Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 10, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #5,476 of 6,473
I don't think that's how "quantitatively" works. Words are far more amenable to getting traffic, and it's easier to get duped. Note how little of verifiable and even comparative substance most reviews have.

Is it true that soundstage is a weakness of the amplifier? How bad is it, and in comparison to what?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #5,477 of 6,473
I think the sole USB connection is just Jot's design independent of which DAC you pick, looking at an image of its backside. I still don't understand the pricing and what that means for that module. It's $500 when selecting "Balanced DAC".

No DAC, Jot as Amp only - $400
Balanced DAC + Amp - $500
Multibit DAC + Amp - $600

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #5,479 of 6,473
I know that. Why is the balanced DAC cheaper than the multibit which is apparently the same as the Modi?

Because balanced doesn’t necessarily equate better when it comes to DACs. The multibit DAC module (and Modi Multibit) is audibly better than the balanced DAC module in jot.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #5,481 of 6,473
So you actually get better sound with an unbalanced input when running balanced to the headphone? Really?

I have the Modi Multibit already, in fact upgraded from the Modi 2 (can't say that I hear much of a difference, if any, by the way), so I know what the Modi options are.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #5,482 of 6,473
Why is the balanced DAC cheaper than the multibit which is apparently the same as the Modi?
The short answer is that the balanced DAC card is significantly cheaper to manufacture than the multibit card. In any case, the multibit card is not "the same" as Modi Multibit. The Modi Multibit has a separate power supply whereas the multibit card is powered by the USB (which is prone to electrical noise).

So you actually get better sound with an unbalanced input when running balanced to the headphone? Really?
Yes, if the unbalanced input is higher quality than the balanced input. You seem to be focused on balanced being automatically better, which is not true.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #5,485 of 6,473
Holy crap... if I didn't want to use the Loki I think I'd just get a Questyle CMA400i. Do digital equalizers only apply eq to music played within the program or is there something I can set and then for instance listen to youtube or Spotify with eq applied?

lol it sounds like a movie company

Ok, I've seen the whole thing now, and I'm not sure what he's referring to there. Isn't he holding the multibit module? Does that mean the Modi Multibit is cheap-assed balanced similarly or not? The 4490 card is supposed to be balanced...?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #5,486 of 6,473
Jun 10, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #5,488 of 6,473
Thoughts on the soundstage of the Jot as an amp?
It made the HD800 shine when I auditioned them, the soundstage with them was to die for (similar with the HD800S). However, with my Ether C Flow the sound stage lacks depth, which I only noticed after I got the Gustard H20. I am floored by the sound stage now - and I used to call myself soundstage challenged. I didn't think this was possible with closed headphones (I notice the same effect on the Focal Listen and Audio Technica ATH-M50x). Not saying it's on the level of the HD800, but very enjoyable now. I'd love to listen to the HD800 again on both amps to see whether it makes an appreciable difference with them, too.

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5,489 of 6,473
One thing about the Jot, I'd admit it was a little bright at first, I'd shut it down and turn it on when I got home.
But I heard to just leave it on from somewhere, and it works, When nice and warmed up the sound does too.

Thoughts on the soundstage of the Jot as an amp?

Compared to my AK4490 dac in the Jot. Yggy is much more resolving, even on a less resolving HP like the HD 6xx.
The soundstage is holographic on my very large desk with the Focals compared to the D/S dac. I certainly am getting a love for headphone listening with the LCD Xs and this rig

Multibit FTW, you don't need a Yggy though, the others are great by most accounts

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #5,490 of 6,473
That's a little promising to hear. I'm planning to audition the HD800S and LCD-X in the coming weeks and wanted to at least try the 800S with the balanced cable. I do probably need an upgrade from the Magni 3 as well. Hoping to keep one of the two headphones and be content with the overall sound and set-up. Already have a Modi Multibit. Reluctant to go with the Questyle CMA400i as I can't be arsed with eq, hence relying on the Loki for compensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back