Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #648 of 1,374
Well I didn't realize I was in low gain mode. I changed to high gain mode and my right channel is half the volume of my left channel. Guess its time to message Schiit. Now debating whether I even do a RMA, I was already 50/50 ordering this unit due to the posts I saw in here about problems. This basically came DOA, I don't want a repair.

Well crap, same issue documented right here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-impressions-thread.964223/post-17299272
and here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-impressions-thread.964223/post-17360241

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #649 of 1,374
Well I didn't realize I was in low gain mode. I changed to high gain mode and my right channel is half the volume of my left channel. Guess its time to message Schiit. Now debating whether I even do a RMA, I was already 50/50 ordering this unit due to the posts I saw in here about problems. This basically came DOA, I don't want a repair.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-impressions-thread.964223/post-17299272
I also had a similar issue, documented above. It was also the right channel, which is most likely coincidence.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #650 of 1,374
I also had a similar issue, documented above. It was also the right channel, which is most likely coincidence.
Yeah, so there are 3 posts and all are right channel so far. What did they end up doing with yours after it failed the second time. I don't want a repair on an amp that was delivered yesterday, would prefer they just send me a new amp.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #651 of 1,374

and here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-impressions-thread.964223/post-17360241

lol "no more fails than usual"

Sorry Jason but I find that REALLY hard to believe now.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #652 of 1,374
Yeah, so there are 3 posts and all are right channel so far. What did they end up doing with yours after it failed the second time. I don't want a repair on an amp that was delivered yesterday, would prefer they just send me a new amp.
Sadly, I returned it for a refund. I also requested for them to just send me a new unit, but they won't promise that up-front. That decision has to be run through their repairs team, according to my customer service contact. So sorry you are having issues.

When the amp was working it sounded fantastic. It's just that "working" bit...

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #653 of 1,374
Sadly, I returned it for a refund. I also requested for them to just send me a new unit, but they won't promise that up-front. That decision has to be run through their repairs team, according to my customer service contact. So sorry you are having issues.

When the amp was working it sounded fantastic. It's just that "working" bit...
I was afraid you were going to say that, what did you end up getting instead? I don't understand having to have a brand new amp repaired, any other store you walk in and say this is defective and they give you a new one.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #654 of 1,374
I was afraid you were going to say that, what did you end up getting instead? I don't understand having to have a brand new amp repaired, any other store you walk in and say this is defective and they give you a new one.

Honestly you're probably better off getting it repaired because it seems like a new one has a 50/50 chance of having faulty components. At least when it's repaired, you generally know the faulty parts are gone.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #655 of 1,374
I ended up getting a Topping D30Pro/A30Pro stack. Much less color and fun flavor than the Lyr+, but it's versatile and can drive almost any headphones I throw at it. I still plan on getting a tube amp in the not-too-distant future and would love to go with Schiit if I can be more confident in that purchase. I haven't decided on a non-Schiit option for the tube amp but my research turned up xDuoo TA-20 or TA-26 as possibilities, and people also recommend the Darkvoice although it has problems with certain loads. Other than that going 'whole hog' with something like a Cayin or Feliks would be a more expensive option. But I am not experienced in this area and would be open to suggestions.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #656 of 1,374
Honestly you're probably better off getting it repaired because it seems like a new one has a 50/50 chance of having faulty components. At least when it's repaired, you generally know the faulty parts are gone.
One of the links I posted above they had it repaired and then came back and died. Something rubs me wrong about paying for basically a refurbished product out of the gate, especially for 700 bucks. I may just return it and start my search elsewhere I guess, only stack I have bought was Schiit so I was going to stay there but this is turning me off the brand really quick.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #657 of 1,374
One of the links I posted above they had it repaired and then came back and died. Something rubs me wrong about paying for basically a refurbished product out of the gate, especially for 700 bucks. I may just return it and start my search elsewhere I guess, only stack I have bought was Schiit so I was going to stay there but this is turning me off the brand really quick.

I don't blame you. At this point, even though there isn't really an equivalent competitor, I wouldn't recommend the Lyr+ to people unless they go in fully ready to deal with a high likelihood of returns/repairs and being on pins and needles while using it. Otherwise, they're better off waiting for a used Lyr 3 to pop up for sale.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #658 of 1,374
I don't blame you. At this point, even though there isn't really an equivalent competitor, I wouldn't recommend the Lyr+ to people unless they go in fully ready to deal with a high likelihood of returns/repairs and being on pins and needles while using it. Otherwise, they're better off waiting for a used Lyr 3 to pop up for sale.
"Assembled in CA..." - what else did you expect, where people want $75/ hour to exist and bless you with their exhale...

No, you build it in China, where the Politburo holds a gun to mommy's head and tells a 12 year-old, "Get it right or Mom gets it in the a$$.."...like Apple and everyone else. Then you can depend on it.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #659 of 1,374
This is how I ended up with a Burson Soloist 3X Performance, which is quite a bit more cash but quite a bit more amp as well. It's clearly not a tube, but you can swap out op amps which doesn't seem near as fun though may be similarly utilitarian in shaping sound. It doesn't measure - or sound - like a SS amp so much, and in truth it's far superior in terms of raw power and most importantly, staging. Depth is exceptional - it makes the Lyr+ seem wide but flat and thin. Lots more body. That said, the sound profile may not be for everyone or every can, but can certainly tweak things w/ a quality EQ or (Windows) APO.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #660 of 1,374
I have made a very superfluous purchase.

20230206_182604.jpg

I literally bought it because I thought it looked cool.

20230206_190645.jpg

Couldn't tell you what it sounds like yet as I only played a few seconds to make sure it's working, then went off to eat some dinner. One funny quirk though is that it's sensitive to my desk lamp being on. If it's on I get buzzing on one side. Never used a vintage NOS tube before but I guess that's a potential anomaly, huh?

For those wanting to know, this is a Raytheon 6F8G with a 6SN7 adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back