Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 12, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #6,332 of 6,472
I just got the new Modius DAC yesterday after only ever owning the Modi Multibit.

Modius kicks ass with the Jotunheim! It really shows what the amp is capable of IMO. I had never tried my Jot with the balanced inputs or with any DAC besides Modi Multibit and I'm glad I bought the Modius.

The detail and resolution is insane. The overall sound signature is very exciting. All kinds of energy.
How does the detail retrieval of the Modius compare to that of the Modi Multibit?

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #6,334 of 6,472
So those who disagree are unhappy fools? :thinking: Wow, pretty small thing to say - no wonder you care so much about measurements ...
Not a full quote, I did say those who don't care about measurements to one extent or another would be foolish. I also did not say they would be unhappy. I expect even somebody such as yourself who clearly has a strong opinion on the subject would care about measurements to a very small extent, hence not a fool. Hope that helps to clarify.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #6,338 of 6,472
Interesting. I'm currently using a Modi Multibit with my Jotunheim. I was planning on upgrading to the Bifrost 2 at some point, but the Modius seems like a much more affordable alternative.
I ended up getting the Bifrost 2 on B-stock. I really like it but the Modius is a great DAC. Especially for 200 bucks.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #6,339 of 6,472
Absolute resolution/detail retrieval has never really been a particular strength of the Modi Multibit, or lower-priced r2r dacs in general. I guess I am surprised that you are surprised.
I had read that the Modius was more resolving. I just didn’t expect it to blow away the MM in resolution and fine detail.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #6,340 of 6,472
I had read that the Modius was more resolving. I just didn’t expect it to blow away the MM in resolution and fine detail.
I'd be interested in hearing your ongoing comparo - I've got the BF2 on my list, but thought I'd spend some time with the Modius before making a decision. (I've also got a 2017 MM with a firmware update chip on the way, so I'll be testing that too)

Sometimes for me more resolution/detail isn't a better listening experience: In listening to many setups I've found that I don't really like "high resolution" for relaxed listening - it's great for critical listening, but not good for a session; just my preference though of course. I like the MM/Jot combo as the MM seems to calm down the Jot, so curious to see what happens with the new MM firmware/Jot and then then the modius/Jot.

I've read that on the modius balanced is better than SE outputs and power can make a difference, i.e., using the USB adapter even if you're using USB input and/or using the power adapter in the USB input port if you're using other input like SPDIF (which I'll also test via an Eitr!)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #6,342 of 6,472
Sent back my modi/heresy stack. Upgraded to the modius /jotunheim stack. I may add the Lyr3 in the future when I want something new and tube roll. Going to be using the balanced ports. Still need to get a HP xlr cable. I had a hard time dedciding. I was originally going to get Asgard 3, but wanted a balanced headphone jack and didn't want to run RCA between DAC/AMP. Asgard 3 seems like a great deal though. IMHO Jotunheim as double thr cost is less so IMHO. Gotta pay to play for balanced. I can't wait to try out the difference. Also having more power for reserve is never a bad thing. I would rather run on low gain if and when possible. The Heresy had just enough power with minimal reserve on power hungry headphones. I was on high gain at around 2:30 for max listening volume. Around 12 was normal listening. I could definitely hear slight background noise after 12. The A90 was also an option with either modi or modius combo. Actually prefer the front layout of the A90, but volume knob seemed short from photos. Also I like having a matching stack (OCD} if possible. I also like supporting local businesses when I can. Will post back my opinion. Black color has a slight delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back