Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,217 of 1,331
I loved the BF2 and would get it again if I didn't read about the 2/64. It was a bit thick for me at times especially when I got the Echo so I'd rather have the option to color through my amp and keep the DAC more neutral. I think the Lyr+ should have enough warmth for me since I like a little smidge of it. I'm putting a Psvane UK into it which won't arrive until Wednesday so I'm excited 😁

Good points. Also.......stop making good points I'm trying to not spend more money! :joy:

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #1,218 of 1,331
Good points. Also.......stop making good points I'm trying to not spend more money! :joy:
Tell me about it, I just got back into the hobby. My wallet is crying 😭 Once I get the Bifrost though I'm done for a while... Until I buy the Atrium that is lol

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #1,220 of 1,331
I'm glad you mentioned the tube orientation, even though it triggered horrible flashbacks for me... :confounded: It's good that others that might be new to 6SN7 tubes be mindful of that, it's shockingly easy to insert it wrong.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the synergy with the 2/64. I have yet to upgrade my BF2 on reports of the 2/64 being overall brighter and less slammy, and my headphones already steer towards the bright side.
The 2/64 is quite neutral, and for whatever reason, if your USB source is (presumably) electrically noisy, it can be a touch hard/harsh (compared with using a good streamer as the source -- USB or coax, or just optical since it doesn't carry noise).
I loved the BF2 and would get it again if I didn't read about the 2/64. It was a bit thick for me at times especially when I got the Echo so I'd rather have the option to color through my amp and keep the DAC more neutral. I think the Lyr+ should have enough warmth for me since I like a little smidge of it. I'm putting a Psvane UK into it which won't arrive until Wednesday so I'm excited 😁
Sometimes I find the original 2 to be a bit too warm, and sometimes I prefer it. It gives something of an "old school" hi-fi sound with the Jotunheim, which is using a circuit that behaves more like a tube amp. I also have a Topping CS-based DAC in for review, and the 2/64 is close to it in sound. The CS-based DACs are a bit softer than many of the ESS-based DACs I've heard. The Bifrost is a bit more "musical" with instruments than the Topping, but it can be hard to tell the difference with a lot of music (and dependent on what else is being used, especially the headphones/speakers).
So, I think that some people aren't going to like the 2/64 because it loses the old character of the 2, even if it does sound a bit clearer. You can always throw it into NOS mode though, though it doesn't make a big difference.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #1,221 of 1,331
Got my Lyr+ today and surprisingly my Psvane UK showed up as well! I got to put about an hour and a half into listening and didn't want to turn it off but I have class to go to.

It really surprised me how absolutely incredible this amp sounds. I kinda have to look at the Midgard with a stink face now because it sounds dry and boring in comparison. The Lyr+ with the Psvane transformed my soundstage into a holographic stage. It was taller and rounder, sounds float in the air as opposed to just being there. Everything is ethereal on my Amiron Home, and the 1990 sound incredible too. The treble sharpness is softer but not nearly enough to lessen the actual detail, it's just not so sibilant. The amp is barely warm sounding, just giving some more musicality and fullness but not overly colored. Wow it's incredible

I cannot wait to pair this with a Bifrost 2/64

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,222 of 1,331
Tried out SS mode for a grand total of about 30 seconds. Others have mentioned the same but the imaging just flattened out. My nice 3D holographic soundstage became a flat wall. I didn't think I'd be using SS mode much outside of maybe with my 1990s if I felt the bass took too much of a hit in tube mode. I'm not finding much lacking however, maybe the punch is a bit softer and rounded out but it's there. If anything as I listen it's better than the Midgard, thicker and more powerful. So tube mode it is!

Edit: Good god this amp is incredible. I liked my 1990s in the first place, but they were detailed and less musical than my Amiron Home. No longer the case, both headphones have been elevated. I'm noticing more prominent, powerful bass that doesn't bleed into mids, it's really textured as well. I'm noticing this with mids as well. When I think detail I think treble, but the bass on every song is so prominently different. It's full and musical, imaging is on a different level. I'm yet again noticing things I've never noticed in songs. Wow wow wow I've had goosebumps several times already

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #1,223 of 1,331
The more I listen to the LYR+ in solid state mode, the more I come to appreciate its merits as a solid state amplifier. The dichotomy between tube/hybrid and solid state [and the LYR+'s respective competencies as either/or] further attests to the versatility and desirability of this fine Schiit amp.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #1,224 of 1,331
It's the best amp I've ever heard, I like it heartily over the Echo MkII I had. It's the greatness of SS amps combined with the staging and smoothness of a tube amp, absolutely incredible. I can't wait for a Bifrost 2/64 to pop up for sale anymore, I'll be ordering one from Schiit before I go to sleep tonight

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #1,225 of 1,331
It's the best amp I've ever heard, I like it heartily over the Echo MkII I had. It's the greatness of SS amps combined with the staging and smoothness of a tube amp, absolutely incredible. I can't wait for a Bifrost 2/64 to pop up for sale anymore, I'll be ordering one from Schiit before I go to sleep tonight
Ah, gear lust. It's a beautiful thing ⚙️:heart_eyes:

I was reading about the Midgard last night after you mentioned it. Were you running it in Halo mode, and balanced in from the Modius E, and balanced out to the cans? I assume so, but figured I'd ask. It's an interesting experiment by Jason. I have no need for either, being more than satisfied with my current Stack o' Schiit.

Enjoy :beers:

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #1,226 of 1,331
Ah, gear lust. It's a beautiful thing ⚙️:heart_eyes:

I was reading about the Midgard last night after you mentioned it. Were you running it in Halo mode, and balanced in from the Modius E, and balanced out to the cans? I assume so, but figured I'd ask. It's an interesting experiment by Jason. I have no need for either, being more than satisfied with my current Stack o' Schiit.

Enjoy :beers:
No it's not, my wallet 😭 Bifrost 2 is on the way

I did run balanced between the Modius and Midgard but never got to try out Halo. Only my Amiron have a removable cable and my audiophile Ninja cable wouldn't seat properly in the cans. They made enough contact where I could hear faintly but not enough to fully work. Didn't care to spend more in other cables since the Lyr+ was coming in.

At this point the Midgard and Modius are going to my Audio interface and out to my studio monitors. I'm unsure if it'll work or give any type of improvements but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work they're going up for sale

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,227 of 1,331
The more I listen to the LYR+ in solid state mode, the more I come to appreciate its merits as a solid state amplifier. The dichotomy between tube/hybrid and solid state [and the LYR+'s respective competencies as either/or] further attests to the versatility and desirability of this fine Schiit amp.

I think it's fine in a pinch and I've certainly heard SS amps that are worse, but a good dedicated SS amp will pretty handily trounce it, as expected. Basically, I wouldn't buy the Lyr+ expecting it to be an end-game tube and SS amp in one, but rather a tube hybrid with an SS mode as a back-up (maybe while you wait for a replacement tube to come in the mail), which is pretty much how they advertise it.

It's kind of weird to me that it's such a heavily emphasized feature, even given a fancy marketing name, the "Fusion Architecture", because I basically consider SS mode ignorable. It's not like it hurts it being there, and it's still worth the $100 over the Lyr 3 with that stepped attenuator and motorized remote volume control, but yeah. SS mode is kind of throwaway.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #1,228 of 1,331
I think it's fine in a pinch and I've certainly heard SS amps that are worse, but a good dedicated SS amp will pretty handily trounce it, as expected. Basically, I wouldn't buy the Lyr+ expecting it to be an end-game tube and SS amp in one, but rather a tube hybrid with an SS mode as a back-up (maybe while you wait for a replacement tube to come in the mail), which is pretty much how they advertise it.

It's kind of weird to me that it's such a heavily emphasized feature, even given a fancy marketing name, the "Fusion Architecture", because I basically consider SS mode ignorable. It's not like it hurts it being there, and it's still worth the $100 over the Lyr 3 with that stepped attenuator and motorized remote volume control, but yeah. SS mode is kind of throwaway.
To which I gently but firmly respond: "au contraire mon frère!"
:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,229 of 1,331
I see people have mixed opinions on Lyr+ SS mode. I'm looking to have great tube and SS options in my stack, to suit my mood. If I were to get Lyr+ would it be worth also getting a dedicated SS, like an Asgard or Midgard? Or would the SS mode be comparable? Or would you suggest something else entirely? I'm living on a budget and trying not to break the bank, one reason I'm such a fan of Schiit. But I'm accepting suggestions for any stack, as long as each individual component can be had for under $1000 (happy to buy used). Currently planning to put these amps on my Bifrost 2 (I have 2/64 and OG cards). If there's a strong case for a different DAC I would be willing to consider it, but I think it would be tough to beat the price to performance of what I have.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #1,230 of 1,331
I see people have mixed opinions on Lyr+ SS mode. I'm looking to have great tube and SS options in my stack, to suit my mood. If I were to get Lyr+ would it be worth also getting a dedicated SS, like an Asgard or Midgard? Or would the SS mode be comparable? Or would you suggest something else entirely? I'm living on a budget and trying not to break the bank, one reason I'm such a fan of Schiit. But I'm accepting suggestions for any stack, as long as each individual component can be had for under $1000 (happy to buy used). Currently planning to put these amps on my Bifrost 2 (I have 2/64 and OG cards). If there's a strong case for a different DAC I would be willing to consider it, but I think it would be tough to beat the price to performance of what I have.

I find the SS to be significantly better than Asgard 3, especially with planars. With 300ohm sennheisers, they are closer. The Asgard 3 is noticeably softer and tubbier than the Lyr+, though some may enjoy the laid back nature of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back