Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5,226

ilikepooters

500+ Head-Fier
*EDIT*

List of the popular tubes so far, maybe slightly biased towards tubes i own because i can't remember all the good tubes currently :) i'll edit in peoples impressions at a later date.

In no particular order:

Top 3 popular tubes:

Sylvania 2 or 3 hole "Bad Boy"

Foton 6N8S Ribbed for her pleasure. (50's vintage?)

10112677.jpg

My top pick for an extended treble that you can play at stupid-loud levels without fatigue is the ribbed plate Foton 6h8c (6n8s). This has become my favorite in the Lyr. It's a foot-tap inducing, goosebump creatin', air guitar demanding musical groove tube that has caused me a lot of lost sleep. Be aware though that this tube is not a bass hammer. While the bass is tuneful, dynamic, and in correct proportion to the rest of the frequency range, it doesn't slam and bam and rattle your inner ears like some other tubes can.

Westinghouse 6SN7 GT, GTA or GTB D getter

The rest:

MELZ 1578

2976020.jpg

See above picture for identifying a genuine MELZ 1578.
ilikepooters said:
Easily one of the finest 6SN7 (or equivalent) ever made, it's right up there in performance with the likes of a Marconi B65 and a Brimar black glass.

Huge open soundstage. Laid back treble is the only mark that would otherwise let me call this tube neutral but it's enjoyable, detailed and non-fatiguing. Bass is nice and tight and controlled, mids are lush sounding.

PSVane 6SN7-SE
s-l640.jpg

earnmyturns said:
Psvane 6SN7-SE is pricey, but to my ears it beats the already very good 2-hole Sylvania Bad Boy and Ken-Rad VT-231 that I also own: better layering, tighter but ample bass, very smooth mids and highs, faster transients.

KenRad VT-231 Black glass
MELZ 6N8S (50's or 60's)
Raytheon 6SN7 WGTA
Brimar 6SN7 GT (Clear glass, orange print)
Brimar 6SN7 GT (Black glass, brown base)
Marconi / Osram B65

There have been some successes using adaptors, particularly the Loktal 7N7 tube which is a 6SN7 but with a Loktal base, in particular there is a Frankentube version of this which can be any make but of a particular construction. See @bcowen or @Freeflap or @Ripper2860 for advice on identifying this tube.

Other adapted types:

E80CC Tungsram (Neutral but sounds full, not thin, good extension top and bottom, very detailed and fast, good soundstaging)
NEVZ 6N1P-VI (Mild U shape to it's signature, good extension top and bottom, good soundstaging, mids a little recessed)
Orel 6N1P (More bass warmth, laid back treble and good liquidity, tubey sounding, would compliment cold clinical and fast headphones)
Osram L63 (need 2 of these + adaptor)
Russian version of 6C5GT (6S5S?) again need 2x with adaptor.

Feel free to PM me recommendations to add to this list.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 5,226
May be worth having a conversation with Andy at http://vintagetubeservices.com/selecting-your-tube-is-an-art/

He has quite an inventory of 6sn7 tubes and takes great care to only sell legit and quality tubes...I personally bought a pair of sylvanias from the 60s on eBay to test out. Along with the stock Tung Sol and lisst to try for now...still waiting on my unit, purchased yesterday and didn’t ship today, prob won’t have it till atleast next week at this point. The 6sn7 seems to be quite a loved tube class with a lot of selection within it...so I wouldn’t worry too much about options. I have no experience with adaptors and tend to be of the mind set of “use what it was designed for” so I’ll be sticking with 6sn7 for the foreseeable future...also worth noting that psvane makes high end new production 6n8s tubes, but they cost a fortune.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 5,226
May be worth having a conversation with Andy at http://vintagetubeservices.com/selecting-your-tube-is-an-art/

He has quite an inventory of 6sn7 tubes and takes great care to only sell legit and quality tubes...I personally bought a pair of sylvanias from the 60s on eBay to test out. Along with the stock Tung Sol and lisst to try for now...still waiting on my unit, purchased yesterday and didn’t ship today, prob won’t have it till atleast next week at this point. The 6sn7 seems to be quite a loved tube class with a lot of selection within it...so I wouldn’t worry too much about options. I have no experience with adaptors and tend to be of the mind set of “use what it was designed for” so I’ll be sticking with 6sn7 for the foreseeable future...also worth noting that psvane makes high end new production 6n8s tubes, but they cost a fortune.

The price is very high. You can do many of the things, i.e. tube cleaning, by yourself.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 5,226
The price is very high. You can to many of the things, i.e. tube cleaning, by yourself.

The price is better then 99% of the dealers selling the same tubes elsewhere. And 3/4 of them don’t match them correctly or have nearly as good of testing equipment. You don’t have to buy the most expensive tube he offers, he’s got rca’s from the 50s for like 30-40$ where you’ll pay 70 at somewhere like tube world for something from the 70-80’s

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 5,226
Currently rolling these three tubes in my Lyr 3 -

1. Ken-Rad VT231 6SN7GT (black glass and clear glass, both with staggered plates)

2. RCA VT231 6SN7GT (grey glass 1945, with side micas on top mica)

3. National Union 6SN7GT (grey glass / military US NAVY 1940's)

I will report back, after everything is burned in and I have had some more time with each tube. All I can say, at this time, is that I like all three tubes and they each have their strengths. The Lyr 3 is really making my Sony MDR -Z7's sing!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 5,226
Currently rolling these three tubes in my Lyr 3 -

1. Ken-Rad VT231 6SN7GT (black glass and clear glass, both with staggered plates)

2. RCA VT231 6SN7GT (grey glass 1945)

3. National Union 6SN7GT (grey glass / military US NAVY 1940's)

I will report back, after everything is burned in and I have had some more time with each tube. All I can say, at this time, is that I like all three tubes and they each have their strengths. The Lyr 3 is really making my Sony MDR -Z7's sing!
VERY tempted to replace my Jot with Lyr3... Your last comment regarding Z7 (which I also own) makes me want the Lyr3 even more... :angry:

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 5,226
Here are the tubes I will be trying:

They are, from left to right:

1. A real 3 hole Sylvania "Bad Boy" tube from 1953
2. Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7W
3. RCA grey glass

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 5,226
So far my favorite with HD650K and LCD2C is Sylvania 3 hole BB or Raytheon VT-231, and with my HE560 is kenrad VT-231 staggered plates or RCA VT-231 grey glass.

Let me know how the Sylvania 6sn7w goes, i have yet to hear any of them!

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 5,226
So far my favorite with HD650K and LCD2C is Sylvania 3 hole BB or Raytheon VT-231, and with my HE560 is kenrad VT-231 staggered plates or RCA VT-231 grey glass.

Let me know how the Sylvania 6sn7w goes, i have yet to hear any of them!

Yes, I now kind of regret selling all the Raytheon VT-231 tubes I had. I still have four each of the Bad Boys and 6SN7W tubes so I would guess I am in good shape for a while.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 5,226
Yes, I now kind of regret selling all the Raytheon VT-231 tubes I had. I still have four each of the Bad Boys and 6SN7W tubes so I would guess I am in good shape for a while.

Yeah i wouldn't worry much about it...honestly in the lyr 3 with hd650 i prefer the Sylvania's to the Raytheon... they are great tubes but they mostly pull duty in the gain stage of freya powering jot and my nearfield monitors, that's where i find them to be best.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 5,226
Just ordered a Sylvania bad boy, rca grey glass from the 50s and a Tung-Sol mouse ear tube to try when the lyr come in. Got my shipping notice yesterday so will most likely see the amp in the middle of next week.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 5,226
9C63A9F9-E748-4D88-BE3C-291C4191E00E.jpeg 11EABFC7-9183-4B5E-806F-B0CC9F4E3467.jpeg Here’s my current lineup, waiting for the arrival of my Lyr 3, Tube Slueths (as stated on the Lyr 3 Thread), please chime in on their sonic signatures.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 5,226
Received a 6SN7gt Ken-Rad Tube *Flat Black Plates*1950* yesterday and prefer it over the Tung-Sol 6SN7. Music is being played while I work and I hope to hear more improvements tonight after 24 hours of use.

Ordered a USN CHS 6SN7wgta Sylvania Tube*3-Holes per Black Plate*Strong*Mil Spec*#2 this morning to explore next week.

2 months ago I started an obsession and have purchased 5 pairs of Vintage headphones. That obsession is now replaced by looking for vintage tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back