Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #1,291 of 1,331
It makes for a compelling little setup. The Lyr+ is a very good amp and I've also found that it scales up very well with more premium DACs. In my case, a Chord Qutest. If you get a long weekend, take a shot at putting the Yggdrasil in the chain.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #1,293 of 1,331
Even with the volume all the way down, seeing a Lyr+ with the high gain light lit up and Grados plugged in makes me nervous.
Why? Even with easy to drive headphones I stay on high gain, I think it sounds better. Just keep it set to 0 and start your music, move up from there. Always the rule

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #1,294 of 1,331
With the non-linear stepped volume pot, there's VERY few instances where you need low gain.

I have just one headphone, a vintage pair, that I use with low gain, and that's only because it came from the era where a "headphone" was a pair of mini-speakers being crammed into giant cups that engulfed your entire head. In other words, actual 8 ohm speakers, with ~79 dB/mW sensitivity in my case. So, crazy sensitive. And on low gain the Lyr+ has to go all the way to 1 o'clock on them.

So yeah, low gain is VERY low gain, and only really for very specific use cases.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #1,295 of 1,331
Even with the volume all the way down, seeing a Lyr+ with the high gain light lit up and Grados plugged in makes me nervous.
I listen between 11 - 1 o'clock with my GS3000x @ 32 ohms and between 1 - 3 o'clock with my HD 800 S @ 300 ohms on high gain with the Lyr +. Noise floor is raised slightly with the Grado, but otherwise no issues. IMO, the Grado sounds more energetic on high gain. Have you had a different experience?

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #1,296 of 1,331
Running the LYR+ w/2x Sylvania 6J5 and the AKG K702|65th Anniversary Edition w/aftermarket OCC cable.
The best I've heard from the K702 since getting them. There is something hard and disjoint about the AKG's when driven by the [SS] SMSL SP400 that simply vanishes with the LYR+. Instead, a balanced, coherent, smooth, presentation with a wealth of detail, tonal differentiation and engaging musicality. In short, like an altogether different set of headphones(!).
So good that I've hung up the HD8xx for the time being(!).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #1,297 of 1,331
Hello everyone,

I've read through as much of this thread as I can, and some others at AudioScienceReview and SuperBestAudioFriends, but I'm still having a hard time deciding between the Jotunheim 2 and the Lyr+, specifically for pairing with the Sennheiser HD800s. In either case, I'd be running off a Modius DAC. A bifrost is out of the picture for me, financially.

A lot of people have a lot of good things to say about the Jot 2, and it's certainly a lot cheaper. I'm wondering what the Lyr really gets me, since its tube mode is not very tubey, and its SS mode is still heating the tube anyway.

Detail and clarity are the most important aspects of music to me. I want no veiling, no muffling. That's the whole reason I bought the HD800s to upgrade from my 6XX.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #1,298 of 1,331
Have not heard the Jot 2.
However, to my ears and with suitable tube selection [e.g. a decent Sylvania 6SN7], the ["sticker-modded"] HD8xx lack neither detail nor clarity when driven by the LYR+.
While not "tubey", per se, the LYR+ renders respective tube-to-tube differences pretty clearly.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #1,299 of 1,331
Have not heard the Jot 2.
However, to my ears and with suitable tube selection [e.g. a decent Sylvania 6SN7], the ["sticker-modded"] HD8xx lack neither detail nor clarity when driven by the LYR+.
While not "tubey", per se, the LYR+ renders respective tube-to-tube differences clearly.
Thanks for your reply.

I take it you feel there is a distinct and audible difference between the various tubes and the SS-mode of the Lyr+?

I'm worried I won't be able to hear the difference, and should therefore just go with the Jot 2. I don't seem to have very discerning ears, apparently. For example, the sound stage of the HD800s and the HD6XX's sound exactly the same to me, which is apparently blasphemy. So, I don't know if I can pick up on the subtle difference between tube sound and SS, especially when the tube is hybrid.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #1,300 of 1,331
Thanks for your reply.

I take it you feel there is a distinct and audible difference between the various tubes and the SS-mode of the Lyr+?
You're welcome.

Yes. One should hear distinct and audible differences along those lines with the LYR+.

Although I listen to the LYR+ mostly in tube/hybrid mode. Its SS mode is very good, too, but secondary to me and--I would guess(?)--to many other of us LYR+ users. That combination of versatility and competency is an[other] added bonus with the LYR+.

Hopefully we can get someone who has done comparative listening with both the Jot 2 and the LYR+ to chime in and properly address your original inquiry.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #1,302 of 1,331
Thank you for the link. I've read through a lot of these kinds of threads already, and unfortunately, they're always outdated.

For example, after reading a thread like that one, I think "okay, the lyr 3 is the better option"

But then I read about how the Jot 2 is so much better than the Jot 1, which wasn't reflected in that thread, so then... does it become a contender again? Perhaps the improved Jot 2 surpasses the Lyr 3.

Oh but then I read about how the Lyr+ is so much better than the Lyr 3... so does this now pull it out ahead of the Jot 2 ?

So far I haven't been able to find anything directly comparing the two. As you said, hopefully we'll get someone here.

BTW, I think I edited my original reply to you after you had already read it and were typing up yours. See my little addition about my fears over hearing a difference, given what my ears seem to be like. I take it you still feel the Lyrs tube mode is different than the solid state?

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #1,303 of 1,331
I'm worried I won't be able to hear the difference and should therefore just go with the Jot 2. I don't seem to have very discerning ears, apparently. For example, the sound stage of the HD800s and the HD6XX's sound exactly the same to me, which is apparently blasphemy. So, I don't know if I can pick up on the subtle difference between tube sound and SS, especially when the tube is hybrid.
That might be your queue to go with the Jot 2, then.
Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?
Ideally there might be a LYR+ owner within driving distance and you can get an audition.
To my ears the LYR+ in tube/hybrid mode is [definitely] audibly different from, and subjectively more enjoyable than, in SS mode.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #1,304 of 1,331
Hello everyone,

I've read through as much of this thread as I can, and some others at AudioScienceReview and SuperBestAudioFriends, but I'm still having a hard time deciding between the Jotunheim 2 and the Lyr+, specifically for pairing with the Sennheiser HD800s. In either case, I'd be running off a Modius DAC. A bifrost is out of the picture for me, financially.

A lot of people have a lot of good things to say about the Jot 2, and it's certainly a lot cheaper. I'm wondering what the Lyr really gets me, since its tube mode is not very tubey, and its SS mode is still heating the tube anyway.

Detail and clarity are the most important aspects of music to me. I want no veiling, no muffling. That's the whole reason I bought the HD800s to upgrade from my 6XX.
I've had Jot 2 and now Lyr+

The Lyr in Solid state is every bit of the amp the Jot 2 is but just a smidge of warmth. The Lyr however takes out the Jot 2 when you go into tube mode. It creates a nice 3D soundstage, and can be farther colored depending on the tube. All the details and clarity you can want.

I used to think warmth = veil but that's just not true. You can have warmth and still be super detailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back