Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #61 of 1,331
Sep 6, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #63 of 1,331
Well my impressions were vs Jot 2. And it's been awhile since I've listened to my Asgard 3 but the Jot 2 was a big step up from that in clarity and sweetness as well. (Less warm.) Lyr+ SS is a step up from Jot 2.
I'll confess to jumping in at page 4. Went back and read the entire thread. Great info!

Hmm.....may have to give the Lyr+ more thought/consideration. Currently using the Jot 2 in balanced mode (both in and out) to drive Audeze LCD-X 2021, love the combination. However, I do have a 'low tier' G&W tube amp...that I can also move to, like it's sound, but always wondered about better alternatives.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #64 of 1,331
@Jigetz @kdoof @j0val Any more impressions now that you've had the Lyr+ for a while? Doesn't seem like there's many others willing to take the plunge on it.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #66 of 1,331
I have one. It's great! I don't feel qualified to "review" it but it sounds fantastic with the DCA Stealth and Meze Elite. I've been using the tube for output.
Awesome. By any chance do you have any other Schiit amps? Just curious if you wanted to give a quick comparison with those if you have any. Appreciate the thoughts!

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #67 of 1,331
Awesome. By any chance do you have any other Schiit amps? Just curious if you wanted to give a quick comparison with those if you have any. Appreciate the thoughts!
No I don't. This is my first Schiit amp in years.

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #68 of 1,331
I received my Lyr+ last week. I sold my Jot2 over the weekend :) I used to own a Lyr3.
All are great amps!
I've used my Lyr+ mainly in tube mode with a Tung Sol new production tube. Low gain with Grados.

My impressions....
- Jot2 has more punch than the Lyr+, but not by much.
- Lyr+ is soo much clearer than Jot2. Jot2 isn't known for having the best SE output.
- The punch/slam Lyr+ delivers is better in quantity and quality than Lyr3.
- Lyr+ handles upper mids and treble better than Lyr3.
- Lyr+ has better channel separation that the others.
- Lyr+ runs cooler than Lyr3, even when I used a socket saver in Lyr3.
- Remote control is well implemented. Great range (10' +) and can be used from a very wide angle.
- Lyr+ sounds better in low gain than high with Grados. It was the opposite with Lyr3.
- Lyr+ is pitch black in low gain with Dunu SA6 and CA Dorado IEMs.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #69 of 1,331
@Jigetz @kdoof @j0val Any more impressions now that you've had the Lyr+ for a while? Doesn't seem like there's many others willing to take the plunge on it.

Still really enjoying it, haven't found myself missing the Jot 2 in this set-up (with VCs and Atrium) at all. Have actually mostly used the SS stage and like it possibly more than with the tube, which I did not anticipate.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #70 of 1,331
I received my Lyr+ last week. I sold my Jot2 over the weekend :) I used to own a Lyr3.
All are great amps!
I've used my Lyr+ mainly in tube mode with a Tung Sol new production tube. Low gain with Grados.

My impressions....
- Lyr+ is soo much clearer than Jot2. Jot2 isn't known for having the best SE output.
- Remote control is well implemented. Great range (10' +) and can be used from a very wide angle.
- Lyr+ sounds better in low gain than high with Grados. It was the opposite with Lyr3.
- Lyr+ is pitch black in low gain with Dunu SA6 and CA Dorado IEMs.
This is a extremely interesting write up. I've actually been thinking about trying tube amps but I don't even know where to start. I'll be looking more into the lyr+ now 🤔

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #72 of 1,331
FWIW, Lyr3/+ are not particularly tubey. Vali is a more classically tubey presentation in my opinion.
I think a lot depends on the tubes you put in it.

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #74 of 1,331
Sep 14, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #75 of 1,331
All are great amps!

My impressions....
- Lyr+ is pitch black in low gain with Dunu SA6 and CA Dorado IEMs
That’s great to hear, been watching for input and trying to decide whether to throw the switch and get one also. Did you happen to pick up the premium tested tube that Schiit offers ? I sent them an email asking what brand of tube it might be and they basically said there’s no name on it that leaves me to believe some Chinese or Russian knock off. Trying to get answers from those guys is like pulling teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back