Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #136 of 1,331
Jason also chimed in with some comments including why the tube heater remains on. I don’t understand how the topography is different than the Freya+ where the tubes are turned off in SS and passive modes. I’ve been on the fence but am not going to hold my breath waiting on tube shutdown.
I think the primary reason is the cost of/ability to fit relays big enough to do tube heater in the amp, not to mention additional complexity in the firmware/pub/controller for getting that working in the amp. Probably just weighed whether they though the extra cost/time/complexity was worth it.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #137 of 1,331
Spent some time this morning A/B-ing the Jot 2 and the Lyr+ in Tube mode, both fed from my Bifrost 2 (no 2/64 upgrade, got it and didn't like it). Used Focal Clear MG and Meze 109 Pro. Overall, these are much closer in presentation than I thought they would be, but Lyr+ seems to have a slightly improved imaging (better instrument separation and an overall more 'coherent' and musical sound).

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #138 of 1,331
Spent some time this morning A/B-ing the Jot 2 and the Lyr+ in Tube mode, both fed from my Bifrost 2 (no 2/64 upgrade, got it and didn't like it). Used Focal Clear MG and Meze 109 Pro. Overall, these are much closer in presentation than I thought they would be, but Lyr+ seems to have a slightly improved imaging (better instrument separation and an overall more 'coherent' and musical sound).
Out of curiosity what didn't you like about the 2/64 upgrade? (in comparison to the orignal)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #139 of 1,331
Out of curiosity what didn't you like about the 2/64 upgrade? (in comparison to the orignal)
In my desktop system (where I use the BF2), there was a touch more detail, but I noted that the highs got a bit more brittle while the middle seemed to thin out. I noticed immediately that I didn't like it as much as the more sweet-sounding OG. I still have the board, and may try it in my full system to see if it sounds better to me there.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #140 of 1,331
Has anyone compared this to Singxer SA1? I currently own that amp but I'm looking to change it out in a few months and I'm intrigued by the options that the Lyr3+ offers.
Does anyone think this is an especially good or bad idea? Anything I should note before jumping in to the change? Or just simply horses for courses?

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #141 of 1,331
Finally took the effort to place the OG BF2 card back in. This would be my first time listening to the Lyr+ with that version of the Bifrost. I really wish it was as easy to swap cards as it is tubes (a wishful solution would be some kind of external module).

The OG card adds some of the musical character back into the sound and might be a better fit for my setup along with the Lyr+. My Genelec speakers are pretty neutral and my Grados aren’t exactly warm either, so adding the OG card with the Lyr+ is an excellent combination.

F5632688-990D-4BA5-95B0-EED0BBAD32DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #143 of 1,331
Need some much needed input, Is it worth it to get the new LYR+ for $600 with 5 year warranty over a used one on the classified for $375?

I do not know who else to ask.
Classified on here? I tried a search on it and all I saw were Lyr 3 for around that price.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #146 of 1,331
Hi, thanks for impressions How much volume range do you have an Lyr+ with Clear MG? Before it gets too loud.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #147 of 1,331
Thinking of buying this for use without tube. Still a good amp, but kind of pricey. Anybody with comparrison to an Asgard 3? Will run on HD800s. Need a bit more power than my older gen Magni. Thanks.

Oct 9, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #148 of 1,331
Thinking of buying this for use without tube. Still a good amp, but kind of pricey. Anybody with comparrison to an Asgard 3? Will run on HD800s. Need a bit more power than my older gen Magni. Thanks.
I just changed from Asgard 3 to Lyr+. Happy with the upgrade even though Asgard 3 was terribly good. The Lyr+ solid state is just terrific! Just today I tried with tube for the first time - and it’s just as good. I might prefer it (we’ll see if I’m now going tube addict…).

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #150 of 1,331
Just discovered the Lyr+ on Schiit's site. Since the MJ3 isn't happening (can't blame him really), the Lyr+ is the most tempting. I'm still running my 10+ year old Lyr OG. Recently it seems the "safety relay" (?) that produces an audible click 10-20 seconds after powering it on might be shot. I hear something in the cans, but no damage there. Anyway, while I have quite a few tubes compatible with the Lyr+, as you might imagine I have even more 6DJ8/ECC88/6N1P, et al., and other comparable NOVALs for the Lyr OG. Looking at the Lyr 3 tube rolling thread it seems rolling them with an adapter is not a problem.

Can anyone comment as to that possibility with the Lyr+? Since it uses the same tube as the Lyr 3, I want to believe the same adapters will allow the NOVALs to work without problems, but I'd like confirmation before buying adapters. Pretty sure I'm getting the amp.

TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back