Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #661 of 1,355
I have made a very superfluous purchase.

20230206_182604.jpg

I literally bought it because I thought it looked cool.

20230206_190645.jpg

Couldn't tell you what it sounds like yet as I only played a few seconds to make sure it's working, then went off to eat some dinner. One funny quirk though is that it's sensitive to my desk lamp being on. If it's on I get buzzing on one side. Never used a vintage NOS tube before but I guess that's a potential anomaly, huh?

For those wanting to know, this is a Raytheon 6F8G with a 6SN7 adapter.
Man that is a super cool looking tube, love that box too!!

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #662 of 1,355

20230206_182604.jpg

20230206_190645.jpg

Couldn't tell you what it sounds like yet as I only played a few seconds to make sure it's working, then went off to eat some dinner. One funny quirk though is that it's sensitive to my desk lamp being on. If it's on I get buzzing on one side. Never used a vintage NOS tube before but I guess that's a potential anomaly, huh?

It's say right on the tin - "For Better Radio Reception" - RFI is performance art radio, best not received. :sweat_smile:

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #663 of 1,355
It's say right on the tin - "For Better Radio Reception" - RFI is performance art radio, best not received. :sweat_smile:

Yes....this is a daytime tube for sure. In the evening I need my desk lamp, so for now I switched back to the Psvane. I did listen to a few tracks in the dark though, and it sounds REALLY interesting. Really airy and spacious, almost ethereal. Fantastic detail and separation. A little less forward in the mids compared to the Psvane.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #664 of 1,355

20230206_182604.jpg

20230206_190645.jpg

That is a very cool-looking tube! I may have to get one just for the looks. Where did you get the adapter?

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #665 of 1,355
That is a very cool-looking tube! I may have to get one just for the looks. Where did you get the adapter?

The eBay seller threw it in with the tube. Seller name is tubes4less

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #667 of 1,355
Just an update, in case anyone is in same situation. Schiit sent me a label to send back the Lyr, when they get confirmation I have mailed it back they are going to send me a new Lyr replacement and my 15 day period restarts once I receive that one. This is a pretty good solution I feel, not quite cross ship, but pretty good.
Oh wow that's nice! Hope round 2 goes well for you!

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #668 of 1,355
Just an update, in case anyone is in same situation. Schiit sent me a label to send back the Lyr, when they get confirmation I have mailed it back they are going to send me a new Lyr replacement and my 15 day period restarts once I receive that one. This is a pretty good solution I feel, not quite cross ship, but pretty good.

In a way I'm glad you're giving it one more chance. It's worth it if you get a good working one. Really is an amazing amp. An amp made out of egg shells, maybe, but still a great amp when the stars all align.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #669 of 1,355
Quick question, is the Lyr + in ss mode a step up from the Asgard 3?

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #670 of 1,355
Recommend you proactively stay on it - I sent mine back for repair and they never contacted me. I have to contact them to get a verification they were working on it (a day or two after the shipping notice indicated delivery to their Valencia site) and nobody said anything until a week later I got a return shipping notification via USPS. Wasn't real impressive especially when I got it back with the device so improperly mashed together it didn't sit flat and the volume wouldn't turn. Easy to fix but ...come on.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #671 of 1,355
Quick question, is the Lyr + in ss mode a step up from the Asgard 3?
Without a doubt. I have some impressions comparing the two a few pages ago. It's especially an upgrade for lower impedance hp, which I've always been very unsatisfied with through the Asgard.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #672 of 1,355
Wow! That's good treatment. Can't say I got the same treatment but if this is signaling an update to Schiit policies it's for the better.

Feb 7, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #673 of 1,355
Question: How long does power-up take to a) trigger the relay to enable LEDs, b) from there enable power output to the jack, and c) switch to/ from SS/ Tube mode? For me, it's 3s from power up to the initial relay and associated LEDs coming on, and then another 40 seconds for power output to the jack (and associated relay). Switching from Tube to SS and vice versa takes just under 40s as well. High/ Low gain toggling takes 8-10s.

Of course this means nothing to me, but it's significantly different post-repair i.e. 2x for all circuits and I've no clue what, "standard" is...(before or after or variable across the board)...

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #674 of 1,355
Question: How long does power-up take to a) trigger the relay to enable LEDs, b) from there enable power output to the jack, and c) switch to/ from SS/ Tube mode? For me, it's 3s from power up to the initial relay and associated LEDs coming on, and then another 40 seconds for power output to the jack (and associated relay). Switching from Tube to SS and vice versa takes just under 40s as well. High/ Low gain toggling takes 8-10s.

Of course this means nothing to me, but it's significantly different post-repair i.e. 2x for all circuits and I've no clue what, "standard" is...(before or after or variable across the board)...
Your numbers seem about right, jives with mine pretty closely.

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #675 of 1,355
20230207_212518.jpg

Got the new fans in place. These are pretty nifty dual 5v fans wired to a single USB. Only downside is if one of them ever needs replacing, I have to bust out the soldering iron. 50mm and (relatively) low RPM so they're not too bad on noise, but could be quieter. I have them plugged into a USB on/off switch.

Hopefully with this my Lyr+ lasts a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back