Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #166 of 1,331
I haven’t listened to the Echo in a long while but I remember it being tubier sounding (little rounded in the bass and treble sections without loss of resolution) and since it is OTL it was pickier with headphones attached and hissy with low impedance ones. I have a range of high to low impedance headphones so I always ended up drifting towards the higher clarity and resolution with SS and Ampsandsound tube amps. Of course, it makes sense because the Echo is more of a tube amp with the output section as tubes. I do like having a remote control as well as the ability to roll 6SN7s more readily. Hope that helps.
It helped, thanks. Between Echo and Lyr, Echo may be a good choice for me if it offers more tubeiness whenever I want to visit that world. I pray the wallet gods that I will be able to settle to what Echo has to offer... :)

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #167 of 1,331
Oohhhhh, that’s definitely a new level of refinement and natural effortless sound esp with the Hypsos driving the power. The OOR for me was a requirement to own the Susvaras or they got sold. There is really no comparison to the Lyr in terms of power and extension into that frequency range. I got the Lyr because I wanted a tube amp close to my desk that won’t absorb all radio interference but still be a tube amp. The OOR/Hypsos is fantastic and I use it all the time with the hard-to-drive headphones. I just wish it had a remote control. Although, you could drive the OOR in preamp bypass mode with the Lyr as the volume control preamp, too. I haven’t tried that yet. If I did though, I would be giving up balanced connections and direct sound experience of the Holo.

That's what I figured lol.

I'm pretty much settled on the Oor; I think it will "pair well" with my HE1000V2 and EE Odin, although I may still get the Lyr+ for a second bedroom setup where I use the Odins a lot.

Thanks for the comparison!

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #168 of 1,331
How does the Lyr+ compare to the Oor?

I'm trying to decide whether to go up to the level of the Oor or just stay in the $500-700 range for amps.
The Oor (plus Hypsos) is better but it's more expensive (as you know). The Oor is really fantastic; a couple of my headphones need power and it delivers. I still have the Lyr+, I like it too, will keep it around for a different use someday.

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #169 of 1,331
The Oor (plus Hypsos) is better but it's more expensive (as you know). The Oor is really fantastic; a couple of my headphones need power and it delivers. I still have the Lyr+, I like it too, will keep it around for a different use someday.

Thanks for your input!

I just have a problem spending as much or more on amps than on the transducers they drive. I've never done that with speaker setups so I don't know why I have to (to get the sound quality I want) with headphones/IEMs, but it seems to be the case.

Are the differences between the Oor and Lyr+ mainly a matter of technicalities or is there a substantial timbre difference as well?

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #170 of 1,331
Thanks for your input!

I just have a problem spending as much or more on amps than on the transducers they drive. I've never done that with speaker setups so I don't know why I have to (to get the sound quality I want) with headphones/IEMs, but it seems to be the case.

Are the differences between the Oor and Lyr+ mainly a matter of technicalities or is there a substantial timbre difference as well?
I don't have as much experience with the Lyr+ but I would say the Oor is an overall improvement. It sounds right to me + it has the power I need.

You can always grow into an amp and it can last a long time through multiple headphones. At this point I plan to keep the Oor for a long time.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #171 of 1,331
I don't have as much experience with the Lyr+ but I would say the Oor is an overall improvement. It sounds right to me + it has the power I need.

You can always grow into an amp and it can last a long time through multiple headphones. At this point I plan to keep the Oor for a long time.

Thank you: helpful!

"Sounds right" is basically how I'd sum up my favorite gear: it just doesn't sound lacking, it's reference, it makes music sound how I think it should with little to no limitations.

I know, amps (and dacs) do last a long time.

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #172 of 1,331
Has anyone here gone from a Valhalla or Valhalla 2 to Lyr+? I have ye olde Valhalla and am wondering if I should upgrade to Lyr+. I know in the past, the Valhalla line was considered better than the Lyr line for HD 650, but it looks like Schiit hasn't made any upgrades to the Valahlla line lately.

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #173 of 1,331
Has anyone here gone from a Valhalla or Valhalla 2 to Lyr+? I have ye olde Valhalla and am wondering if I should upgrade to Lyr+. I know in the past, the Valhalla line was considered better than the Lyr line for HD 650, but it looks like Schiit hasn't made any upgrades to the Valahlla line lately.

Exactly what I asked in the Valhalla thread : ). Hopefully someone has both or at least had the lyr3 and Valhalla 2 so they can give us some comparisons that are helpful.

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #174 of 1,331
Got my Lyr+ yesterday. It survived Fed Ex delivery (Direct Signature required! ... or not, if they sign for it for you), big ol' hole in the box and all. First tube in is a 1953 Foton. I'd already put a couple hundred hours on it via the Lyr OG, though that was years ago, so it didn't need much warmup. While it was cooking I listened to a pair of 1974 Voskhod Rockets (6N23P) in the Lyr OG feeding HiFiMan Aryas (2nd edition). They're meaty and euphonic, but not detail monsters, though enough to enjoy. Not a fair fight, given the Lyr OG is 9+ years old (see attached photo :wink: ).

At first I positioned the Lyr+ behind my main stack on my turntable, as I could control the volume and functions remotely, but in the end I switched the Lyr+ to the top of my Stack O' Schiit, and relegated the Lyr OG. I find that it's easier to do subtle volume adjustments via amp vs. the remote, and I'll be using it far more, of course. I want to do a comparison with the Lyr OG, and I figure the best way to do so is listen to both of a given pair of 6SN7s to cement the sound in my head, then roll the pair of them in the Lyr OG and go through the same songs.

One thing about the Lyr+ I find.... interesting... is that it seems the only way to switch between tube and MOSFETs is via the remote. Am I missing something?

I've got adapters coming in for my 6DJ8/ECC88/etc., 2C51/5670/6N3P/etc., and 6C8Gs (gotta try), but until then I have plenty of 6SN7s to roll. I'll ask, though I think I know the answer, about 6SL7s. I've got one pair of 6188s, but from what I've read in the Lyr 3 rolling thread, the plate resistance being ~6x great than the 6SN7s, not to mention the far higher gain, mean they probably shouldn't be rolled in the Lyr+. Any comments on that? I'm pretty sure I know what Jason would say, were I to ask him :ksc75smile:

My initial impression with that '53 Foton and the Aryas (fed from a multibit-upgraded 1st gen Bifrost and a Wyrd) is great; detailed and neutral, definitely not bass monsters, but present the lowest end faithfully. Haven't tried SS mode yet.

After ordering the Lyr+ I couldn't resist taking and creating this screenshot. I found the timing of the two orders amusing:

Lyr OG order.jpg

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #175 of 1,331
I'll answer one of my own questions, with a caveat. Just read this over at SBAF:

"Tube and solid-state modes can be toggled via the remote or on the face of the amp by holding down button 5 gain select for a few seconds (this last bit I don't think is in the manual...)"

The caveat is I haven't tried it myself.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #176 of 1,331
I'll answer one of my own questions, with a caveat. Just read this over at SBAF:

"Tube and solid-state modes can be toggled via the remote or on the face of the amp by holding down button 5 gain select for a few seconds (this last bit I don't think is in the manual...)"

The caveat is I haven't tried it myself.

This does work.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #177 of 1,331
After a fairly brief (30 min., same songs) comparison, the Lyr+ is definitely better than the Lyr OG using the 1953 Fotons. It's a bit apples and oranges, as the Lyr OG requires two pairs of socket savers just to be able to get the 6SN7-to-ECC88 adapter visible. A bit a Frankentube's Monster. The Lyr+ is just tighter and blacker all around, so instruments really stand out, esp. subtle bits tucked here and there in a given mix. Also timbre is improved; e.g., a drummer using sticks on the rims rather than drum heads really shines through; or a bowed upright acoustic bass. In general, just better.

There may be slightly less bass slam in the lower regions on the Lyr+, but the quality is improved such that the Lyr OG begins to sound a bit bloated and fuzzy. Some things (mids, upper mids, esp. vocals and guitars) did sound fairly similar. I went back to the same songs on the Lyr+ just to confirm. I've got quite a few 6SN7s to roll, so I'm curious how tubey the Lyr+ can be.

To make it a slightly fairer fight, I'll reverse things and try some ECC88 varieties, using an adapter and probably even a socket saver in the Lyr+. Just awaiting delivery of adapters.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #178 of 1,331
I absolutely love mine with the Psvane hifi 6SN7. Got them from Vivatubes.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #179 of 1,331
Mine just arrived. Is it supposed to be quiet on Low gain with 300 Ohm headphones? Seems the 330mW Magni was louder. Even on high gain, at 12 oclock it's very quiet. Both solid state and tube. Unless the volume on this needs to go further. But at 2 o'clock High gain is where it's at my older Magni was at 10-11. As long as it's normal, I am fine.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #180 of 1,331
Mine just arrived. Is it supposed to be quiet on Low gain with 300 Ohm headphones? Seems the 330mW Magni was louder. Even on high gain, at 12 oclock it's very quiet. Both solid state and tube. Unless the volume on this needs to go further. But at 2 o'clock High gain is where it's at my older Magni was at 10-11. As long as it's normal, I am fine.

Yes, the volume pot is not the same as on your other amps. I run close to 11:00-12:00 on the Lyr+ where other amps I usually am closer to 8:30-9:00 for about the same volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back