Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #841 of 5,228
Funny you should mention Black Plate Hitachi, I also have a Hitachi flat-plate GTB with bottom box getter. The CM and Hitachi seem to present a nice smooth sound profile. I believe they are the only 2 Japanese made tubes I have. They certainly do seem scarce.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #842 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #843 of 5,228
A delivery of more tubes arrived today. In the tube cornucopia were 2 tubes that have me scratching my head. I didn't seek these tubes out, they just happened to be part of a 4 tube lot, but I'm curious, as they look to be in very good shape. They are Sylvania 6SN7GTA's w/ medium bottle, round mica spacers top/bottom (no spikes), black angled T plates, and a top chrome flashing (not fully extending like chrome dome -- just top 1/4), yellow lettering and logo on base. These have what I think is a date code of BB and the other AF on the base next to the S in triangle w/ lightning bolt logo. Anyone have a clue as to what the BB and AF codes mean? There are no other marking on the base other then the logo, Sylvania name, and the 2 letter codes. Also -- the top of the glass envelope, 1 has a I4B under the 6SN7GTA stop sign, and the other has B4B. Are any of these date codes and if so, can you tell me the years??

Thanks!!

I can't wait to get my Lyr 3 back. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #844 of 5,228
Got the answer I needed in the 6SN7 Tube Addict thread of this very forum. There are some definite tube gurus there, so if you are getting nowhere researching a 6SN7 tube, that's the place to go. Posting the answer to my question here in case others would benefit ...

I have yet to find a key to Sylvania's two-letter date codes. My best guess is that these are either shipping dates or warranty dates as they were applied just before the tube was packed and shipped.

The three-digit etched codes located just below the hexagon are rather well-known and are likely manufacturing dates as the were applied in the factory. The first digit, a letter, is the month, the second digit, a number, is the year, and the third, a letter, is the factory.

So I4B -> I is the 9th letter of the alphabet and represents the 9th month, September. 4 = 1954, and I have no idea which manufacturing plant B represents. And in the same fashion, B4B would be February, 1954 and factory B.

Now, you will see the same date codes on 1940's Sylvania production (and 1930's production, as well), so a little detective work might be necessary. For example, we know that the 6SN7W was manufactured only the 1940's, so the etched code C5 is March, 1945. And we know that the 6SN7GTA was introduced in 1950, so these later tubes must have been manufactured in the 1950's.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #845 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #846 of 5,228
As tempting as this is, I'm tapping the brakes on more tube purchases for a bit.

Should come as no surprise, but I've bought from this seller. Had no issues whatsoever. :wink:

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #847 of 5,228
Me too, 21 tubes / 17 different ones. May try a Psvane or Northern Electric at some point but I've got so many at this point its becoming one big blur.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #848 of 5,228
TS BG RP - Is in my hand :darthsmile: and going in the amp this morning. I will report back after some burn in.

Edit - TS BG RP is burning in now!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #849 of 5,228
Just ran across a pair of what appear to be honest-to-goodness Bad Boys for less than $100. From the pictures it looks like they have all the necessary traits. I don't know the seller or anything else about the offering or the tubes -- just saw this and thought I'd pass it along. I thought for a moment about buying them, and then looked at the pile of 7N7's massing on my desk and said "NO MORE!" (meaning this week, of course).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Sylvania-bad-boy-3-hole-Black-Plates-Round-Mica-Copper-Rod-6sn7gt-6sn7-tube/183332374526?hash=item2aaf7607fe:g:8u4AAOSwFZtbT45i&_sacat=0&_nkw=8sn7+tube&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0
Had my eye on that one, but just not sure those are any good with this amp? All I have read suggest that they might be too warm for my sitiuation.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #850 of 5,228
TS BG RP - Is in my hand :darthsmile: and going in the amp this morning. I will report back after some burn in.

Give it a 60 hours burn in and it'll open up....wide. The initial sound comes out a bit veiled but after a good time it starts to show its true character.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #851 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #852 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #853 of 5,228
Alms for the poor....or education for the ignorant, please: TS=Tung Sol, RP= Round Plate....what's the BG?

Can't wait to hear your impressions...I've never heard a RP TS, and every time I try to snag one the prices are in the stratosphere.
BG = black glass

I got a good deal and had the funds, so I jumped on it :grinning:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #854 of 5,228
Thought I’d add my impressions to the discussion. First and most important comment: all the tubes I’ve listened to sound good when they’ve had at least 20 hours of break-in. The difference from one to the other are relatively small and are a matter of personal preference as much as anything.

Second comment: the Russian NOS is the default tube Schiit supplies with the amp. The TS 6SN7 GTB is the alternate tube Schiit supplies. The NOS Tung Sol is a 1953 6SN7 GT. Pics of each included.

Third comment: My set-up is as follows: Spotify or Tidal > Schiit Modi 2U > Schiit Loki (set to bypass for comparison) > Schiit Lyr3 > MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed (AFC) or Hifiman HE-400i.

Fourth comment: I’ve got a 1952 Sylvania 2 hole bad boy on the way. Will add that when I get it.

image.jpg
Russian NOS: great neutral tonal balance. Fantastic high end- smooth, detailed, but not at all fatiguing and doesn’t feel rolled off. Mids are quite engrossing and incredibly detailed. Deep thick bass with no bloat or bloom. Soundstage is medium width with good placement of instruments. Very realistic rendering of voices and instruments. Seems to work much better with the the very balanced AFC than the 400i which sounds thinner and dryer.

image.jpg
NOS TS: Brighter at the top with a little grain. A little dry in presentation. Good percussion accompanying string plucks. Might work really well with dark phones. Could be fatiguing with bright phones but would probably work well with headphones which have a tendency towards bleeding bass into the mids. While Impact is bigger than russian NOS, quantity of bass feels less. Upper bass pulled back. Soundstage is outstanding- wide, deep and stable. Guitars sound awesome if not as tonally accurate as the NOS Russian. Needs more burn in time than the tubes Schiit furnishes for the top to soften up. I’ve only let it burn for about 24 hours total during which the highs have gone from too bright and a little harsh to softer and smoother. Still not to my taste- too dry.

EDIT: Somewhere around 70-80 hours this tube really blossomed. Tone has improved, soundstage has gotten better, detail is stunning and top end is smooth and sweet. Definitely not a bass head tube and still light on the lower minds, but the soundstage and detail make up for it.

image.jpg
New TS 6NS7 GTB: fantastic mids right from the start (15 minutes burn in). 10 hours later it’s even better. Perfect for voice and guitar. Lots of air.

The highs are clean and smooth. Great detail and resolution. Lows are meaty like a Prime steak. Upper bass is like a warm soft blanket on a cold night. Not as neutral sounding as the Russian NOS. More tubey with a very polished and smooth character. Basically a great big euphonic sound. Makes both my 400i and AFC sound gorgeous. I suspect it makes any headphone sound great as long as it can handle the upper bass without bloat. Holographic soundstage makes you feel like you’re standing in the audience. Dynamics are energetic but not overpowering on my phones.

The synergy between this tube and the 400i is impressive. It may not be as competent as the Lyr 3 + AFC but it’s close. The combo definitely works well and creates a great place to put your head.

To my ears it’s the best sounding tube so far for headphones which might otherwise sound a little dry. Definitely worth the additional money if you want to have a little more tubeness than the stock russian.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #855 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back