Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #76 of 1,331
That’s great to hear, been watching for input and trying to decide whether to throw the switch and get one also. Did you happen to pick up the premium tested tube that Schiit offers ? I sent them an email asking what brand of tube it might be and they basically said there’s no name on it that leaves me to believe some Chinese or Russian knock off. Trying to get answers from those guys is like pulling teeth.
The premium tube I got is a Tung Sol.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #77 of 1,331
That’s great to hear, been watching for input and trying to decide whether to throw the switch and get one also. Did you happen to pick up the premium tested tube that Schiit offers ? I sent them an email asking what brand of tube it might be and they basically said there’s no name on it that leaves me to believe some Chinese or Russian knock off. Trying to get answers from those guys is like pulling teeth.
Yes, I ordered mine with the premium tube option. A TungSol reissue is what they're currently shipping.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #78 of 1,331
They probably can’t say because it can be one of several alternatives depending on supply. However, the stock tube shipped with the Lyr3 usually was either a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, new production JJ 6SN7, or new old stock 6N8S (6SN7 equivalent). I think the 6N8S has become hard to get in the quantities they need though, so it’s probably down to the TS or JJ.

I have used them all in the Lyr3 and they are all good tubes. I personally like the TS best and I still use it as daily driver in my Lyr3. I believe they should work equally well in the Lyr+.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #79 of 1,331
I really dont like the JJ tube in my Lyr 3. I feel it really alcks character and makes it too much like a SS amp.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #80 of 1,331
Have any of you that now have the Lyr+ tested any tube adapters (with or without socket savers)?

I surmise my 6J5+6J5 -> 6SN7 adapter I use in my Lyr 3 would be fine if I use a socket saver to gain some additional height / clearance, but would love to get confirmation from others if possible.

Attachments

• 20220331_204102 (1).jpg
    20220331_204102 (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #82 of 1,331
Sep 16, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #83 of 1,331
I received my Lyr+ last week. I sold my Jot2 over the weekend :) I used to own a Lyr3.
All are great amps!
I've used my Lyr+ mainly in tube mode with a Tung Sol new production tube. Low gain with Grados.

My impressions....
- Jot2 has more punch than the Lyr+, but not by much.
- Lyr+ is soo much clearer than Jot2. Jot2 isn't known for having the best SE output.
- The punch/slam Lyr+ delivers is better in quantity and quality than Lyr3.
- Lyr+ handles upper mids and treble better than Lyr3.
- Lyr+ has better channel separation that the others.
- Lyr+ runs cooler than Lyr3, even when I used a socket saver in Lyr3.
- Remote control is well implemented. Great range (10' +) and can be used from a very wide angle.
- Lyr+ sounds better in low gain than high with Grados. It was the opposite with Lyr3.
- Lyr+ is pitch black in low gain with Dunu SA6 and CA Dorado IEMs.
See that you also have the H16...and previously the Jot 2, I'm guessing....maybe some previous experimenting with balanced from DAC to AMP to headphones maybe?

Really no need to get into the balanced versus se can of worms....I'm having that argument in my head anyway with my own gear (as well as reading/research).

That being said.....Do you (or anyone here) ever feel, with the Lyr+, any limitations from the perspective of soundstage and/or instrument placement in comparison?

I really I should just hit the checkout button on the Schiit website....then I could properly compare the Jot 2 vs. Lyr+.....damn the wallet. Does Schiit have Black Friday deals? I could be more patient if so.....

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #84 of 1,331
I really I should just hit the checkout button on the Schiit website....then I could properly compare the Jot 2 vs. Lyr+.....damn the wallet. Does Schiit have Black Friday deals? I could be more patient if so.....
I wouldn’t count on it, they have specificallly made it a point not to have any sales to keep the regular prices lower.

What you can do is have a look at the B-stock page where they have a better price on gear with slightly sub-par finish, closeout deals, etc. No returns on that though.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #85 of 1,331
That being said.....Do you (or anyone here) ever feel, with the Lyr+, any limitations from the perspective of soundstage and/or instrument placement in comparison?
No limitations at all. Significant improvements in the criteria you mention compared to the Jot2.

I agree with the other member who said they preferred the SS output over tube. It could be the stock TungSol Tube that sane with mine, but I really don't feel the need to roll tubes. SS output sounds great in my setup.

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #86 of 1,331
I haven't. I could take a few pics with a small ruler if you want to get an idea of how far down the top of the socket is compared to the top of the chassis. Let me know!

Yes please! I would really appreciate that! For reference, the dimensions of the adapter I mentioned is about 1.375" tall (with no socket saver) and 3.375" wide.

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #87 of 1,331
Here's a Duracell D battery resting on top of the socket. There's about 1mm between the battery and the case. You can compare a D battery to the adapter base to make sure it would fit in the round hole.

Using a tape measure and a level across the top of the case, the top of the tube socket is about 1 1/16" below the top of the case. Too hard to take a pic while juggling everything :)

Looks like there are some screws on the bottom of the adapter pic you posted above. Does your 1.375" height measurement account for them? If it doesn't, they could come in contact with the "colander" portion of the case.....

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #88 of 1,331
Here's a Duracell D battery resting on top of the socket. There's about 1mm between the battery and the case. You can compare a D battery to the adapter base to make sure it would fit in the round hole.

Using a tape measure and a level across the top of the case, the top of the tube socket is about 1 1/16" below the top of the case. Too hard to take a pic while juggling everything :)

Looks like there are some screws on the bottom of the adapter pic you posted above. Does your 1.375" height measurement account for them? If it doesn't, they could come in contact with the "colander" portion of the case.....
Thank you for taking the time to measure and include a point of reference with the D battery!

The measurement does account for the screws.

It sounds like it may be fine with the use of socket saver.

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #89 of 1,331
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #90 of 1,331
I'm experiencing the same thing with my Lyr+. Listenable volume starts at 12 o'clock. Initially, I was thinking it wasn't outputting any sound.
I’ve run a Ragnarok2 for a couple of years and haven’t had any issues. The volume is very non linear but I typically used it with fairly inefficient speakers at relatively low volume so likely operated in a range with better resolution. Casual listening at high gain was usually around 1:00. I think full volume is somewhere around 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back