Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #151 of 1,342
Asgard 3 doesn't come close from my experience. If Asgard is 5/10 the Lyr+ is 8 or 9.
To each his own. I thoroughly enjoyed the Asgard 3 before upgrading. It remains as a backup.

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #152 of 1,342
To each his own. I thoroughly enjoyed the Asgard 3 before upgrading. It remains as a backup.
Would be cool to see how you compare the two or rate them? Guessing you think they are closer in overall SQ?

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #153 of 1,342
Would be cool to see how you compare the two or rate them? Guessing you think they are closer in overall SQ?
That would require work on my part, something I'm adamantly opposed to.

Remembering something in comparison in my foggy brain is fine. Put it away on a shelf, and maybe come back later... , You're my baby!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #155 of 1,342
I popped in my Western Electric JW 396A with an adapter. Just so lovely.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #157 of 1,342
What adapter did you use? How would you characterize the changes?
I used ones I got off ebay from china, they works pretty good. (warning I'm really bad at describing things) If I had to describe it adds musicality and warmth to the overall package.

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #158 of 1,342
I used ones I got off ebay from china, they works pretty good. (warning I'm really bad at describing things) If I had to describe it adds musicality and warmth to the overall package.
Thanks! Being able to use these tubes might sell me on a Lyr+

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #159 of 1,342
Im really liking what I am hearing. Just got it in today. Popped in Sophia Electric 6SN7s and I have great clarity throughout the range. I think it needs to burn in more to get the bass extension (the tubes are relatively new). There is no background hiss/hum/noise, etc. and I am using Utopias on low gain. Its hooked up to a Hugo 2 running through a SRC-DX from Pi4 running HQPe oversampling at 768kHz. Its so great to be able to have something compact where I can use my 6SN7s, have a remote control, and the ability to run it as a tub pre-amp for other head amps. So far so good. I'm going to try with RME ADI 2 and my Holo Spring3 next. Hugo 2 might be a little too thin.

tempImageWbRUFd.jpg

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #160 of 1,342
Im really liking what I am hearing. Just got it in today. Popped in Sophia Electric 6SN7s and I have great clarity throughout the range. I think it needs to burn in more to get the bass extension (the tubes are relatively new). There is no background hiss/hum/noise, etc. and I am using Utopias on low gain. Its hooked up to a Hugo 2 running through a SRC-DX from Pi4 running HQPe oversampling at 768kHz. Its so great to be able to have something compact where I can use my 6SN7s, have a remote control, and the ability to run it as a tub pre-amp for other head amps. So far so good. I'm going to try with RME ADI 2 and my Holo Spring3 next. Hugo 2 might be a little too thin.

I can see you have Feliks Echo mkII. How would you compare that and Lyr? I just bought Echo from classifieds, but I've also been eyeing Lyr. I may buy Lyr as well, compare the two and sell one, but would like to hear if it's worth it.

I would be using it mainly with Utopia (which I can see you have as well) and I have SparkoS Aries as well as a reference SS amp. Tube is "for fun" and would like it to be different enough to complement the SS amp.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #161 of 1,342
I can see you have Feliks Echo mkII. How would you compare that and Lyr? I just bought Echo from classifieds, but I've also been eyeing Lyr. I may buy Lyr as well, compare the two and sell one, but would like to hear if it's worth it.

I would be using it mainly with Utopia (which I can see you have as well) and I have SparkoS Aries as well as a reference SS amp. Tube is "for fun" and would like it to be different enough to complement the SS amp.
I haven’t listened to the Echo in a long while but I remember it being tubier sounding (little rounded in the bass and treble sections without loss of resolution) and since it is OTL it was pickier with headphones attached and hissy with low impedance ones. I have a range of high to low impedance headphones so I always ended up drifting towards the higher clarity and resolution with SS and Ampsandsound tube amps. Of course, it makes sense because the Echo is more of a tube amp with the output section as tubes. I do like having a remote control as well as the ability to roll 6SN7s more readily. Hope that helps.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #162 of 1,342

tempImageWbRUFd.jpg

How does the Lyr+ compare to the Oor?

I'm trying to decide whether to go up to the level of the Oor or just stay in the $500-700 range for amps.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #163 of 1,342
I haven’t listened to the Echo in a long while but I remember it being tubier sounding (little rounded in the bass and treble sections without loss of resolution) and since it is OTL it was pickier with headphones attached and hissy with low impedance ones. I have a range of high to low impedance headphones so I always ended up drifting towards the higher clarity and resolution with SS and Ampsandsound tube amps. Of course, it makes sense because the Echo is more of a tube amp with the output section as tubes. I do like having a remote control as well as the ability to roll 6SN7s more readily. Hope that helps.
Hello. May I ask what rounded bass and treble meant? Is it one-noted bass/treble and lacking the details? Tks

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #164 of 1,342
How does the Lyr+ compare to the Oor?

I'm trying to decide whether to go up to the level of the Oor or just stay in the $500-700 range for amps.
Oohhhhh, that’s definitely a new level of refinement and natural effortless sound esp with the Hypsos driving the power. The OOR for me was a requirement to own the Susvaras or they got sold. There is really no comparison to the Lyr in terms of power and extension into that frequency range. I got the Lyr because I wanted a tube amp close to my desk that won’t absorb all radio interference but still be a tube amp. The OOR/Hypsos is fantastic and I use it all the time with the hard-to-drive headphones. I just wish it had a remote control. Although, you could drive the OOR in preamp bypass mode with the Lyr as the volume control preamp, too. I haven’t tried that yet. If I did though, I would be giving up balanced connections and direct sound experience of the Holo.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #165 of 1,342
Hello. May I ask what rounded bass and treble meant? Is it one-noted bass/treble and lacking the details? Tks
It's more like sharpness or definition of it. You could think of it as the air around it which results in better imaging. It's subtle but it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back