Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #451 of 1,331
Yeah, but I was looking for actual help. 😉
Mine was bricked for some time as well. Unplugging it didn't immediately fix it either. But I was at least able to get some output from it before that. Did you insert the tube yet?

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #452 of 1,331
Help ..... it literally doesn't work, send it back !

I came here expecting to read how great the Lyr + was as I was vaguely interested in getting one ...... not any more, the number of problems being talked about is just ridiculous !
Yes, help. Suggestions. A work around. Perhaps there’s something I could jiggle to at least get it to make a musical sound. A response with 50% less snark, too. You know. That kind of thing. I’m new at this.

@Jason Stoddard, not looking looking for you to troubleshoot or anything. Just wanted to point out some possible QC issues. Not sure how often you check threads outside of your blog.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #453 of 1,331
Mine was bricked for some time as well. Unplugging it didn't immediately fix it either. But I was at least able to get some output from it before that. Did you insert the tube yet?
I’ve tried it with and without tube. Tried pressing “around” buttons, on the panel directly, as well. Tried it with the new Bifrost and without. Just grasping at straws. If I read your post right, it worked, then bricked. You had it repaired? Or did it start working on its own?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #454 of 1,331
I’ve tried it with and without tube. Tried pressing “around” buttons, on the panel directly, as well. Tried it with the new Bifrost and without. Just grasping at straws. If I read your post right, it worked, then bricked. You had it repairs? Or did it start working on its own?
I only just got it on Friday. It was "working" in the sense that audio was playing, but I first had the pleasure of the left channel playing a loud static sound, which stopped fortunately, only for me me to discover that the low end in SS mode was distorting at moderate volumes. I switched to tube mode which worked as it should, but then switching back is what caused it to brick. I turned it back on after unplugging it and let it work itself out until I heard the click signifying that it was ready. Took a few a unnerving minutes but it got there. Didn't press any buttons.

I get that you really want to find a temporary fix so you could at least try the amp, but I can't think of a solution here besides leaving it on until it potentially sorts itself out internally. Most importantly, having to find a solution at all just to use the product should not be necessary to begin with, of course.

Others have suggested that the buttons being misalligned is causing the unit to malfunction and that nudging the panel may help the buttons allign properly. I noticed that my buttons were functioning better when I was holding the unit compared to it being on the desk.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #455 of 1,331
I just received mine today and unfortunately, no go. No sound. Problem symptoms: remote not working; input button isn’t pressable; gain button is pressable but lights on both sides are on.

Thoughts? 😟

Good gravy. What a problematic amp.

Two posts above yours another person wasn't having any sound coming out until they were able to nudge the buttons back into position. Sometimes you can pull slightly on the front from underneath, jiggle the buttons, until they work their way into place. Seems like it's quite easy for those buttons to go wonky.

Aside from that, Schiit support is your only other option. You can't open the unit without voiding the warranty, so that really limits your troubleshooting options.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #456 of 1,331
Yes, help. Suggestions. A work around. Perhaps there’s something I could jiggle to at least get it to make a musical sound. A response with 50% less snark, too. You know. That kind of thing. I’m new at this.

@Jason Stoddard, not looking looking for you to troubleshoot or anything. Just wanted to point out some possible QC issues. Not sure how often you check threads outside of your blog.

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't intend any snark in the slightest, I genuinely thought sending it straight back when the thing doesn't work literally out of the box was the pragmatic thing to do and the best version of help that could be offered.

If you choose to do otherwise all power to you.

Good luck either way ..... I will be steering well clear of a Lyr + that is for sure !

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #457 of 1,331
I briefly listened to it with my Empire Ear Odins and I heard no hiss at reasonable volume levels with those. So it seems this might be IEM friendly as it will have a quiet background with at least some of them.
I think it can probably work for most IEMs on low gain and in solid state mode. With Andromeda S (which is obviously something of a torture test for noise floor), the noise is clearly audible for me on both low gain modes and is certainly too loud on high gain, also adding some obvious power supply hum on high gain tube mode. An IEMatch on the lower impedance setting is plenty to clean it up for the Andromedas on both low gain modes. I'm not sure if there's a reason to use Lyr+ in tube high gain mode with Andromedas, but the IEMatch on its higher impedance setting was enough to make that usable for me. With Kato, the noise floor is again audible for me with both high gain modes, but just barely audible on both low gain modes. With Kato on an IEMatch on the lower impedance setting, it disappears. Noise doesn't really seem to change with the volume knob position and sounds the same to me from one end to the other.

For all of those who are having trouble with the amp, I hope they can get that sorted out for you in a timely fashion. I ordered mine last summer from the earliest production run and based on that I can say that the design of the amp is certainly capable of being completely reliable, in my case even running for hours in a room over 80°F and with tubes of questionable provenance.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #458 of 1,331
The Lyr+ arrived yesterday.
Is it normal that you can not press the low / high gain button properly like the other buttons? You get no acoustic feedback in the form of a "click" when pressing.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #459 of 1,331
The Lyr+ arrived yesterday.
Is it normal that you can not press the low / high gain button properly like the other buttons? You get no acoustic feedback in the form of a "click" when pressing.
Evidently, it is normal, but it's not supposed to be. All buttons should have tactile and audible feedback. In my case, my gain button worked fine, but not the others.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #460 of 1,331
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #461 of 1,331
Evidently, it is normal, but it's not supposed to be. All buttons should have tactile and audible feedback. In my case, my gain button worked fine, but not the others.
All three buttons click the same way for me, with a tactile bump and an audible clicking sound. The sound is only slightly duller than the click from a Bifrost 2 input selection button.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #462 of 1,331
Embarrassing number.
Here in Europe the LYR+ costs 880 € in silver

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #463 of 1,331
I only just got it on Friday. It was "working" in the sense that audio was playing, but I first had the pleasure of the left channel playing a loud static sound, which stopped fortunately, only for me me to discover that the low end in SS mode was distorting at moderate volumes. I switched to tube mode which worked as it should, but then switching back is what caused it to brick. I turned it back on after unplugging it and let it work itself out until I heard the click signifying that it was ready. Took a few a unnerving minutes but it got there. Didn't press any buttons.

I get that you really want to find a temporary fix so you could at least try the amp, but I can't think of a solution here besides leaving it on until it potentially sorts itself out internally. Most importantly, having to find a solution at all just to use the product should not be necessary to begin with, of course.

Others have suggested that the buttons being misalligned is causing the unit to malfunction and that nudging the panel may help the buttons allign properly. I noticed that my buttons were functioning better when I was holding the unit compared to it being on the desk.
Thanks for the suggestions. Turning it on and off, trying it with and without tube, didn’t help. I was able to pull at the bottom very slightly and got the stuck button to move slightly, but that didn’t translate to functionality there or anywhere else.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #464 of 1,331
I just received mine today and unfortunately, no go. No sound. Problem symptoms: remote not working; input button isn’t pressable; gain button is pressable but lights on both sides are on.

Thoughts? 😟

I'm sorry to hear that, but the good news is that (as others have said and I experienced and I wrote about just a bit before your post), there's a simple solution to what is probably wrong!

The front panel is probably slightly misaligned (and I mean in the sense of millimeters: nothing looks or feels off or loose or anything) causing the buttons to not "input" into the amp. That caused mine to become unresponsive (out of the box it worked fine; after I tilted it to unplug it to put in a tube--I simply tested it without a tube at first--that probably moved the front panel/cover enough and caused the buttons to misalign), and the buttons to not be "clicky" enough (they did depress, but felt "off" or weren't depressing in the way to feel effective), no matter what else I did (turn amp off and on, remove/reinstall the tube, run with and without the tube, use the remote, etc).

All I did was just kind of try to move the front panel/cover around a bit with moderate force (like push down on it from the top or sides). I didn't try to pry it at the bottom like others have, and I didn't feel or hear anything "click" into place, but when I pressed the buttons after just pushing the panel/cover around, then all of the sudden the buttons felt properly "clicky" (just like they did at first out of the box) and when I turned it on everything was responsive again (could switch between tube and SS, switch gain, etc) and the sound was back on - in both modes.

Since then, although I've only been playing it for around a hour (listening to it more now, and will some later today, and will report back if there are any other issues), everything is working fine in both tube and SS mode and the remote works everything too.

I hope you can do whatever I and others have done to get the buttons to align properly for then all should be well.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #465 of 1,331
Good gravy. What a problematic amp.

Two posts above yours another person wasn't having any sound coming out until they were able to nudge the buttons back into position. Sometimes you can pull slightly on the front from underneath, jiggle the buttons, until they work their way into place. Seems like it's quite easy for those buttons to go wonky.

Aside from that, Schiit support is your only other option. You can't open the unit without voiding the warranty, so that really limits your troubleshooting options.
Yep, yep, and yep. 🫤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back