Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,201 of 1,381
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,203 of 1,381
Google AI:

1706233171706.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,204 of 1,381
Am running the LYR+ on "depletion mode MOSFETs" for starters.

Very respectable ss performance from the LYR+, although I usually prefer it in hybrid mode [with a 6DJ8/6922 tube]. Upper mids/lower treble can be a little bit sharp in ss mode; soundstage is a bit shallower as well.

Have the Lake People RS-08 on hand for comparisons.

[Brief LYR+ (in SS mode) vs. RS-08 a/b moved to RS-02/RS-08 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lake-people-hpa-rs-02-hpa-rs-08-thread.821341/post-17945320.]

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #1,205 of 1,381
I'm looking to have a solid state and tube amp for my desktop setup, with the solid state being pretty neutral for when I want to listen without a lot of color. I currently have a Vali 2++. Would I be better served with Midgard + Vali or Lyr+? I know some have said the SS output has a tube feel to it, not sure how pronounced that is.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #1,206 of 1,381
I'm looking to have a solid state and tube amp for my desktop setup, with the solid state being pretty neutral for when I want to listen without a lot of color. I currently have a Vali 2++. Would I be better served with Midgard + Vali or Lyr+? I know some have said the SS output has a tube feel to it, not sure how pronounced that is.
Vali 2++, Lyr3+ are already hybrid tube/SS headphone amplifiers. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #1,207 of 1,381
Vali 2++, Lyr3+ are already hybrid tube/SS headphone amplifiers. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm aware lyr+ is, if you re-read the question you'll find that I was asking about the color of the SS on lyr compared to midgard. And vali is hybrid, not duo with Fusion. It does not function without a tube as a SS amp in the way that lyr+ does. At least, mine doesn't.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #1,208 of 1,381
If you can land a LYR+, you will definitely get the best of both worlds IMHO: a versatile tube/hybrid amp that gives you a good taste of each individual tube choice [and can be run w/1x 6SN7, 1x 6922 or 2x 6J5] and a detailed and neutral-ish/musical solid-state amp. I am quite happy with mine!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #1,209 of 1,381
I'm aware lyr+ is, if you re-read the question you'll find that I was asking about the color of the SS on lyr compared to midgard. And vali is hybrid, not duo with Fusion. It does not function without a tube as a SS amp in the way that lyr+ does. At least, mine doesn't.

I think the solid state mode gives you a little bit of that third order harmonic distortion characteristic of tube amps, but perhaps without as much of the 3D depth you'll find with a real tube. This means you get a bit of the euphony but without quite as much of the airy spaciousness. It's not necessarily your typical SS sound and Schiit even says in their marketing that the SS mode is supposed to imitate a tube in case of a post apocalyptical world where in between hunting for lizards to eat in a dry desert landscape, you're still craving that tube sound when there aren't anymore available.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #1,210 of 1,381
Grabbed one of classifieds and then read through the thread filled with horror stories of it going up in smoke. Oh boy lol, excited to give it a listen regardless

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,211 of 1,381
Shot in one take!

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,212 of 1,381
Shot in one take!

I'm glad you mentioned the tube orientation, even though it triggered horrible flashbacks for me... :confounded: It's good that others that might be new to 6SN7 tubes be mindful of that, it's shockingly easy to insert it wrong.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the synergy with the 2/64. I have yet to upgrade my BF2 on reports of the 2/64 being overall brighter and less slammy, and my headphones already steer towards the bright side.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,213 of 1,381
I'm glad you mentioned the tube orientation, even though it triggered horrible flashbacks for me... :confounded: It's good that others that might be new to 6SN7 tubes be mindful of that, it's shockingly easy to insert it wrong.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the synergy with the 2/64. I have yet to upgrade my BF2 on reports of the 2/64 being overall brighter and less slammy, and my headphones already steer towards the bright side.
Glad you're still enjoying the Bifrost 2 I sold you 😄 I am hoping to grab the 2/64 soon myself and pair it with my incoming Lyr+. How does your setup sound warmth wise?

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #1,214 of 1,381
Glad you're still enjoying the Bifrost 2 I sold you 😄 I am hoping to grab the 2/64 soon myself and pair it with my incoming Lyr+. How does your setup sound warmth wise?

Oh yeah that was you! Yeah I mean that's another reason I haven't upgraded it: I'm already really satisfied with it. The endless internal struggle of "don't fix what ain't broke" and "but what if...?" rages on, and that's the only reason I occasionally think about the 2/64 upgrade.

I mean the tonality is just fantastic. Most of the tuning will come from which tube you put in of course, but I never had any complaints about the BF2. It's still the best DAC I've owned thus far.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #1,215 of 1,381
Oh yeah that was you! Yeah I mean that's another reason I haven't upgraded it: I'm already really satisfied with it. The endless internal struggle of "don't fix what ain't broke" and "but what if...?" rages on, and that's the only reason I occasionally think about the 2/64 upgrade.

I mean the tonality is just fantastic. Most of the tuning will come from which tube you put in of course, but I never had any complaints about the BF2. It's still the best DAC I've owned thus far.
I loved the BF2 and would get it again if I didn't read about the 2/64. It was a bit thick for me at times especially when I got the Echo so I'd rather have the option to color through my amp and keep the DAC more neutral. I think the Lyr+ should have enough warmth for me since I like a little smidge of it. I'm putting a Psvane UK into it which won't arrive until Wednesday so I'm excited 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back