Schiit Loki Max Impressions
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #196 of 262
@dwest1023 @HomerSkins --

I decided to return my Max, too. Not because I think it is bad or impairs the sound. But because my system uses a DSP preamp with its own adjustments, and while the Loki Max gives more flexibility, that isn't worth the added cost and complexity for me. I can get very close without it, with fewer components and fewer knobs. Other people will have other value judgements. I never would have known without trying it.

IMO it's an excellent equalizer. Decades ago, I owned a Cello Palette Preamp (got a deal on it). My reaction to the Loki Max is no less positive sonically. I wish the knobs had lines one could see.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #197 of 262
@dwest1023 @HomerSkins --

I decided to return my Max, too. Not because I think it is bad or impairs the sound. But because my system uses a DSP preamp with its own adjustments, and while the Loki Max gives more flexibility, that isn't worth the added cost and complexity for me. I can get very close without it, with fewer components and fewer knobs. Other people will have other value judgements. I never would have known without trying it.

IMO it's an excellent equalizer. Decades ago, I owned a Cello Palette Preamp (got a deal on it). My reaction to the Loki Max is no less positive sonically. I wish the knobs had lines one could see.
I just used a black majic marker and drew lines where the notches are on the knobs. I can just wipe it off it need be.

Oct 26, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #198 of 262
I went through two Loki Max units and neither one of them made any difference in my system. They flat out made no difference when inline or bypassed. I felt they were both defective but Schiit did not want to work with me on it.
It shouldn't make a difference when bypassed, so it actually worked right?
You mean when it was inline and you turned the knobs then there was no change?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #199 of 262
It shouldn't make a difference when bypassed, so it actually worked right?
You mean when it was inline and you turned the knobs then there was no change?
Yep, as in no EQ. I was baffled when my replacement arrived and behaved the same way. I tried both balanced and RCA and even tried a combination of both. I have been an audiophile and recording drummer for 20+ years and understand how to install and operate such gear. Tried to speak with a tech at Schiit but they didn't attempt. Just had some Administrative gal emailing and apologizing to me that she wasn't technical. They just gave me a full refund. I bought a Loki + next and it works as designed. I know that they occasionally send out defective pieces because my first Freya + arrived faulty and they replaced it. The second one worked properly. Too bad on the Loki Max because I really wanted that piece.

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #201 of 262
I just ordered a Loki Max on their Black Friday offer. I have a Lokius/Magnius/Modius stack at work for my headphones and find the Lokius to be really great.

This Loki Max will be paired with a Bifrost 2/64 balanced out to a Jotunheim 2 (then balanced out to the Loki Max) then finally balanced you to my Parasound Halo Integrated amp.

My space is slightly constrained and wish to stack the BF, Jot, and LM with the Loki Max on the bottom and the Jot on top.

Therefore, what is the heat output of the Loki Max? Most of the photos show it underneath a Freya, etc., so my guess is this is fine.

Thoughts?

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #202 of 262
I just ordered a Loki Max on their Black Friday offer. I have a Lokius/Magnius/Modius stack at work for my headphones and find the Lokius to be really great.

This Loki Max will be paired with a Bifrost 2/64 balanced out to a Jotunheim 2 (then balanced out to the Loki Max) then finally balanced you to my Parasound Halo Integrated amp.

My space is slightly constrained and wish to stack the BF, Jot, and LM with the Loki Max on the bottom and the Jot on top.

Therefore, what is the heat output of the Loki Max? Most of the photos show it underneath a Freya, etc., so my guess is this is fine.

Thoughts?
It should be fine this way.

I'm a little surprised that you upgraded the EQ to such an expensive device prior to DAC and Amplifier.
Not that there is something wrong with that, seems just unusual.

Nov 26, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #203 of 262
It should be fine this way.

I'm a little surprised that you upgraded the EQ to such an expensive device prior to DAC and Amplifier.
Not that there is something wrong with that, seems just unusual.
I am not sure what you mean. I am adding a remote controlled EQ to my existing speaker system. Are the other components not expensive enough for you? My DAC is a Bifrost 2/64 and amplifier is a Parasound Halo integrated. This EQ is for my stereo main system with two speakers. As for the Jotunheim as headphone amp, it is inserted on the off-chance I want to listen to headphones on this rig. Usually when I am in the listening chair, the speakers are used.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #204 of 262
I have a Loki Max arriving on Monday and I just read something yesterday that caught my attention. I'm going to call Schiit about it on Monday, but thought maybe someone here can help me understand in the meantime--

I'm planning on running the Loki Max between a Benchmark LA4 preamp and Benchmark HPA4 amps. One of the reasons why I pulled the trigger on the Loki Max is because I am running the Benchmark amps in low-gain, which accept 10V RMS. The specs page on the Loki Max says it has a maximum output of up to 18V.

What caught my attention though was in the FAQ--

More tech. Will I overload this thing?
Not if you’re using standard 2V RMS single-ended or 4V RMS balanced levels.

Makes it sound as though if you're running more than 4V RMS, then one runs the risk of clipping.

So my question is--do I need to switch the input sensitivity on my AHB2 amps to 4V RMS? I like running everything at the lower sensitivity setting, but not if the Loki Max is going to hate it. If it makes any difference, I never get anywhere near to the full output on the Benchmark amps.

Edit: After further consideration I ended up changing the input sensitivity to 4V. Schiit's APx555 report shows distortion rising rapidly with output voltages >1V.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #205 of 262
I just got this during the Black Friday sale after trying to buy used for months. It does a good job applying EQ and the memory settings are definitely a plus. I think I'll probably end up returning as I can't justify the cost given that I can apply software EQ relatively easy (and I don't really use much EQ as I've discovered). I'm a little disappointed because I like that way it looks in my system and being able to physically adjust the knobs was convenient.

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #206 of 262
I'm a fan of easy and the Max is what I wanted. I get exhaused reading page after page of EQ comparisons, settings and info. particularly regarding the LCD-5.
The Max is fine for me to add just a hair of bass and half a hair of top end and not be fussing and obsessing with dialing in all the settings. Perhaps I'm just lazy or just don't want it to become a part time job!!

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #207 of 262
I'm a fan of easy and the Max is what I wanted. I get exhaused reading page after page of EQ comparisons, settings and info. particularly regarding the LCD-5.
The Max is fine for me to add just a hair of bass and half a hair of top end and not be fussing and obsessing with dialing in all the settings. Perhaps I'm just lazy or just don't want it to become a part time job!!
It’s not that hard to dial in changes once you we the hang of it. Having a hard time coming up with uses for the three presets though, other than one for returning to flat. Each circumstance calls for a unique setting. Generally big changes aren’t called for, especially if two or more consecutive knobs are adjusted in the same direction.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #208 of 262
Oh my...some choice observations from a person who did not have a good prior experience with a Schiit product--

The build quality is phenomenal. My only complaint so far is a 'dead' button on the remote control. All of the buttons have a nice 'pop' when you press them, except for one. The remote otherwise feels nice in the hand.

The power switch in the back of the enclosure makes a super satisfying 'ca-chonk' sound when you flip it on =)

The relay pots were not what I was expecting (owing to my own ignorance). I thought they would function like a stepped volume control. Instead, the knobs turn like a heavy analog pot, and only switches after the knob travels a certain amount (if that makes any sense). It feels very high quality, just not what I expected.

Bypass mode sounds 100% transparent to my ears.

Part of the motivation for my purchase was to cut very low frequencies to my front speakers. When I did so, I felt like I lost a tiny bit of 'air' in the music. I was surprised at how much I had to turn the higher frequencies up to compensate. Again, not a negative and easily corrected, just unexpected.

The enclosure gets fairly warm, and so the Loki may not be very happy with anything stacked directly on top of it.

I absolutely love having the remote!! It's simple to flip in and out of bypass mode, which makes it so easy to compare 'flat' to other presets. And the level of adjustability is very fine, so you can dial things in with extreme precision.

For anyone else with similar equipment who's in the same position--I switched back to low input sensitivity on the AHB2's and I don't hear anything resembling distortion, even at very high volumes.

I am extremely happy so far, and really can't think of anything else I would want, or need in a stereo EQ.

EDIT 12/13/22: I contacted Schiit about the wonky remote control I received, and they over-nighted a replacement to me, no questions asked. In my humble opinion, it's hard to find after-sales support as good as what Schiit offers. Do recommend, 10/10.

Attachments

• PXL_20221206_161502231_1.jpg
    PXL_20221206_161502231_1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #209 of 262
I was thinking the same as many have but didn't return it although I could use the money happily for another set of HPs.
I feel the same, I'm not into computers (all these settings and stuff), what player software, updating...
Whenever someone shares his EQ profile I feel a numbing sensation glossing over these posts.
Exhausting!
Lazy maybe... and the Max gives me confidence to never have another HP that lacks just a bit in whatever area. Nice fine-tuning upgrade🏆

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #210 of 262
Yeah a lot of hp threads (LCD-5) are all EQ settings and EQ discussion. I’m fine with the Max and I just dial in what I want.
I have plenty of other audio related items to obsess about like TUBES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back