Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #3,121 of 5,228
Damn! That is a cool looking amp, that i have never heard of. No more tubes?
Tubes are good and all, but after spending twice the cost of the amp trying to find the perfect one, I realized it's not for me. I'll stick with my BHC for tubes - where I've already found the ideal pairing for my tastes - and get a SS amp that will last forever for the bulk of my audio duties.

Ironically, the DSHA has amazing tube-like qualities, which is probably why I have enjoyed it so much. It also allows you to roll output transformers. The 3F on my desk now is a loaner, and it goes back to it's owner tomorrow. Sadness. Doug at ECP is building mine now and hopefully will be done before the end of March.

The 3F pretty much bests the EC Black Widow 2 in all categories, except for bass quantity. (BW2 has an emphasis here, and the 3F does not.) It also destroys the Phonitor X handily. It is basically a SS amp that is on par with tube amps like the EC Aficionado.

It's worth reading atomicbob's measurements (posted on a different site) regarding this amp. It's very special.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3,122 of 5,228
Tubes are good and all, but after spending twice the cost of the amp trying to find the perfect one, I realized it's not for me. I'll stick with my BHC for tubes - where I've already found the ideal pairing for my tastes - and get a SS amp that will last forever for the bulk of my audio duties.

Ironically, the DSHA has amazing tube-like qualities, which is probably why I have enjoyed it so much. It also allows you to roll output transformers. The 3F on my desk now is a loaner, and it goes back to it's owner tomorrow. Sadness. Doug at ECP is building mine now and hopefully will be done before the end of March.

The 3F pretty much bests the EC Black Widow 2 in all categories, except for bass quantity. (BW2 has an emphasis here, and the 3F does not.) It also destroys the Phonitor X handily. It is basically a SS amp that is on par with tube amps like the EC Aficionado.

It's worth reading atomicbob's measurements (posted on a different site) regarding this amp. It's very special.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
That's good stuff!

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #3,123 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,124 of 5,228
Good riddance you rat person traitor!! :rage: ...

OK. Seriously. Don't Leave Professor!! If you leave, we'll NEVER get off the island!!! :slight_frown:

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #3,125 of 5,228
I've followed certain folks from this thread, and will certainly be keeping in touch. Thanks all.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #3,126 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #3,127 of 5,228
Mainly the ECP audio DSHA-3F. I did give the Phonitor X a try too, but it wasn't quite for me.
Interesting. Was also looking at those 2, but 3F is no longer made, and anyway I'm not sure it would work well with my Ether C Flows. What put you off the Phonitor? And I'm still a bit infatuated with 6SN7-based gear :wink:

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,128 of 5,228
Interesting. Was also looking at those 2, but 3F is no longer made, and anyway I'm not sure it would work well with my Ether C Flows. What put you off the Phonitor? And I'm still a bit infatuated with 6SN7-based gear :wink:
He is having a 3F made at the moment, so i would think they are still being made or special order?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #3,129 of 5,228
Mar 8, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #3,130 of 5,228
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,131 of 5,228
Doug is making 2 batches. One right now, and he will be taking orders for batch 2 in April / May, I think he said. you can still contact him through his website (which hasn't been updated in a long time). http://www.ecpaudio.com

I have no idea how they would sound with planar HPs, to be honest. The DSHA-3f is a derivative of the DSHA-3 design, the difference being the 3F was made specifically for the Focal headphone line. Slight change to the circuit, but it is a stellar sound.

You can order it with an amorphous core transformer, or a nickel core transformer, the former has a cleaner sound, the latter is a little warmer.

Again, very sorry for off topic post. He doesn't have a product thread here that I've found, but you can find discussions about it if you Google "3F Ravenswood".

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #3,132 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #3,133 of 5,228
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back