Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #31 of 1,331
How usable is the remote? Can it be used off angle and from 10-15' away?

Please share any feedback on using IEMs in tube mode.
Remote seems to function well. Im in my office so it’s not a very large room but it seems to have good range and off access response seems good.
I wouldn't have expected the term 'analytical' to coincide with a Schiit tube amp, so that's interesting!

It may be more the 2/64 as well playing into the analytical nature of what I’m hearing. I put the old BF2 card in for a bit this morning and it’s more rolled off on the highs and not quite and sparkly on the top end. It’s just good clean power and the channel seperation improvement is really the most noticable difference to me.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #32 of 1,331
Yeah, switching from SS to tube yesterday evening it felt like the sound was:

- More open
- More relaxed
- Smoother
- Ever so slightly 'warmer'... like, a bit bloomier in the low-low end
- Lost a touch of the more aggressive mid-sweetness present in the SS mode

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Tube brings it more in line with Lyr 3 tonally, but still with superior clarity. SS has more of a granular, forward sound signature that is more engaging, but accordingly a tad less dynamic between soft and loud. Tube is more romantic (softer, smoother, gentler), spacious, enveloping -- more refined, but maybe less 'fun'.

It's pretty cool to have what, in effect, feels like two amps in one. The two modes really are that different.

Sep 3, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #33 of 1,331
Yeah, switching from SS to tube yesterday evening it felt like the sound was:

- More open
- More relaxed
- Smoother
- Ever so slightly 'warmer'... like, a bit bloomier in the low-low end
- Lost a touch of the more aggressive mid-sweetness present in the SS mode

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Tube brings it more in line with Lyr 3 tonally, but still with superior clarity. SS has more of a granular, forward sound signature that is more engaging, but accordingly a tad less dynamic between soft and loud. Tube is more romantic (softer, smoother, gentler), spacious, enveloping -- more refined, but maybe less 'fun'.

It's pretty cool to have what, in effect, feels like two amps in one. The two modes really are that different.
Are you reading my mind and just telling me what I want to hear?

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 1,331
Should the tube be off when in solid state mode? I noticed the tube is still glowing and hot in SS mode.
I believe so, that's normal. According to the manual, even in SS mode the tube heater is on permanently.

Much as I love everything about this latest edition (although don't own one... yet), I am a bit disappointed that the tube remains hot. Still really want to buy one of these when i can afford. But, i fall asleep to documentaries etc on my pc at night. Would have been perfect to leave a tube in situ and just disable it all together with the press of a button on the remote, then drift off without worry about degrading tube life. Alas this isn't the case. I would still have to physically pull the tube to have an overnight amp running. Oh well, maybe one day!

... from the manual;
'Can I leave Lyr+ on all the time?
You can, but it would be best to do it when in
solid state mode (no tube inserted). The tube
heater is on all the time, in all modes, and
leaving it powered on all the time will
significantly shorten the tube lifespan.'

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #37 of 1,331
I believe so, that's normal. According to the manual, even in SS mode the tube heater is on permanently.

Much as I love everything about this latest edition (although don't own one... yet), I am a bit disappointed that the tube remains hot. Still really want to buy one of these when i can afford. But, i fall asleep to documentaries etc on my pc at night. Would have been perfect to leave a tube in situ and just disable it all together with the press of a button on the remote, then drift off without worry about degrading tube life. Alas this isn't the case. I would still have to physically pull the tube to have an overnight amp running. Oh well, maybe one day!

... from the manual;

Thanks for that. I had not seen that part of the manual. It is a little disappointing that the tube cannot just be turned off.

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 1,331
Thanks for that. I had not seen that part of the manual. It is a little disappointing that the tube cannot just be turned off.
Agree completely, wonder if they'll revise this aspect in the future with either this latest edition or a subsequent model... Or if it's just not possible to implement.

Already owning Lyr 3 and Lisst tube this has put a big dampener on the upgrade thing. Still would like the +, though, still tempted by the reports of greater clarity.

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #39 of 1,331
Agree completely, wonder if they'll revise this aspect in the future with either this latest edition or a subsequent model... Or if it's just not possible to implement.

Already owning Lyr 3 and Lisst tube this has put a big dampener on the upgrade thing. Still would like the +, though, still tempted by the reports of greater clarity.

I thought about getting the LISST instead of Lyr+, but I'm satisfied so far. The Lyr+ is a really versatile piece of gear.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #42 of 1,331
The Empyrean are on my short list to hear. I am going to Moon Audio in Oct or Nov and hope to get to listen to them. If not I might do the cable company lending program.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #43 of 1,331

... from the manual;

This was a real head-scratcher for me when I realized this is how the Lyr+ works when switching between SS and tube modes. I'm guessing there must have been a good reason to design it to work that way, but it would have been much more convenient and intuitive to just allow the tube to remain plugged in (but turned off) when using the SS mode, and not require that the tube be physically removed every time you want to switch over to SS. :confused:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #44 of 1,331
It's the way the original Freya operated. With the Freya+, switching modes turns the tube heater circuits off and on as one would expect, and pretty much everyone applauded the change (and in my case, it triggered a Freya+ purchase). The only guess I can make about why the Lyr+ behaves like the OG Freya has to do with the way Fusion is architected. Or just perhaps not enough space in the case to add circuitry to enable cleanly disabling the tube heater when the mosfet mode is activated.

Schiit should bundle a socket saver with the Lyr+, since people will be pulling tubes a lot more than even compulsive tube rollers typically do. IMHO, it's the most significant impediment for me purchasing the Lyr+.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #45 of 1,331
I assumed it was to facilitate the quicker switching from SS to Tube and back, though even then there could still just be a button on the remote that turns the tube off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back