Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 24, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #3,196 of 5,228
Well, it is official, the STC/Brimar black glass, brown base CV1988, has dethroned my beloved Sylvania 1952, 3 hole, bottom getter "Bad Boy". What an amazing tube! My lyr 3 gets as much if not, more head time, than my Liquid Platinum, now that i put the Brimar in there. I am running Brimar in my Liquid Platinun, as well. Brimar tubes freakin rock!

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #3,197 of 5,228
Well, it is official, the STC/Brimar black glass, brown base CV1988, has dethroned my beloved Sylvania 1952, 3 hole, bottom getter "Bad Boy". What an amazing tube! My lyr 3 gets as much if not, more head time, than my Liquid Platinum, now that i put the Brimar in there. I am running Brimar in my Liquid Platinun, as well. Brimar tubes freakin rock!
It sounds about right according to the current market price.

And your next step is a ECCXX. :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #3,198 of 5,228
It sounds about right according to the current market price.

And your next step is a ECCXX. :)
The market prices don't lie. This tube is worth every penny. However, I got a really good deal on mine, and could not afford those really high prices. I big shout out to forum member rosgr63, for hooking me up with this tube!

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #3,199 of 5,228
I've said it before, but just adding to the current discussion about the Mullard ECC33...this tube is amazing! I've been listening to all sorts of tubes this week at work (RCA red base 5692, KenRad JAN-CKR, Sylvania 3-hole Bad boy), but after popping in the Mullard this morning I'm hearing new things that sound quite good. Just an amazing clarity and, importantly, warmth and texture (especially acoustic guitar) that I just didn't hear this week with the others. Tomorrow I'll try my current #1 to see how it stacks up after not hearing it for a week or two (Marconi B65 made in Holland).

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #3,200 of 5,228
I've said it before, but just adding to the current discussion about the Mullard ECC33...this tube is amazing! I've been listening to all sorts of tubes this week at work (RCA red base 5692, KenRad JAN-CKR, Sylvania 3-hole Bad boy), but after popping in the Mullard this morning I'm hearing new things that sound quite good. Just an amazing clarity and, importantly, warmth and texture (especially acoustic guitar) that I just didn't hear this week with the others. Tomorrow I'll try my current #1 to see how it stacks up after not hearing it for a week or two (Marconi B65 made in Holland).
Interesting . . . I did not know you could put an ECC33 in the Lyr 3? That is not a direct 6sn7 replacement. I have read they have a higher gain, and this attributes to the different sound. Is this true?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #3,201 of 5,228
Interesting . . . I did not know you could put an ECC33 in the Lyr 3? That is not a direct 6sn7 replacement. I have read they have a higher gain, and this attributes to the different sound. Is this true?
ECC35 has higher gain than ECC33. You can use ECC33 in Crack and Lyr 3. But you may not want to use a ECC35 in the Crack.

I believe they both need 0.4 A.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #3,202 of 5,228
Cool. If I ever decide my STC black glass, is not cutting it, I will give the ECC33 a try. However, a listening session this morning confirmed it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #3,203 of 5,228
How is the bass of the ECC33 compared to 3 hole bad boy and CV1988?

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,204 of 5,228
My tube rankings

1. STC/Brimar CV1988 black glass, brown base - Huge and wide sound, deep and tight bass, great high end extension and clarity througout, with a warm natural tone, and smooth but resolving mids.
2. Sylvania 1952 3 hole bottom getter copper grid post "The only Bad Boy" - Just a tad bit behind the STC/Brimar, in everything.
3. Westinghouse D getter - Neutral and clear.

I was going to sell my Lyr 3, until I rolled the STC/Brimar in there. Now it gets more head time, than my Liquid Platinum, at the moment, but I am sure that will change when I get my Aeolus, but we shall see. . .

The Lyr 3 is a really good amp, and for the money is amazing!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #3,205 of 5,228

My understanding is that the ECC33 is a very close match to 6SN7 and can be used safely in a Lyr 3 (I've run quite a few for quite awhile in mine).

The ECC32 (probably best known for the Mullard coke-bottle shaped tube) has different electrical characteristics (somebody here can elaborate I'm sure) that make it a bit risky to use in a Lyr 3. That being said, I've used a couple in my Lyr 3 (the Mullard coke-bottle one and a Cossor ECC33) without any problems.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #3,206 of 5,228
My understanding is that the ECC33 is a very close match to 6SN7 and can be used safely in a Lyr 3 (I've run quite a few for quite awhile in mine).

The ECC32 (probably best known for the Mullard coke-bottle shaped tube) has different electrical characteristics (somebody here can elaborate I'm sure) that make it a bit risky to use in a Lyr 3. That being said, I've used a couple in my Lyr 3 (the Mullard coke-bottle one and a Cossor ECC33) without any problems.

ECC32 draws 0.95A of heater current, pretty much a third more than a 6SN7, so you risk blowing a transformer using this tube, it's impossible to know how much headroom Schiit spec'd into their transformers.

Also ECC32 is pretty much double the plate resistance and almost double the transconductance which is hard to ignore. Also mu (amplification factor) is 32 vs 20 for 6SN7

But if it sounds great and there's no magic smoke then none of that really matters :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #3,207 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #3,208 of 5,228
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #3,209 of 5,228
How did you guys know that I keep my weed in it? So which strains make the Lyr 3 sound best? Should we start a Lyr 3 joint rolling thread?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,210 of 5,228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back