Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #796 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #797 of 5,228
Not gonna do it ... Just yet!! :D

On a somewhat related note ...

I think I'm becoming a Sylvania man. My latest flurry of tube buying has really introduced me to a few tubes I'm really, really growing to like ...

Sylvania 6SN7WGTA brown base ('50-'55) -- A nicely balanced tube with a very good and wide soundstage and nice slam. A slightly forward midrange and nice crisp highs. Wonderfully enjoyable and one that gets the most play, for now.

Sylvania 6SN7GT ('50) 2-hole Bad-Boy type construction -- Nicely balanced top to bottom with a nice soundstage, although not as wide as WGTA. A nice tight bass with a bit more moderate midrange being a bit less prominent than the WGTA. A very enjoyable tube and one that may move up as I give it more listening time.

Sylvania/Magnavox 6SN7GT ('52) Chrome Dome -- This is a legit Chrome Dome with med. bottle and top chrome flashing almost completely covering the glass tube, obscuring the innards. It's a very nice tube. A wider soundstage than the above with wonderful 'air' and placement of instruments. A nice bit of slam and extended bass without being heavy or plodding. Some say it is slightly better than the true Bad Boy and exceeded only by the the 6SN7A/W. Highly recommended. (Hard to find real Chrome Domes, so I listen to these when I'm going to really listen and enjoy my music.)

Sylvania 6SN7W (40's tall bottle, black base) -- Incredible soundstage width with an exceptionally open and airy presentation. Very nicely extended bass with a good amount of punch and slam. Nicely balance mids and highs with a nice non-fatiguing sparkle. Almost a 3D presentation of instrument and voice placement that had me looking around the room and wondering "where did that come from?". Live recordings put me right in the middle of the audience with sounds and applause all around. A fabulous tube. Hard to find and not cheap, but it is highly recommended. The best of the bunch!! (I listen to this one when I'm home all by myself and it's nice and quiet, so I can really, really appreciate what it brings. Given the rarity and cost, I'm not wasting this tube, just as I would not waste a fine wine.)

I have a 40's Sylvania JAN VT-231 6SN7GT on the way from Brent Jesse and will report back on that one to let y'all know where it sits in my tube pecking order.

Remember -- This is my humble opinion. YMMV. Your ears, preferences, headphones, and other gear all make a difference and can result in you either agreeing with my assessment or in you calling me out as full of schiit. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #799 of 5,228
These arrived today from TubeMonger for 6SN7 pin types. Look to be of the same high quality as the 6DJ8 pin types I got from them 2 years ago.

upload_2018-7-23_14-46-42.png

Just in case and to insure a proper fit should I go for;
upload_2018-7-23_14-51-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-23_14-28-48.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-23_14-28-48.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #800 of 5,228
Well. folks. I'll be silent in this thread for a bit. My Lyr 3 let the magic smoke out yesterday and is on its way across the rainbow bridge to Schiit's capable service department. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick turn-around and a Jason autographed bottom plate for the trouble. :wink:

Thankfully, I never sold my Magni 3 :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #801 of 5,228
I'd be curious to know how or why. New tube trial?

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #802 of 5,228
Well. folks. I'll be silent in this thread for a bit. My Lyr 3 let the magic smoke out yesterday and is on its way across the rainbow bridge to Schiit's capable service department. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick turn-around and a Jason autographed bottom plate for the trouble. :wink:

Sorry to hear that! What happened?

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #803 of 5,228

Oh no!

What was the suspected culprit? Did you pull a Levi and plug all your tubes in at the same time?

8874048.jpg

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #804 of 5,228
Yes!! I was strapping tubes for mono. Are you NOT supposed to do that?? :smirk:

OK, serously. It's too painful for me to discuss right now. Please allow me an appropriate time to grieve. :cry:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #805 of 5,228
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #806 of 5,228

Like I've said for years, you always need a plan B backup if your an audiophile.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #807 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #808 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #810 of 5,228
So what tube are they adapting to? Can't see in the photo...

Ah, sorry, they are lifters not adapters. If I go with a strange bottle shaped tube at some point that the opening in the top lid won't allow full seating of I'll be prepared.
I don't really worry about the heat without lifters and find un-powdered latex exam gloves grab glass and don't slip making removal easy of 6SN7 types or the smaller signal 6DJ8's and 12AU7's types I have.in other units. As for wear on the board socket, once I settle in
I usually stick with 2 or 3 tubes long term after that. I usually run one those three for weeks at a time before changing, and I always pull them after the units been
off all night and all metal cold and contracted - makes withdrawal easy without a lot of easing around.

If Schiit were to make a 2 or 4 tube 6SN7 amp I could use I might consider the lifters long term if heat seemed excessive with that many valves on the line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back