Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #631 of 1,374
I am intrigued with getting one of these to use with my Grado 1000e cans, but not until the problems slow down or are eliminated. With an item that has a warranty, such as this, I personally would only go through one repair cycle before returning it if a problem happened a second time. Jason's post on this topic allows for that if you become too frustrated.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #632 of 1,374
I am intrigued with getting one of these to use with my Grado 1000e cans, but not until the problems slow down or are eliminated. With an item that has a warranty, such as this, I personally would only go through one repair cycle before returning it if a problem happened a second time. Jason's post on this topic allows for that if you become too frustrated.
Highly recommended. I will almost never deal with questionable quality. This isn't a trivial design and the results are I think pretty exceptional especially at the price. Those Grados have a huge soundstage and the mid-highs really bite with the tube, in such a unique way. Guitars claw and grind and chew...it's like digging your fingernails into a chunk of hot gold...

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #633 of 1,374
Got my Lyr+ , started to break it in. Just a general question, does your vacuum tube sit perfectly in the middle of the opening, mine is closer to the left side of the opening. Not a huge deal just something I noticed....

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #635 of 1,374

Attachments

• lyr.jpg
    lyr.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #636 of 1,374
Yeah mine is slightly off-center. I don't care enough.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #638 of 1,374
Centered.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #640 of 1,374
Got my Lyr+ , started to break it in. Just a general question, does your vacuum tube sit perfectly in the middle of the opening, mine is closer to the left side of the opening. Not a huge deal just something I noticed....
A.) With the tube out, looking from straight above, is the tube socket in the middle of the opening?
B.) Is the tube glass perpendicular to the tube base?; or is it slightly tilted? This is not uncommon with NOS tubes. They were often hand-made.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #641 of 1,374
Ok awesome, I don't care enough either if its somewhat normal. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't because the internal board was off the standoffs or something. Thanks!!
Add me to the list. Mine looks almost exactly the same. These sorts of tolerances between cage board socket mounting etc. don't bother me. Most people probably wouldn't notice and...I'd rather save the extra cost in getting a few mms right on that than pay 20% more. The socket works, nothing rubs, it's mounting firmly...and it works so ...a $600-$700 device seems very suitable to have this off by a mm or two. Nothing inordinate in that I don't think.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #642 of 1,374
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #643 of 1,374
Here's a vid showing tubes being hand made, not surprising they might be slightly crooked!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #644 of 1,374
The tube glass looks a little tilted versus the brown tube base.
That's a perfect description of mine too. Very ever so slightly but it's not so much off-center as slightly unlevel. Not even remotely an issue for me though. Not to the extent mine is. It's on the cusp of something I'd notice and I'm one of those that notices such things...so minor.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #645 of 1,374
If the tube glass is slightly tilted, do not try to straighten it out. 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back