Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 15, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #6,196 of 6,473
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Jot and was wondering if I would even be able to tell the difference between the internal multibit dac, the AK one or an external multibit/ak dac. I'm not a professional audio engineer or anything so I dont really have trained ears. I'm just trying to get the best bass from the Jot. Using it for my HD650 mostly but also for my HE6se until I can find a good speaker amp. Can I use the Jot as a dac/preamp when I do find a suitable amp for the HE6se?

Also, which cables are best to use and where can I find them? Links appreciated. Are the PYST cables from Schiit good quality or can I find better ones for the same price?

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #6,197 of 6,473
Amazon basic cables for rca are best I've seen for pride..

The multibit is the same as modi multibit.

Multibit sounds different from the balanced. I prefer it. It's tonality. Less analytical more musical (personal view)

Performance wise at this price point you're not getting much difference in detail etc

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #6,198 of 6,473
Using it for my HD650 mostly but also for my HE6se until I can find a good speaker amp. Can I use the Jot as a dac/preamp when I do find a suitable amp for the HE6se?
Jot would be fine as a preamp for an external amp for the HE6se. If you use the Jot as a preamp for actual speakers, an issue is going back and forth between headphones and speakers, because the Jot preamp output is active all the time and you have to mute/unmute the speaker amp manually.

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #6,199 of 6,473
Jot would be fine as a preamp for an external amp for the HE6se. If you use the Jot as a preamp for actual speakers, an issue is going back and forth between headphones and speakers, because the Jot preamp output is active all the time and you have to mute/unmute the speaker amp manually.

That is what I am using here - Jot MM + Grado 80e + pair of Active 40 from Paradigm speakers; the speakers are on small smart power plugs from Gosund ( https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-Compatible-Required-appliances-Certified/dp/B079MFTYMV?ref_=ast_sto_dp ); with a google mini - anyone has one on the does :), it is just OK google, turn office left on|off / turn office right on|off.

Had to find a solution for home office when acquired Jot and realised that headphones jack does not disconnect preamp outs.

Can turn them on while seating and thinking what to listen to.

Best,
/bofh

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #6,206 of 6,473
New Jotunheim, old multibit = one happy schiit head
1585000298839736852420411142473.jpg

Mar 23, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #6,207 of 6,473
Anybody else thinks the Jotunheim is getting really hot?
I left it on for about 4 hours, the case is too hot to touch and I can hold the volume knob no longer than 2 seconds.
Mine gets warm (left on 24/7). I would not describe mine as hot, certainly not what you wrote. I recommend that you ask Schiit customer support.

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #6,210 of 6,473
Weird, mine is really bloody hot, when you touch the top or front plate you can't keep your fingers on it.
It is sandwiched between the Bifrost and the Lyr though, but still ...

I'm returning it, I wouldn't even dare keeping this thing on 24/7 as it 'd probably catch fire. Also, print was missing below the two toggle switches on the front.
B-stock? I paid full price though.

It sounded damn good though and not only at this price but well over it's price.
So do the Lyr and Bifrost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back