Schiit Loki Max Impressions
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #181 of 262
Regarding the Loki Max, I just got one and need help on presets. I am trying to store #2. I think I'm reading the manual right, but I'm not sure. I select 2, change the settings, then hold down Favorites (star key) for five seconds. But instead of storing the new settings, the unit puts the old ones into effect. How is this supposed to work?

Help will be much appreciated!

I think the UI would be greatly improved with a button -- separate from the presets -- that just resets everything to flat. Better lines on the knobs (I'll be using tape) and frequency markings on the remote also would be improvements.
I Just tired my memory settings and it worked as advertised. I selected #2 button, then adjusted the controls the way I wanted. Held down the star button until the lights on the right blinked.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #182 of 262
I Just tired my memory settings and it worked as advertised. I selected #2 button, then adjusted the controls the way I wanted. Held down the star button until the lights on the right blinked.
There ya go…it is a little confusing! I have a Freya+ and Loki Max. Mine have worked flawlessly and I LOVE THEM!
I put colored MICRO-HALF-DOME beads on my knobs…not for everybody, but I love it. very visible from across the room. If you scroll back in the thread…I posted pictures. Enjoy your Loki Max!!! 😁👍🏼

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #183 of 262
Thanks to @dwest1023 and @PoMarantz for getting me there! The key was holding down the button until the lights flash. Sometimes, at least on my unit, that takes longer than 5 seconds. Or perhaps I wasn't pointing the remote accurately enough. (On my preamp, I can point the remote at the ceiling, and it still works.)

It's great to have it working.

Do all Schiit remotes have bumps instead of buttons? Anyone found a good universal remote and programmed it for the Loki Max?

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #185 of 262
Hi…
I refer back to my post on page 9 of this thread. (at least that is the numeration viewing on my iPad Pro).
I think those dots will work, but you might find them to be quite large. Not sure…they give no specific size information. If you apply them…I would love to see the result here. My flat-back, half-dome bead solution is much more tedious and a little more expensive…but the bead container offer varying sizes to get a good spatial relationship on the knob fronts. I went fun technicolor (because I am a child inside enjoying my music :)), but one could go all red, all blue or even all silver for a functional but more conservative matching to the asthetics of the Loki Max. (there are1000s of bead colors and sizes in the container).
In any event….some kind of indexing on the front of the knob made my interaction with the Loki Max a MUCH better experience. NO DOUBT!
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #186 of 262
So mine came in yesterday. All in working order, presets as described! One can mix XLR and RCA. I use XLR in and RCA to the amp... Why? Expensive device and now I have to save up and want to supplement it with decent XLR and power cables...

Never wanted to and will use a PC! But always had the presentiment of being an "EQ guy", I probably am.

Gives me confidence in future HP purchases because like with my Clear OG and Magni the Loki Max makes them better.
With the Final D8K pro, not so sure. That one is really great as it is.

But will see.
Now the knobs have to keep on turning!

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #187 of 262
My flat-back, half-dome bead solution is much more tedious and a little more expensive…but the bead container offer varying sizes to get a good spatial relationship on the knob fronts.
Yeah, it's the need to apply glue that puts me off the half-dome beads. My arts-and-crafts skills are not that great. I like the colors, though!

I'm more optimistic that something self-adhesive can be removed if I ever want to.

I'm also considering graphic tape: https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Pen-Plastic-Whiteboard-Tape/dp/B0949S65CS/ Like the beads, an order will have way, way, way more than I'll need to do the job. But unlike electrical tape, I won't have to cut it to width by hand.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #188 of 262
Yeah…I suggested using silicone tape…its weird stuff…it’s like gel almost. It won't hurt the knobs…
I would think that any self-adhesive should not harm the knobs either. What you want to stay away from is crazy glue and that kind of thing.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #189 of 262
Does anyone know how many DB the total of 15 steps equate to? Or how many steps would be one DB?

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #190 of 262
Does anyone know how many DB the total of 15 steps equate to? Or how many steps would be one DB?
Yes, I looked into that. The specs (on the Schiit Web site say)
Bands: 20Hz, 120Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 6kHz, 16kHz
Adjustment: +/-12dB at 20Hz and 16kHz, +/-9dB at 120Hz and 6kHz, +/-6dB at 400 and 2kHz
and at the bottom of the specs page is a link to a test of a sample, with graphs:

From the test report, one can gather quite a bit of information, including two interesting tidbits:
  • The steps at each band become larger as one moves further from flat
  • The 400 Hz band seems to be centered at 550 Hz
I think the variable step size makes a lot of sense. The center-frequency mismatch at 550 Hz, I don't know what to think of, though I don't think it diminishes usefulness of the device.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Added later: IME, the low Q of EQ with the Loki products means that a small change (such as 0.5 dB) will have more audibility than it would at the same frequency with a higher Q.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #191 of 262
Has anyone here measured whether the Loki Max provides unity gain in bypass mode?

In my setup, the Max (still under evaluation) is placed after digital crossovers for subs.* I don't hear a difference between all controls at flat and bypass mode. However, when it's out of the curcuit entirely, I'm not so sure. In this setup, other than unity gain would change the overall tonal balance (in vs. out), which may be what I'm hearing.

I will attempt to measure it myself, but I'm sure curious if anyone has done it already.

*Yes, I know this is Head-Fi, but although it's a great forum, I listen mainly through speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #192 of 262
Yes, I looked into that. The specs (on the Schiit Web site say)

and at the bottom of the specs page is a link to a test of a sample, with graphs:

From the test report, one can gather quite a bit of information, including two interesting tidbits:
  • The steps at each band become larger as one moves further from flat
  • The 400 Hz band seems to be centered at 550 Hz
I think the variable step size makes a lot of sense. The center-frequency mismatch at 550 Hz, I don't know what to think of, though I don't think it diminishes usefulness of the device.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Added later: IME, the low Q of EQ with the Loki products means that a small change (such as 0.5 dB) will have more audibility than it would at the same frequency with a higher Q.
thank you Mike! I noticed that when you turn the knob approaching the "2 to 3 o´clock position"/60 to 90 degrees the change starts to get very noticable.
12-9-6-6-9-12 right?

I downloaded that doc. but dindn´t look into all these graphs! There is a reason why I spent so much money on the Loki Max to get EQ since I probably won´t ever use a PC+DSP.

I was just thinking when I would see an EQ recommendation from "one of those guys" for a HP how to translate it to the Loki Max...

Low Q having more impact makes sense and you wouldn´t know over what range the low Q extends?

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #193 of 262
Has anyone here measured whether the Loki Max provides unity gain in bypass mode?

In my setup, the Max (still under evaluation) is placed after digital crossovers for subs.* I don't hear a difference between all controls at flat and bypass mode. However, when it's out of the curcuit entirely, I'm not so sure. In this setup, other than unity gain would change the overall tonal balance (in vs. out), which may be what I'm hearing.

I will attempt to measure it myself, but I'm sure curious if anyone has done it already.

*Yes, I know this is Head-Fi, but although it's a great forum, I listen mainly through speakers.

The first Loki max I purchased, I heard a difference when the unit was disconnected from my system. I first thought it was my tired ears. I connected, and disconnected the unit several times for two days. Each time I could notice there was less dynamics especially bass. I returned the unit. I decided to try another unit. With the new max, I could not tell a difference in or out of my system. Was the first unit defective in some way? I don’t know, but I still have the second unit and I love it!

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #194 of 262
The first Loki max I purchased, I heard a difference when the unit was disconnected from my system. I first thought it was my tired ears. I connected, and disconnected the unit several times for two days. Each time I could notice there was less dynamics especially bass. I returned the unit. I decided to try another unit. With the new max, I could not tell a difference in or out of my system. Was the first unit defective in some way? I don’t know, but I still have the second unit and I love it!
I went through two Loki Max units and neither one of them made any difference in my system. They flat out made no difference when inline or bypassed. I felt they were both defective but Schiit did not want to work with me on it.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #195 of 262
you wouldn´t know over what range the low Q extends?
Well, as you know, Q is just an expression of how peaked a curve is. There is a formula for converting that to bandwidth, and a Q of about 8.7 is a bandwidth of 1/6 octave. As well as the step getting bigger as the knob it turned more, the Loki's Q increases at the same time. Still, I would call the curves fairly broad. The higher peaks look like Q=3, and the lower ones less than Q=1, would be my WAG.

There is a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back