Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Apr 24, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #3,376 of 5,228
I've found most 7N7's to be quite enjoyable -- Frankie or otherwise. The Frankie does have a bit more extended bottom-end and more sparkle up-top. It exhibits a nice slam in the bass that really punches.

My testing today leads me to agree with you...the non-Frankie 7N7 sounds great, but dropping in a real Frankie reveals the non-Frankie is a bit thinner in the bass area and not quite as exciting. Not bad at all though. The Philco Frankentube I'm comparing it to was about $6 (cheaper than the 7N7-to-6SN7 converter I'm using, LOL). :)

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #3,377 of 5,228
Giving the NEVZ brown base another go.

Sounded un-exciting last time but that was without any burn in, put it on the back burner since then and have come back to it today.
Tube was made 12/82 so quite late production, tube does look pristine compared to most Russian tubes.

Seems promising but i'll evaluate in a few days after more burn in. Has definitely opened up and sounding nice.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #3,378 of 5,228
So, I just got the JJ Electronic 6SL7. I am courious, I ordered 6SN7, but I got 6SL7. Is there any difference? I tried it, it fits into Lyr3 without any problem. And, it plays nice right from the beginning. It is better than stock. Did anyone tried JJ Electronic 6SL7? What are your thoughts?
I am courious if the sound will change with burning-in.
After I realized I get 6SL7 I contacted the JJ Electronic and they sent me the right one 6SN7 tube. I have it for a few days and I must say, it is nice sounding tube and with LCD-2C it is nice match. Can`t compare to more tubes as I just have the original russian tube delivered from Schiit with the amp and this JJ 6SN7. Just want to say, it was not a disappointment. Not at all. I am enjoying JJ tube.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #3,379 of 5,228
Frankentube testing day 2 of 2: The Frankentube I found to be the best in my small collection (I have 3, the winner is one labeled Philco) went up against my 6SN7 champs today...

- Mullard ECC33. The Frankentube has a an amazing sound, with incredible clarity in bass and treble, but this Mullard's bass is just downright magical, and the rest of its sound is top-notch as well. I'm going to give the nod to the Mullard ECC33, but it's a much more expensive tube.

- Marconi B65 "Made in Holland" - These are close, but this Marconi has something magical about it as well...even better bass than the Frankentube (not really lower, just a bit better defined on ultra-low stuff), and is similar for the rest (maybe slightly smoother...something about it just works very well for my ears). Given the choice I'd take the Marconi, but this tube is unbelievably difficult to find.

That being said, for the money, there is no better option than a Frankentube, in my experience. They are somewhat difficult to find, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #3,380 of 5,228
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #3,382 of 5,228
Sorry. I'm mistaken -- none are Frankies. Or maybe they are? :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #3,383 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #3,384 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #3,385 of 5,228
The Frankies all have one thing in common (beyond the tall bottle with getter flash covering most of the inside and the mirror-faced T-plates): the truly round "racecar" bottom mica. If it's got square points in the oval anywhere around the oval's perimeter, it isn't a Frankie. That doesn't mean it can't be a good sounding tube, it's just not a Frankie. I have not been able to determine any sonic difference between the versions with the satin-sheen black plate and the flat gray plates. The black plates may be slightly better, but any difference is so negligible it could easily be chalked up to sample-to-sample variation. And now just to make things worse, the Lansdale labeled versions of these seem to sound even better than all the rest. Don't ask me why because I truly don't know (and if I did I'd just make something up to create confusion and misdirection while I added more to my stash). :smile: Lansdale didn't make these (Sylvania did), but I have been unable to find much reliable information on what exactly Lansdale was beyond a sorting/grading operation).

Dang! Those are some nice looking tubes. They look brand new!

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #3,386 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #3,387 of 5,228
The Frankies all have one thing in common (beyond the tall bottle with getter flash covering most of the inside and the mirror-faced T-plates): the truly round "racecar" bottom mica. If it's got square points in the oval anywhere around the oval's perimeter, it isn't a Frankie. That doesn't mean it can't be a good sounding tube, it's just not a Frankie. I have not been able to determine any sonic difference between the versions with the satin-sheen black plate and the flat gray plates. The black plates may be slightly better, but any difference is so negligible it could easily be chalked up to sample-to-sample variation. And now just to make things worse, the Lansdale labeled versions of these seem to sound even better than all the rest. Don't ask me why because I truly don't know (and if I did I'd just make something up to create confusion and misdirection while I added more to my stash). :smile: Lansdale didn't make these (Sylvania did), but I have been unable to find much reliable information on what exactly Lansdale was beyond a sorting/grading operation).

Show-off!!!! :rolling_eyes:

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #3,388 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #3,389 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #3,390 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back