Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jan 28, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2,911 of 5,228
Update on my tube rolling (which was on hold for a couple of weeks):

- Mullard ECC33 is still my favorite. Perfectly clear, wonderful detailed bass, and that warmth.
Still looking for a Mullard ECC33 but I can only find very expensive ones.

By now cable management has finished and I'm still in love with the Psvane CV 181 MKII

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #2,912 of 5,228
Got a new Psvane UK-6SN7 for my Lyr. Even before burn-in, it does surprisingly well for harpsichord (a lovely new recording of Couperin works by Christophe Rousset). The Apex Peak with the Psvane 6SN7-SE still wins in presence/body, but the difference is not huge. These new Chinese tubes are giving the old guard (Bad Boys, Ken-Rad VT231) stiff competition.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #2,913 of 5,228
Got a new Psvane UK-6SN7 for my Lyr. Even before burn-in, it does surprisingly well for harpsichord (a lovely new recording of Couperin works by Christophe Rousset). The Apex Peak with the Psvane 6SN7-SE still wins in presence/body, but the difference is not huge. These new Chinese tubes are giving the old guard (Bad Boys, Ken-Rad VT231) stiff competition.

I agree on the Psvanes, I started with UK-6SN7 in my LYR3, then acquired the TII, the Treasure Globe, and for good measure I've got a Sophia Electric in there presently.
upload_2019-1-29_7-3-38.jpeg

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,915 of 5,228
Anyone tried the Canadian current production 6SN7? Northern Electric i think the brand is.
I think those are actually made in China, the brand name was purchased years ago. But no, I haven't tried them.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,916 of 5,228
Anyone tried the Canadian current production 6SN7? Northern Electric i think the brand is.

Every time I checked they were out of stock. The Psvanes are all made in China but with some special qualifiers.
Check out the Grant Fidelity website, which is where I got all mine and may be the only source for them

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #2,917 of 5,228
I agree on the Psvanes, I started with UK-6SN7 in my LYR3, then acquired the TII, the Treasure Globe, and for good measure I've got a Sophia Electric in there presently.
How would you rate them? Do you have a sound comparison?
And lastly, if you had to choose 1 - which would it be?

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,918 of 5,228
I don't feel the differences are significant enough to lose sleep over. Let your wallet be your guide. If you got the money the Treasure Globe or Sophia, want to save some money UK 6SN7 or TII. I am not finding the wide variations from one to the next that I have experienced with the many NOS 6SN7's I have. I like them because they are so consistent sounding. They come with some warranty period as well. I'm set for the long haul with my tubes, I see no future purchase needs for this tube type

The Treasure Globe and Sophia are $200 a piece. I bought matched pairs of the UK-6SN7 and TII in GF Grade A, low noise / dual section matching at $200/pair and $300/pair respectively. Some of the NOS are just as expensive and these are new production so maybe less likely to die in a year or two.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,919 of 5,228
I don't feel the differences are significant enough to lose sleep over. Let your wallet be your guide. If you got the money the Treasure Globe or Sophia, want to save some money UK 6SN7 or TII. I am not finding the wide variations from one to the next that I have experienced with the many NOS 6SN7's I have. I like them because they are so consistent sounding. They come with some warranty period as well. I'm set for the long haul with my tubes, I see no future purchase needs for this tube type

The Treasure Globe and Sophia are $200 a piece. I bought matched pairs of the UK-6SN7 and TII in GF Grade A, low noise / dual section matching at $200/pair and $300/pair respectively. Some of the NOS are just as expensive and these are new production so maybe less likely to die in a year or two.
Thanks! Very useful, in case I decide to buy more 6SN7 tubes... (already got enough to last my and my son's life time)

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,920 of 5,228
Thanks! Very useful, in case I decide to buy more 6SN7 tubes... (already got enough to last my and my son's life time)

LOL! I hear that.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #2,923 of 5,228
After 50h or so of burn-in, the combo

Metrum Ambre>Metrum Onyx>Lyr+Psvane UK-6SN7>Ether C Flow 1.1​

is killing it for small ensemble jazz and chamber music. Hard to pull myself away. There's something about a good NOS DAC with a good tube hybrid headamp that is hard to define but very engaging. A kind of instrument presence, materiality together with instrument separation that calls our attention to instrumental details and their relationships over time. Very satisfying.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #2,924 of 5,228
Has anyone tried a 7N7 with loctal adapter? I am using these in my MicroZotl v2 and they sound much better to me than the other 6SN7 variants that I have tried, including a number of those mentioned above.

They are also inexpensive. The adapters are easily available on eBay.

I'm in the process of reading through this thread and haven't seen much posted about 7N7 tubes yet so I thought I'd chime in.

First let me say that my experience with 7N7's has been in a Schiit Saga preamp where the differences from one tube to another can be quite subtle.

Next thing: Regarding 7N7 to 6SN7 adapters - I picked one up from a Romanian seller on eBay for a very reasonable price and electrically it seems good to go (tested each pin to each socket - the pinout is correct and there are no pin-to-pin or socket-to-socket connections). I tested it in the Saga with a properly tested, strong RCA 7N7 and it worked as it should. This said, I began feeling some hesitation in continuing its use (I can find no way to open the adapter and I was having trouble feeling confident in the quality of work in assembly. In the meantime I found that Woo Audio makes a 7N7 to 6SN7 adapter. It's expensive at $40 plus shipping but, having been impressed with the sound of the RCA 7N7 in the Saga, I decided to purchase the Woo Audio adapter. Here's a link:

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/varioustubeadapters

I have a small collection of 6SN7's (a new production Russian made reissue Tungsol 6SN7GTB, a new production Russian made Electro-Harmonix 6SN7, a GE 6SN7GTB, several RCA 6SN7GTB's, a Sylvania tall bottle 6SN7GTA, and two RCA 7N7 local base - electrical equivalent of a RCA VT231 / 6SN7GT). I won't go into any comparisons from use in a Saga preamp as they may be of little value in a discussion about tube rolling in the Lyr 3 headphone amplifier. I will only say that the 7N7's are my favorite of the lot in the Saga.

It's reasonably fair to assume that the RCA 7N7's will be very similar the early 50's RCA 6SN7GT tubes (this is what I gather from what I've read on the topic to date).

I am waiting to take delivery of a new Lyr 3 this coming week. I'll post an update once I've had an opportunity to listen to each of these tubes in the Lyr 3.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #2,925 of 5,228
I'm in the process of reading through this thread and haven't seen much posted about 7N7 tubes yet so I thought I'd chime in.

First let me say that my experience with 7N7's has been in a Schiit Saga preamp where the differences from one tube to another can be quite subtle.

Next thing: Regarding 7N7 to 6SN7 adapters - I picked one up from a Romanian seller on eBay for a very reasonable price and electrically it seems good to go (tested each pin to each socket - the pinout is correct and there are no pin-to-pin or socket-to-socket connections). I tested it in the Saga with a properly tested, strong RCA 7N7 and it worked as it should. This said, I began feeling some hesitation in continuing its use (I can find no way to open the adapter and I was having trouble feeling confident in the quality of work in assembly. In the meantime I found that Woo Audio makes a 7N7 to 6SN7 adapter. It's expensive at $40 plus shipping but, having been impressed with the sound of the RCA 7N7 in the Saga, I decided to purchase the Woo Audio adapter. Here's a link:

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/varioustubeadapters

I have a small collection of 6SN7's (a new production Russian made reissue Tungsol 6SN7GTB, a new production Russian made Electro-Harmonix 6SN7, a GE 6SN7GTB, several RCA 6SN7GTB's, a Sylvania tall bottle 6SN7GTA, and two RCA 7N7 local base - electrical equivalent of a RCA VT231 / 6SN7GT). I won't go into any comparisons from use in a Saga preamp as they may be of little value in a discussion about tube rolling in the Lyr 3 headphone amplifier. I will only say that the 7N7's are my favorite of the lot in the Saga.

It's reasonably fair to assume that the RCA 7N7's will be very similar the early 50's RCA 6SN7GT tubes (this is what I gather from what I've read on the topic to date).

I am waiting to take delivery of a new Lyr 3 this coming week. I'll post an update once I've had an opportunity to listen to each of these tubes in the Lyr 3.
Look up Franken tube and you will find the 7n7 info, already in this thread. Couple of guys on this thread love them, and i am sure will chime in soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back