Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
May 17, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #916 of 1,331
I have a new unit and played it extensively for a week. No problems at alls so far.
Update. I have had the Lyr+ for three weeks now, play it daily for a few hrs, and it has run flawlessly thus far. I am using a Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe tube and I am very satisfied with the sound. I still have the Lyr3 and Jot 2, likely I will keep them as backup, just in case the Lyr+ goes sideways. The Lyr+, to my ears, is noticeably better than the Lyr3 and Jot2. Thus far, a very good investment. BTW HP are Stellla, 800S, Clear MG, 4 ZMX cans, Arya, LCD-X, Heddphone, 600 and 650, and a few others

May 20, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #917 of 1,331
I bought my Lyr+ early on, it worked just fine for the first couple months I had it.
Then it developed a problem with the volume control. It would just go clicky clicky clicky when you adjusted the volume. I filled out a help ticket with Schiit and they sent me an RMA number and a shipping label on their dime.
It took them a couple weeks to fix it in the meantime I had my Jot2 so it's not like I was without a headphone amplifier.
They sent it back to me and the repair said it needed a firmware update.
They sent it back to me and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I even bought a couple of new production tubes for it. Plus I have a whole box full of vintage NOS tubes for it.
It sounds very good and I'm quite happy with it.
My headphones are the Sennheiser HD 800S and the LCD-X.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #918 of 1,331
Update. I have had the Lyr+ for three weeks now, play it daily for a few hrs, and it has run flawlessly thus far. I am using a Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe tube...
Can you compare that to the stock Tung-Sol, an EH, or any VT-231 tubes? Given your ...experience (below) that you like this intrigues me. Maybe I would? Alas we don't use the same cans (fewer use what I use for reasons I completely understand).
BTW HP are Stellla, 800S, Clear MG, 4 ZMX cans, Arya, LCD-X, Heddphone, 600 and 650, and a few others
Show off. :wink:

May 20, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #919 of 1,331
I bought my Lyr+ early on, it worked just fine for the first couple months I had it.
Then it developed a problem with the volume control. It would just go clicky clicky clicky when you adjusted the volume. I filled out a help ticket with Schiit and they sent me an RMA number and a shipping label on their dime.
It took them a couple weeks to fix it in the meantime I had my Jot2 so it's not like I was without a headphone amplifier.
They sent it back to me and the repair said it needed a firmware update.
They sent it back to me and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I even bought a couple of new production tubes for it. Plus I have a whole box full of vintage NOS tubes for it.
It sounds very good and I'm quite happy with it.
My headphones are the Sennheiser HD 800S and the LCD-X.
Question re: the clicking while adjusting the volume. Before yours developed that problem there was no clicking at all when adjusting the volume; i.e., it was a smooth transition? Did the volume adjustment still work after the problem surfaced, before the firmware upgrade? Mine has had the clicking from the start. Volume adjustment works but is not smooth. I thought that was inherent in the relay ladder volume control.

I'm wondering if it's worth sending back. Seems like it might be. Reckon I'll contact them, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

May 21, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #920 of 1,331
Can you compare that to the stock Tung-Sol, an EH, or any VT-231 tubes? Given your ...experience (below) that you like this intrigues me. Maybe I would? Alas we don't use the same cans (fewer use what I use for reasons I completely understand).

Show off. :wink:
Can’t really compare. I bought the Lyr+ without the stock tube. I bought the treasure globe based on reviews and forums. For my ears it sounds great, superior to the Lyr3.

May 21, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #921 of 1,331
Question re: the clicking while adjusting the volume. Before yours developed that problem there was no clicking at all when adjusting the volume; i.e., it was a smooth transition? Did the volume adjustment still work after the problem surfaced, before the firmware upgrade? Mine has had the clicking from the start. Volume adjustment works but is not smooth. I thought that was inherent in the relay ladder volume control.

I'm wondering if it's worth sending back. Seems like it might be. Reckon I'll contact them, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

That's normal. As you said, it's inherent with stepped relay attenuators.

I assume his problem was that it clicking, but not changing the volume. But he doesn't really make that clear.

May 21, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #922 of 1,331

No the clicky clicky I'm describing came after you stopped adjusting the volume it just kept clicking.
The click click click was normal with the ladder volume control. What was happening is after I stopped turning the volume knob the clicking continued until I turned it again. It was intermittent but they were able to reproduce it.

May 29, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #923 of 1,331
More to come as it continues to settle in and I try more things!

I guess I should provide an update. I took the Linlai E-6SN7 Balloon all the way to 100 hours before ending the burn-in process, but that was some weeks ago. Since then I've just been enjoying it. Truthfully not much changed since the 40 hour mark.

Switching back to my old standby, the shouldered glass Psvane 6SN7 w/black plates, it's definitely a touch more forward and immediate. For half the price, it's a really good option. It is stirring and engaging, and still sounds really good to my ears.

But what I pretty quickly notice after having gotten used to the Linlai is the treble is quite a bit more hot on the Psvane. For the Arya Stealth it's really just a pinch too much for some genres. AC/DC's Hells Bells was downright fatiguing.

Now back to the Linlai with the same song, and the treble is MUCH better controlled. More airy, too. The whole thing is pulled back a little, but you get a MUCH larger-seeming presentation. The space is larger, both in forward depth as well as height (which is one of those little tricks the Arya has), and that space is filled with more present reverb from the recording. Instruments get a little more cleaner separation too.

What the Linlai balloon does so well is give you those elements of refinement, but you still get the engagement. I wouldn't get as immersed with the Tung-Sol despite also having a larger, cleaner soundstage, but the Linlai retains more of the dynamics, more of the lowend "oomph", and brings something enjoyable to every genre. It has warmth and a "true" tonality that other cleaner sounding tubes haven't had.

Highly recommended if you're willing to spend a little more!

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #925 of 1,331
Hi, I am new to Lyr+ so I wanted to ask you: Does your Lyr+ get supper hot? Today I had it on for about 3 hours and it was so hot that it burned my hand on touch.
Thanks.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #926 of 1,331
Hi, I am new to Lyr+ so I wanted to ask you: Does your Lyr+ get supper hot? Today I had it on for about 3 hours and it was so hot that it burned my hand on touch.
Thanks.

Yeah I don't let mine get hot like that. If you check the gallery you can see some small fans I have set up next to mine to keep it cool. Call it paranoia!

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #928 of 1,331
Just had a solid 6 hours with my new Lyr+ and I love it. Just a few questions,

Is the difference between solid state and the Tung Sol tube very minimal? Or are my ears just un-trained. I sense a bit of a wider and deeper sound stage and a minimal smoother experience overall, but in the end very similar and wouldn't say a different flavour entirely.

On high and low gain, my volume basically starts at 12 oclock. Theres very little change from & to 12 and then its very sensitive from there onwards? is this normal compared to everyone elses? Also with audio cut outs when moving the volume up and down?

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #929 of 1,331

Is the difference between solid state and the Tung Sol tube very minimal? Or are my ears just un-trained. I sense a bit of a wider and deeper sound stage and a minimal smoother experience overall, but in the end very similar and wouldn't say a different flavour entirely.

On high and low gain, my volume basically starts at 12 oclock. Theres very little change from & to 12 and then its very sensitive from there onwards? is this normal compared to everyone elses? Also with audio cut outs when moving the volume up and down?

Yes the difference is small. Solid state mode uses a topology that is supposed to somewhat mimic tubes. SS mode is more forward and punchy.

Yes, that's normal for how the volume behaves.

More details can be found using the search bar up top. This thread is only 62 pages so it's doesn't take long to get through.

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #930 of 1,331

For a bit more difference from solid state - try a tube from Psvane like this one:
https://www.vivatubes.com/new-psvane-6sn7-se-tennis-ball-vacuum-tube/
Sounds really great on my Lyr+ !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back