Schiit Lyr 3 vs Jotunheim
May 17, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 14
I have both. Along with HD650, LCD-2, and ZMF Aeolus. The Lyr 3 is the better amp overall. More engaging and addictive to listen to. The Jot is more aggressive and intense, a good amp but not quite like the Lyr 3 in general.

May 17, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 14
I have both. Along with HD650, LCD-2, and ZMF Aeolus. The Lyr 3 is the better amp overall. More engaging and addictive to listen to. The Jot is more aggressive and intense, a good amp but not quite like the Lyr 3 in general.

more aggressive and intense?

sounds like what i seek haha, do u mean the lyr 3 is more laidback and relaxed sounding?

May 17, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 14
btw i noticed that the output for jotunheim SE is rather low in comparison to the lyr 3 which has only SE

going forward, might that be a problem? or i'd need to get balanced cables..

May 17, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 14
btw i noticed that the output for jotunheim SE is rather low in comparison to the lyr 3 which has only SE

going forward, might that be a problem? or i'd need to get balanced cables..

Even balanced output out of the Jotunheim is markedly lower vs the Lyr.

Whether either will be enough depends on what headphones you have and are planning to buy.

May 17, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Both are more than powerful enough for the ZMF Aeolus and HD650. The Schiit website, schiit.com, has the full specs for both. Lyr 3 is more powerful but the Jot is not far behind in balanced mode.

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 14
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there are any more opinions on the jot vs lyr3? I am planning to buy the aeon 2 closed by dan clark audio and while this is a planar magnatic with low ohm but also low sensitivity I am not sure if balanced is really needed for these. So I am leaning a bit more towards the lyr 3 since then I also would not need different cables for the headphones for at home and on the go use. But what synergy do you guy s think is best with the dca's?
I am planning to use a bifrost 2 as dac so then balanced might make more sense but I could also use xlr for the active nearfield monitors I am planning to buy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Only planning to use the amp with the dca's will connect speakers directly to dac.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

May 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 14
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there are any more opinions on the jot vs lyr3? I am planning to buy the aeon 2 closed by dan clark audio and while this is a planar magnatic with low ohm but also low sensitivity I am not sure if balanced is really needed for these. So I am leaning a bit more towards the lyr 3 since then I also would not need different cables for the headphones for at home and on the go use. But what synergy do you guy s think is best with the dca's?
I am planning to use a bifrost 2 as dac so then balanced might make more sense but I could also use xlr for the active nearfield monitors I am planning to buy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Only planning to use the amp with the dca's will connect speakers directly to dac.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,
I have the same but older configuration...original MB Bifrost, Jot, first gen Aeon closed back. I've enjoyed it very much but as others have mentioned, the jot while impressive, can be a bit too analytical and somewhat fatiguing with certain types of music. I just added a Lyr 3 yesterday so still forming an opinion. So far, I am preferring the Lyr 3. It seems to be everything the Jot is but with any edge or harshness removed or noticeably reduced. More enjoyable, for longer periods, across all music genres. No sacrifice in detail, upper or lower end extension. Staging and imaging seems comparable. A Bifrost 2 is my next upgrade. Let us know what direction you went and how you like it.

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 14
I’ve been considering the purchase of a Lyr 3 because my Jot is just a week in. My bifrosf 2 is currently running through an Element 2. I’m wanting to try something tubey, but figured the Lyr wasn’t that and more of an in between a solid state and a tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back