Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #5,746 of 6,469
I can't even have a proper dialogue with "Mike" so let's stop pretending like Mike is doling out offers in good faith. That was a little bit of showboating as I got promptly silenced. Now, I would prefer not to have mods sitting on top of me trying to hatch me for a couple of weeks so let's just avoid that topic. I'm not sure I've seen a single constructive or helpful post from you, MWSVette, so I'm going to place you on ignore.

wow i missed that post. i agree. if he is that unhappy with schiit why bother to keep trying and buying more? something that would not make any sense to me.

Ignore it. He makes false claims about my posting history and along with mods removes my ability to refute his claims. Like I said, it's best to move on from that as I won't get a fair shake. The short of it is I'm not out to get Schiit as I couldn't care less- I'm just trying to buy the correct stuff and do have a low tolerance for bs. I've stuck with Schiit thus far because versus the CMA400i I thought the Mimby + Jot sounds much better, as my posting history reveals, and am unaware of alternatives. Focus on the noise, which is clearly there as I'm far from the only one experiencing it with Schiit. At this point I am fancying a Gustard H20 though, following in Alcophones' footsteps.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #5,747 of 6,469
:)

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #5,748 of 6,469
Is it recommended to keep the Jot on at all times like you would say a Gungnir Multibit? In particular, if you do this would you stand to reign in say the reputed brightness of the Jot? What benefits if any might you see?

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #5,750 of 6,469
Is that your opinion or? You preface it with depends on who you ask. If that's true then you'd pretty much have to keep the Jot on at all times. Has "Mike" made any pronouncements on this like he has with the Gungnir Multibit? I think the Jot might run warmer than the Gumby. Any concerns whatsoever regarding that if kept on at all times?

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #5,751 of 6,469
with the older jot yes. the newest 2 i have listened to do not seem to need to be on nearly as long and sound smoother right from the start. they usually recc leaving it on all the time. my older silver one did not run any hotter when left on vs on and off.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #5,752 of 6,469
Is that your opinion or? You preface it with depends on who you ask. If that's true then you'd pretty much have to keep the Jot on at all times. Has "Mike" made any pronouncements on this like he has with the Gungnir Multibit? I think the Jot might run warmer than the Gumby. Any concerns whatsoever regarding that if kept on at all times?

There is no official recommendation that I know of. Anecdotally, I keep mine on all the time. I subjectively think it sounds better warm. It is warm but not hot to the touch. I am not concerned with keeping it on.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #5,757 of 6,469
My Jot uses about 14 watts at idle. I never turn it off, I use it everyday.
And it is very quiet and awesome in every way for a $400 balanced headphone/ preamp.
If I had a problem with it, or any product I would not have aired it out on a public forum. I would have went to the company in question and tried to resolve it.

@rutter you are on my ignore list but I can't but wonder why you haven't contacted Schiit about your Jot?
They test the gear they sell before they box it and ship it. They would be stupid not to.
So, your Jot had specific parameters to pass, the same as mine. Maybe a mistake was made?
Your Jot has a 5 year warranty, almost unheard of in the electronics business, use it.
Maybe your setup is to blame either way your method of resolving it has not worked.

I really hope it does work out for you.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #5,758 of 6,469
If I had a problem with it, or any product I would not have aired it out on a public forum. I would have went to the company in question and tried to resolve it.

@rutter you are on my ignore list but I can't but wonder why you haven't contacted Schiit about your Jot?
They test the gear they sell before they box it and ship it. They would be stupid not to.
So, your Jot had specific parameters to pass, the same as mine. Maybe a mistake was made?
Your Jot has a 5 year warranty, almost unheard of in the electronics business, use it.
Maybe your setup is to blame either way your method of resolving it has not worked.

I really hope it does work out for you.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't air pruduct issues on a public forum. The more people who knows about the issues and solutions the better.

However I do agree that you might have got a lemon copy and should consider sending it back to Schiit.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #5,759 of 6,469
I'm not sure why you wouldn't air pruduct issues on a public forum. The more people who knows about the issues and solutions the better.

However I do agree that you might have got a lemon copy and should consider sending it back to Schiit.

I may start some schiit if a company does not live up to their end of the deal.

But this would not be my first course action if I had an issue. And what issue is there actually?

No one actually knows, it's all conjecture and spite as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #5,760 of 6,469
It's just your the only one on it besides Amir of ASR, so it makes it easy to know who is posting.

Speaking of Amir, he has just posted a review of the Jotunheim / comparison with the iFi micro iDSD Black Label. It's actually a review, i.e. with some actual listening time and comments on the sound. :-D
Anyway, he measured some power supply hum and noticed that the top does not appear to be grounded. He then grounded the top to one of the RCA outs and the measured hum went away. Quite interesting, possibly a solution for @rutter's issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back