "noisy" but jesus this can get really bad sometimes and downright irritable. There is a constant quiet sound that comes through and then there's these big crackles that also come through but much louder and even louder than the music, but these are inconsistant.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 19
Well not sure what you have tried but eliminate each one at a time. You said you unplugged the cables from the dac but it is still there? Is this with the amp with no inputs at all and you have the noise?

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, so it's the amp with nothing in it but the headphones, power and the tubes. The noise is there. With no tubes in at all there's no noise at all. My thoughts were perhaps the tubes are picking up too much interference somehow but i'm super new to this

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Man, that's a bummer. I must've been too liberal in estimating how good those tubes were. The seller must've sold you near end-of-life tubes, or they got damaged in shipping. Hope the seller heavily discounted the price on the tubes. I recommend a matched pair of JJ E88CC's gold pin (but these could have a scratchy noise when adjusting the sound) or Russian 6H23p-EB tubes (more expensive, but better quality) to start out with. Plenty of other options out there, though. I'm just recommending a couple I tried and liked.

A couple places for tubes are:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 19
I'm really hoping it's not the tubes. Getting a groundless cable soon, so hopefully that can eliminate the problem. And don't worry man crap happens, if anything it's just lesson learned that I should've gone with the base package and not the extra tubes.
Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty sure the seller knew about it as when I asked about the scratching he acknowledged the problem and recommended me get a Wyrd, saying he just dealt with it for the time he had the amp.

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 19
My Lyr 2 is dead quiet except for some hum and hiss at max volume on high gain. I reread your post and if changing the tubes didn't help, it could be a fault in the amp itself (but definitely hopefully not, this is fortunately less likely but still possible). I have had pops and crackling in my equipment with the computer 3.5mm stereo headphone output active. Try disabling the output from your onboard audio to the headphone jacks. Mics too if you don't use a microphone. These settings can be found by right-clicking the volume icon on the task bar and selecting Playback / Recording devices. Let us know if that or the groundless wire or Wyrd fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 19
My Lyr 2 is dead quiet except for some hum and hiss at max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
MAX VOLUME ON HIGH GAIN

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 19
max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
max volume on high gain
MAX VOLUME ON HIGH GAIN

lol yeah the Lyr 2 is most like "MAX VOLUME ON HIGH GAIN" when maxed to the max. I'm definitely not wearing the headphones or playing sound when doing that, hehe :upside_down:.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 19
Grounded cable didn't work. Will try get some new tubes and if that fixes the issue then ask for a refund for the tube part, hopefully he will accept.. :/
Unfortunately I don't think a Wyrd etc will work as the problem happens even with no connection to the DAC or anything. It's definitely either the amp or the tubes.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 19
Weird, I just got a Lyr 3 and have the same issue, mine is coming from the PC best I can tell, all USB devices disconnected, still there.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 19
SOLVED: Solved by plugging PC power ONLY into a seperate wall socket and plugging the Lyr 3 into a socket as far away as possible, clear as a bell :dt880smile:

Edit: Spoke slightly to soon, its 80% better, just small crackle and mouse noise at 75% volume high gain.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 19
SOLVED: Solved by plugging PC power ONLY into a seperate wall socket and plugging the Lyr 3 into a socket as far away as possible, clear as a bell :dt880smile:
As a rule of thumb (or any preferred digit), your audio electronics should be plugged into separate wall sockets / circuits from those where computer / internet gear are plugged in. Also, if not in place, you should consider power filters / conditioners for your audio electronics.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 19
SUPER SOLVED: RCA Gound Loop Isolator $15 , literally perfect MAX VOLUME ON HIGH GAIN :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back