Schiit Lyr having issues . . . SOLVED (RF interference to blame)
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SIGcollector

New Head-Fier
Today I fired up my system, threw on my headphones for once, and was rudely surprised by a nasty high pitch squeal from the left channel. The squeal is inconsistent but very frequent. I went through the painstaking process of eliminating every single piece of equipment to narrow the source of the issue down to the Lyr. It doesn't matter what tubes I use, it's the Lyr itself. What I find even more shocking about this is that the unit has less than 10 hours on it. I tried calling Schiit but didn't get through, so I figured I'd touch base here for some suggestions before emailing them and shipping it off to the opposite coast. Has anyone else experienced their Lyr produce perverse sounds?

Edit: In addition, it's producing a constant low volume chuffing sound. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 5
Sorry to hear that! Why don't you send us an email? If you bought direct from us, and it's literally new, we can easily set you up with a return/exchange.

And--as far as troubleshooting, you've done the tubes, but have you checked cables? And, by any chance is your cellphone or WiFi router sitting on the Lyr? Anything that puts out tons of RF can cause all sorts of wacky problems.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you tried different headphones?

Yes, that would fall under, "every single piece of equipment." (Source, DAC, amp, tubes, headphones, and all cables)

Quote:
Sorry to hear that! Why don't you send us an email? If you bought direct from us, and it's literally new, we can easily set you up with a return/exchange.

And--as far as troubleshooting, you've done the tubes, but have you checked cables? And, by any chance is your cellphone or WiFi router sitting on the Lyr? Anything that puts out tons of RF can cause all sorts of wacky problems.

Hi Jason, I did buy the unit new, direct from Schiit, but it was back on 2/22/2013. I'm almost exclusively a speaker guy these days, so it gets very little play time. As far as RF interference, that's not something I had considered. The unit WAS recently relocated much closer to my wireless router, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I'll try unplugging the router tonight and see if that corrects the issue. If not, I'll shoot you an email. Thanks for the help!

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
by any chance is your cellphone or WiFi router sitting on the Lyr? Anything that puts out tons of RF can cause all sorts of wacky problems.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Thank you very much for the assist, Jason. The instant I powered down my router all I had was a nice pitch black background . . . and my wife yelling from the other room why the internet just died. Time to find a new home for my router . . . thanks again Jason!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back