Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #901 of 1,331
I got this tube two days ago from Vivatubes.com, and have been running it in day and night since. It has close to 40 hours, so I feel ready to give some early impressions. I should note after the first several hours it developed audible hissing in the left channel, but I plowed ahead and it did eventually go away. This tube also plugs in very stiff. It doesn't "pop" into place, compared to other tubes, you basically shove it on there until it doesn't shove anymore.

Great review.

I've noticed my (current) favorite Ken-Rad tube has left channel issues as well, as does one of my RCA tubes. It seems the half-bottle designs don't quite fit in the socket as well, and I was able to work around the RCA microphony and noise issues by reseating the RCA tube in the socket. The Ken-Rad, only once did I find a way to offset the slight bit of noise. Can't help but wonder if there isn't a difference in pinout tolerance for these...

Nonetheless, I myself like the EH freq response, but prefer the Ken-Rad in almost every other way. What I'm reading says this might be a nice combination of the two, and I'm inspired to pick one up and give it a try myself.

Holler if it continues to change through 100+ hours of use. 40 in my experience is as you've rightly noted kind of the start of what you may end up with over time...but also seems to be the first hint of where it's going as compared to what it offers at t=0.

Thanks for sharing.

May 2, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #902 of 1,331
It seems like the defect chatter has died down over the last few weeks. Has anyone received a new unit from Schiit in the past month that was 100% operational after being used for awhile?
I have a new unit and played it extensively for a week. No problems at alls so far.

May 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #903 of 1,331
It seems like the defect chatter has died down over the last few weeks. Has anyone received a new unit from Schiit in the past month that was 100% operational after being used for awhile?

I bought mine on the 9th last month. I haven’t used it extensively in SS, but I haven’t had a single issue in tube mode.

May 2, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #904 of 1,331
Just an update, my Schiit Lyr 3 has been running perfectly now for over a month with no issues and I am very happy and actually prefer it over the Lyr + because it has toggle switches instead of those annoying cheap feeling buttons on the unit.

For context, I had to return 3 Lyr + units. One lasted for 5 days whilst the other 2 replacements lasted for under 2 days.

May 2, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #905 of 1,331
My repaired unit has had absolutely no issues in the past few months.

Ive been meaning to get a tube that complements the Westinghouse I have. It's a tubey tube: rich, long decays, warm bass, not super extended in the subbass, etc. I've been thinking the PSVane UK or a Melz 6n8s. I have other expenses to worry about first, then back to tube rolling!

May 2, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #906 of 1,331
My repaired unit has had absolutely no issues in the past few months.

Ive been meaning to get a tube that complements the Westinghouse I have. It's a tubey tube***: rich, long decays, warm bass, not super extended in the subbass, etc. I've been thinking the PSVane UK or a Melz 6n8s. I have other expenses to worry about first, then back to tube rolling!

*** 🎼 ‘tubey, tubey, tube …’ 🎶 (TubeRollers in the Night) 🤪

May 11, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #907 of 1,331
Just an update, my Schiit Lyr 3 has been running perfectly now for over a month with no issues and I am very happy and actually prefer it over the Lyr + because it has toggle switches instead of those annoying cheap feeling buttons on the unit.

For context, I had to return 3 Lyr + units. One lasted for 5 days whilst the other 2 replacements lasted for under 2 days.
I am joining you sometime next week as I found a black Lyr 3 this morning and it should be on its way soon.

May 12, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #908 of 1,331
I am joining you sometime next week as I found a black Lyr 3 this morning and it should be on its way soon.
You will really enjoy the Lyr 3. The toggle switches are much better than the small buttons on the + and its run perfectly for me so far.

May 12, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #909 of 1,331
It took a while but you're finally going to get an answer.

(gratuitous nerd crap sold separately)

I've been pining after this tube for a number of months, and while I looked at various recommended NOS tubes, Electro-Harmonix, and others, this giant premium balloon-shaped tube from Linlai kept calling to me. So I decided to go big, rather than amassing a collection of cheaper tubes with various pros and cons. Maybe this could be the one tube to rule them all?

I got this tube two days ago from Vivatubes.com, and have been running it in day and night since. It has close to 40 hours, so I feel ready to give some early impressions. I should note after the first several hours it developed audible hissing in the left channel, but I plowed ahead and it did eventually go away. This tube also plugs in very stiff. It doesn't "pop" into place, compared to other tubes, you basically shove it on there until it doesn't shove anymore.

By their nature I can't just hotswap and do rapid A+B+C comparisons, so take that as you will. I have to rely on notoriously fickle human auditory memory. That being said, my favorite tube for the Lyr+ so far has been the shouldered glass Psvane 6SN7 Black Plates, the regular one. It has a more aggressive, in-your-face presentation, with "Quick-n-Thick" bass, pronounced attack, that makes it very immersive and enjoyable to me. It demands your attention, and I'd characterize it as the solid state mode refined, with much more decay and soundstage depth & layering. Other tubes I tried such as the stock Tung-Sol, and a NOS Raytheon 6F8G w/adapter, will push the sound a little further out, giving the soundstage a little more space and allowing the sounds more breathing room. As a result they do separation and layering better than the Psvane, which can get a little congested by comparison, but they aren't as hard hitting in the bass or attack, and aren't as well suited to all music genres that might do better with more energy. I left the Psvane in because while not as refined in some ways, it does everything well, and is phenomenal with movies and gaming.

Alright, so how is the Linlai E-6SN7 doing? Well, I haven't tried any movies or games yet, but to my ears so far, it really IS the best of all worlds. You get back that refinement, fantastic layering and separation, and it tones back the aggression the Psvane had JUST a pinch, but it's still a very immediate, attention-grabbing sound. But what it's doing with decay and room reverb in recordings is....MAGICAL. Holy cow is the realism in this regard bumped up a lot! Combined with the absolutely spot-on tonality, I'm getting some "so real it's scary" moments. Should the recording call for it, it throws out a HUGE soundscape. I had a lot of "Wow!" moments in this regard. The imaging is crazy too! I'm getting sounds extremely precisely placed in all areas 360 degrees around my head, and one song had a triangle or something that was RIGHT above my forehead. So yeah, height is playing a role here too.

The treble is just right to my ears. The Arya Stealth that I've been using for initial listening doesn't take much to get hot in the treble, and in some recordings with the Psvane, it could be a touch too much. The treble control on the Linlai tube is superb! Even on hot mastered tracks, it's more than tolerable on the Arya. The midrange is thick and seductive. Lower midrange gets just a touch of bloom to warm everything up and wrap you in a thick wool blanket. Bass has some added control as well, and to my ears it maybe doesn't hits as hard as the Psvane. But so far it's still strong, tight, quick, and perfectly extended into the sub regions, and it's imaged better as well.

I definitely think detail and texture get a slight bump as well. It's not shoving those in your face but they're easier to hear with this tube.

Did I mention this tube is massive for a 6SN7?

More to come as it continues to settle in and I try more things!

Following your recommendation, I just picked up the same tube for my Lyr+ from VivaTubes as well. I also have the background hiss (much like white noise) but the music on top of it is crystal clear.

How long did it take for your hiss to go away? I might have 10-12 hours on the tube so far.

May 12, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #910 of 1,331
Following your recommendation, I just picked up the same tube for my Lyr+ from VivaTubes as well. I also have the background hiss (much like white noise) but the music on top of it is crystal clear.

How long did it take for your hiss to go away? I might have 10-12 hours on the tube so far.

Oh, hard to say, in hindsight. It was very gradual. I'd definitely say by 30 hours it was 100% gone, but it might have been sooner than that.

May 14, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #913 of 1,331
Thanks!
Is the Lyr 3 a "popper", as in generating a pop if the headphones are connected during the power on cycle?
Yeah same thing applies to the Lyr 3, it will cycle for 30-40 seconds and you will hear a click and it will be ready to use.

May 14, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #915 of 1,331
Thanks. Do you need to plug in the headphones after the relay click or can you leave them connected all the time?
I leave mine plugged in.

I only hear a light 'click' that comes from the amp itself, with no audible turn-on 'pop' coming from the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back