Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Apr 27, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #3,391 of 5,226
My eyes would not allow my ears to enjoy such a monstrosity!!! :fearful:

This would then require an accolade for Tom which would be difficult, but credit will be awarded where earned regardless of the pain level involved. :smile::joy:

I think a small weekend ad in the notices section of a small town publication in remote Saskatchewan will meet the legal requirement. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #3,392 of 5,226

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #3,393 of 5,226

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #3,394 of 5,226
I was thinking something like this. Too over the top? :laughing:

Might be a wee bit too man-crushy, but whatever floats your boat. :wink:

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3,395 of 5,226
Been able to have a good listen to the NEVZ 6N8S '82 Brown base and it's quite a nice tube.

s-l300.jpg

Over all quite a "tubey" sounding tube with a mild U shape

Bass extends real low and has a lot of heft, maybe a touch boomy but not excessively so.

Mids have liquidity but a touch recessed.

Treble has a touch of sparkle but never over doing it, not as detailed as some tubes but it sounds natural.

Soundstage not the widest but still quite open, more 3D than complete width.

Good separation of instruments. Good decay of notes.

It's a real powerhouse for bass heavy electronica, shame it's so rare and hard to find (on ebay at least)

*EDIT* i also have about 10 of the NEVZ black base tubes, unsure what year until i look through them, i'll compare once i get one in there and have it burned in.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #3,396 of 5,226
Got back home from being out of town and lo-and-behold, the Brimar 6SN7GT black base/clear glass had arrived. Woohoo!! I've been listening for the last couple of hours and my impressions are that it is VERY NICE. Well balanced top to bottom, smooth mids, a bit of sparkle up-top, a nice bit of warmth, good bass and very good sound-stage. A very worthwhile acquisition for Lyr 3. I say do not hesitate if you can get one at a good price. :wink:

May 5, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #3,397 of 5,226
Got back home from being out of town and lo-and-behold, the Brimar 6SN7GT black base/clear glass had arrived. Woohoo!! I've been listening for the last couple of hours and my impressions are that it is VERY NICE. Well balanced top to bottom, smooth mids, a bit of sparkle up-top, a nice bit of warmth, good bass and very good sound-stage. A very worthwhile acquisition for Lyr 3. I say do not hesitate if you can get one at a good price. :wink:
As you know, they get even better with burn in! I love that tube!

May 5, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #3,398 of 5,226
As you know, they get even better with burn in! I love that tube!

Is there a difference between the Brimar clear glass and black glass, sonically? Black glass seem incredibly hard to find..

May 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,399 of 5,226
Is there a difference between the Brimar clear glass and black glass, sonically? Black glass seem incredibly hard to find..

Nothing in it really except for minute tube to tube variation.

Probably hard to find because the same people who pay for triple micas, gold pins, pinched waists and D getters in other tubes think the black glass makes them somehow special.

May 5, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,401 of 5,226
Is there a difference between the Brimar clear glass and black glass, sonically? Black glass seem .

I think any slight variation in sound might have more to do with bottle size/height, than color of glass, but who knows.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #3,402 of 5,226
I messed up previous post.

I wrote - I sometimes wonder if the bottle size/height might have more to do with slight variations in sound, than color of glass. If you notice the early black glass Brimar, almost always, have a tall bottle. It seems the latter years clear glass Brimar, are often shorter bottles, than the black glass.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #3,403 of 5,226
IMG_20190417_172048.jpg
I messed up previous post.

I wrote - I sometimes wonder if the bottle size/height might have more to do with slight variations in sound, than color of glass. If you notice the early black glass Brimar, almost always, have a tall bottle. It seems the latter years clear glass Brimar, are often shorter bottles, than the black glass.
I was curious if these sound the same as those clear glasses. :)

May 5, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #3,404 of 5,226

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #3,405 of 5,226
Couldn't tell you, as all markings were removed. I think I can detect a faint presence of red in spots, but can't really tell. It was purchased forma recommended HF seller. The structure of the tube seems identical to the red lettered ones I've seen pics of -- round bottom mica | Top round spike mica, dual round ribbed plates.

20190505_185051.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back