Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #3,361 of 5,228
I noticed something a bit odd this morning while listening to a Frankentube (well, it's a very tall 7N7 with a chrome top and metal base, at least): the bass seemed a bit light, but I kept listening, then about 30 minutes later I noticed the tube was running quite hot, so I put a tube-microphonics-and-heat-reducer metal ring around the metal base, which seemed to cool it down a bit (not much, but the metal ring and metal holder things are getting quite warm now, so it is acting a bit like a heat sink), and the bass seemed to get a bit stronger. Am I imagining it or could such a thing have an effect on the tube's sound?

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #3,362 of 5,228
I have several of the Frankentubes and have never experience what you've described. Sure the metal ring and tube get pretty darn hot, but never to the detriment of the sound. Do you have a tester that you can use to check the tube's health?

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #3,363 of 5,228
I have several of the Frankentubes and have never experience what you've described. Sure the metal ring and tube get pretty darn hot, but never to the detriment of the sound. Do you have a tester that you can use to check the tube's health?

Yes, I have a tester, but it is being calibrated/repaired at the moment.

After a bit more testing, I think that tube is just a bit weak (it probably won't test very well). When I switched in my other Frankentube (labeled Philco, but meeting all the requirements in the original Frankentube post) I was back listening to an amazing tube.

By the way, I broke my original cheap 7N7-to-6SN7 adapter from eBay, so I ordered one from Woo Audio. Yes, it was expensive compared to the eBay version, but it is very, very nice...worth it I'd say if you are using these monster tubes.

One more by the way...I have a Sylvania tube that looks and smells like a Frankentube (eww...gross), but it has the squared-off plate at the bottom (rather than a more oval-like plate). It sounds OK to me though, although I haven't put it in a serious head-to-head testing round vs. one of the legit Frankentubes.

OK, fine, just one more note...I popped in a Brimar brown-base and heard some low volume ticking-type noises while in High Gain on the Lyr 3 (with no audio playing). Switching to Low Gain fixed the problem. Is that due to a damaged or defective tube? The Brimar is the only tube I have with a problem like that, as far as I know.

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #3,364 of 5,228
Thanks for the tip. I've been pretty fortunate with my Suzier adapters.

As it relates to the Frankimposter tube -- yeah there are some pretty close ones, appearance-wise. Frankly (pun intended), I've found most 7N7's to be quite enjoyable -- Frankie or otherwise. The Frankie does have a bit more extended bottom-end and more sparkle up-top. It exhibits a nice slam in the bass that really punches. I've also found a pretty rare 7N7 that looks very similar to a Frankie, but have a copper support rod that is between the plates ala 6SN7W. If you see one -- snag it and give it a listen. I truly believe it is a Loktal version of the coveted Sylvania 6SN7W Tall Bottle tubes.

I don't have any Brimar 6SN7 tubes, but will have my 1st in about a week or so. Can't say I've ever experienced a ticking sound in any tube at all, however, I have had a couple of tubes that were exhibiting a bit of static and crackling. With older tubes, the solder in the pins can dry out a bit and cause issues with noise. Using a hot soldering iron and running it up and down the pins can help re-flow the solder inside and can cure the situation.** I'd try it as 1) it's free and 2) with care the odds of damaging the tube is practically nil. Be sure to hold the tube such that the pins are facing down as you do not want solder running up into the base and possibly creating a short between pins. I've done this on 3 tubes that I was ready to toss and they were brought back to working order and still in my stash. :wink:

** Don't try re-flowing solder on tubes with exposed pins like Loktals, 9-pins tubes, etc. I'd stick to 6SN7s only.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #3,365 of 5,228
I noticed something a bit odd this morning while listening to a Frankentube (well, it's a very tall 7N7 with a chrome top and metal base, at least): the bass seemed a bit light, but I kept listening, then about 30 minutes later I noticed the tube was running quite hot, so I put a tube-microphonics-and-heat-reducer metal ring around the metal base, which seemed to cool it down a bit (not much, but the metal ring and metal holder things are getting quite warm now, so it is acting a bit like a heat sink), and the bass seemed to get a bit stronger. Am I imagining it or could such a thing have an effect on the tube's sound?
I have never experienced that. The only changes, I hear are after warmup, which is about 30 minutes to an hour, and after burn in (50-100) hours.

Apr 24, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #3,366 of 5,228
Yes, I have a tester, but it is being calibrated/repaired at the moment.

After a bit more testing, I think that tube is just a bit weak (it probably won't test very well). When I switched in my other Frankentube (labeled Philco, but meeting all the requirements in the original Frankentube post) I was back listening to an amazing tube.

By the way, I broke my original cheap 7N7-to-6SN7 adapter from eBay, so I ordered one from Woo Audio. Yes, it was expensive compared to the eBay version, but it is very, very nice...worth it I'd say if you are using these monster tubes.

One more by the way...I have a Sylvania tube that looks and smells like a Frankentube (eww...gross), but it has the squared-off plate at the bottom (rather than a more oval-like plate). It sounds OK to me though, although I haven't put it in a serious head-to-head testing round vs. one of the legit Frankentubes.

OK, fine, just one more note...I popped in a Brimar brown-base and heard some low volume ticking-type noises while in High Gain on the Lyr 3 (with no audio playing). Switching to Low Gain fixed the problem. Is that due to a damaged or defective tube? The Brimar is the only tube I have with a problem like that, as far as I know.
I have heard pinging or clicking, on startup with NOS tubes, and my latest mint condition NIB Brimar black glass, did ping/tick off an on, for a minute or so, only on first startup, and now it does not make any noises at all. I assume this was because the tube was brand new, and never had been used. As far as used tubes go, often times if they are noisy, they usually only get worse.

Apr 24, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #3,367 of 5,228
Thanks for the tip. I've been pretty fortunate with my Suzier adapters.

As it realtes to the Frankimposter tube -- yeah there are some pretty close ones, appearance-wise. Frankly (pun intended), I've found most 7N7's to be quite enjoyable -- Frankie or otherwise. The Frankie does have a bit more extended bottom-end and more sparkle up-top. It exhibits a nice slam in the bass that really punches. I've also found a pretty rare 7N7 that looks very similar to a Frankie, but have a copper support rod that is between the plates ala 6SN7W. If you see one -- snag it and give it a listen. I truly believe it is a Loktal version of the coveted Sylvania 6SN7W Tall Bottle tubes.

I don't have any Brimar 6SN7 tubes, but will have my 1st in about a week or so. Can't say I've ever experienced a ticking sound in any tube at all, however, I have had a couple of tubes that were exhibiting a bit of static and crackling. With older tubes, the solder in the pins can dry out a bit and cause issues with noise. Using a hot soldering iron and running it up and down the pins can help re-flow the solder inside and can cure the situation.** I'd try it as 1) it's free and 2) with care the odds of damaging the tube is practically nil. Be sure to hold the tube such that the pins are facing down as you do not want solder running up into the base and possibly creating a short between pins. I've done this on 3 tubes that I was ready to toss and they were brought back to working order and still in my stash. :wink:

** Don't try re-flowing solder on tubes with exposed pins like Loktals, 9-pins tubes, etc. I'd stick to 6SN7s only.
Glad you scored one of those Brimar! Stavros, is an awesome guy, and all 4 Brimar tubes, I have bought from him, look like they were brand new. He really has an amazing collection, and took great care of his tubes.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #3,368 of 5,228
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #3,369 of 5,228
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #3,370 of 5,228
The new Brimars look suspiciously Russian to me. :D

(J/K -- they're made in UK)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #3,371 of 5,228
Those new Brimars are made in Russia or China. They are looking to bring production back to the UK and have repatriated some of Mullard's tooling back from eastern Europe but could be years yet before they're up and running.

See here: https://brimaruk.com/menugbvp/great-british-valve-project-2/

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #3,372 of 5,228
That's what I get for skimming. I stand corrected. Explains why they look Russian.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #3,373 of 5,228
Apr 24, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #3,374 of 5,228
What do you guys think about these

https://brimaruk.com/valves/triodes/brimar-6sn7gt/

i know its not NOS but just wondering if its any good.

Not too expensive, maybe worth a try? Not made in the UK though, and they won’t tell where..

Interstingly, on the website they say that they hope to start production in the UK in 2019 through something called GBVP (Great Britain Valve Project). Would be great if there could be some new production Brimar 6SN7 black glass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #3,375 of 5,228
Not too expensive, maybe worth a try? Not made in the UK though, and they won’t tell where..

Interstingly, on the website they say that they hope to start production in the UK in 2019 through something called GBVP (Great Britain Valve Project). Would be great if there could be some new production Brimar 6SN7 black glass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I dread to think what the prices will be with UK wages. (How much do Grant Fidelity charge for Chinese tubes?)

Might do some volunteering to see if I can score a pair free when they start production :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back