Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #1,261 of 1,331
oops! I had Midgard on the brain for something else. I meant Modi Multibit or the Bifrost.
The answer is still Bifrost 2/64. I take full responsibility for your future audio bliss, you're welcome

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,262 of 1,331
Okay, Bifrost 2/64 is now on my “to buy“ list. In the mean time I’ve ordered, at half the cost, the SMSL DO300 to try. It can easily go into another system around the house if I like it and when it’s time to get more Schiit. The SMSL arrives tomorrow and then I’ll try the LYR out.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,263 of 1,331
I got the Lyr all set up with the DO300 about 30 minutes ago. Physically and visually the two devices go well together (a bonus pic will be shared later). I used Pyst USB cable from desktop to SMSL, Pyst RCA interconnects between DAC and Lyr, and Audioquest Forest interconnects from Lyr to Kanto PU4 speakers. I put the supplied tube in and turned everything on.

Before doing any Settings adjustments I loaded up a flac file to test audio. I freaked at first because no matter which volume knob I turned there was no sound being emitted although in Windows 11 Pro audio settings it was showing a signal via SMSL USB Output. I was pushing buttons, switching switches, turning knobs, and checking cables even though the setup is quite simple.

What I wasn’t doing was cranking the Lyr amp volume all the way, the DO300 default is preset to +2.0 dB. So I turned Lyr‘s clicky knob more and by the 11 o’clock position I could make out faint audio. So I turned all the way to max and the music got louder but not spectacularly loud. Hmmm. I found there was a bit of volume headroom left on the powered speakers so I turned those up to max. Louder, but still kinda “meh”. It’s not that I will play “loud” all the time but it’s good to know if there is some headroom left for the times I really want to crank it. I have not actually tried headphones into the Lyr yet. Maybe it’ll be louder through them? I would say 90% of listening, whether music or gaming, will be via the bookshelf speakers.

I had more volume coming from the Modi/Magni stack previously connected. So now I have to do some investigating on any improvements that can be done with this set up. Is there a limitation to one of the pieces of this audio puzzle? I’ll have to experiment.

I also owe it to myself to actually read all the posts here in this thread as well as SMSL DO300 thread.

Anyway, a scotch has been poured and I’m off to the trialing & erroring portion of this endeavour!

[Update/3 scotches later]
I got it! Key was the Gain setting. 'High' really does make a difference. Now playback w/ volume @ 12 o'clock position provides enough presence for a good listening experience. Turning beyond that gets plenty loud and by three o'clock can start getting a bit muddled, needing to adjust bass/treble @ the speakers. I am very happy now.

Now, I have to go to the DO300 and play around w/ filters and stuff.

IMG_0573.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #1,264 of 1,331
I wanted to ask if there are other Hybrid tube amps out there like the Lyr? By the end of the year I'm likely to grab an Yggdrasil and a step up from the Lyr but really love the whole SS amp that flavors with tubes.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #1,265 of 1,331
I wanted to ask if there are other Hybrid tube amps out there like the Lyr? By the end of the year I'm likely to grab an Yggdrasil and a step up from the Lyr but really love the whole SS amp that flavors with tubes.
Check out ifi ican and similar offering. I'm selling my LYR+ because it doesn't provide the tube experience I expected, but the ifi micro idsd ican does, and a friend of mine god the PRO Ican and it rocks

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #1,266 of 1,331
Check out ifi ican and similar offering. I'm selling my LYR+ because it doesn't provide the tube experience I expected, but the ifi micro idsd ican does, and a friend of mine god the PRO Ican and it rocks
Exactly what I'm looking for! And they drive Susvara which is great cuz I want a pair. Now if I can find an Yggdrasil type deal that isn't the Bifrost 2/64 (already own it) but isn't nearly as humongous were talking

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #1,267 of 1,331
Is it usual for Schiit to send the Lyr 3 when I ordered the Lyr+? Still waiting on Schiit to reply.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #1,268 of 1,331
Is it usual for Schiit to send the Lyr 3 when I ordered the Lyr+? Still waiting on Schiit to reply.
Hell nah ! They made a mistake.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #1,269 of 1,331
No, unless you bought a Lyr 3 in b stock. All new Lyr models are the +

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #1,270 of 1,331

How the heck did that happen? Wow.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #1,271 of 1,331
No, unless you bought a Lyr 3 in b stock. All new Lyr models are the +
I bought the Lyr + B stock. I have the receipt to prove it too.

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #1,272 of 1,331

How long ago did you buy? I don't see any Lyr+ or otherwise in their B-Stock inventory as of now.

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,273 of 1,331
Yea, check your order page as it should specify which version you bought. If you got a + and they sent a 3 then they'll get it fixed for you

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #1,274 of 1,331
How long ago did you buy? I don't see any Lyr+ or otherwise in their B-Stock inventory as of now.
I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I was surprised it came up when I was checking Schiit as well. So I bought it immediately after confirming I didn’t misread the description.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #1,275 of 1,331
I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I was surprised it came up when I was checking Schiit as well. So I bought it immediately after confirming I didn’t misread the description.
Yeah, almost too good to be true. I wonder, since it was only one unit, someone else also bought around the same time as you and then Schiit pulled a fast one. Interested to hear what they say to you, maybe they'll exchange the Lyr 3 for a non-B Lyr+ for you (I think they should).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back