Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 10, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #5,462 of 6,471
I assume you've compared with unbalanced in the same set-up and heard a significant difference? What was that difference? By the way, Bimby is what again?

Balanced has more pronounced bass, wider soundstage.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #5,463 of 6,471
So what's up with all the people claiming balanced just provides more power? This community appears literally split down the middle on whether balanced improves sound quality. I find this exceedingly strange given it's one of the actual significant central questions. Cables and burn in to a much lesser extent are also strange.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #5,464 of 6,471
So if you're plugging in a headphone balanced but using an unbalanced DAC do you still select unbalanced from the front switch? What happens if you select balanced xlr?

You select unbalanced (rca). The input selector refers to the input, not the headphone outputs. Both the unbalanced and balanced outputs are always on, no matter what input is selected.

If you select balanced xlr, no sound will be produced unless a balanced dac is connected to the xlr inputs in the back.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #5,465 of 6,471
Do you agree that the input difference - whether the DAC is balanced or not - is less significant than using a headphone with a balanced cable/using the balanced output? To put it better perhaps, if balanced DAC balanced cable yielded 100% sound quality, what is the percentage without the balanced DAC?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #5,466 of 6,471
So what's up with all the people claiming balanced just provides more power? This community appears literally split down the middle on whether balanced improves sound quality. I find this exceedingly strange given it's one of the actual significant central questions. Cables and burn in to a much lesser extent are also strange.

More power can improve the sound depending on the headphone type. For the Sennheiser 650 in jot , it definitely has an effect when using balanced, opening up the soundstage. It depends on the amp architecture, whether balanced and SE will sound different or similar, but cannot comment beyond that.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #5,467 of 6,471
Do you agree that the input difference - whether the DAC is balanced or not - is less significant than using a headphone with a balanced cable/using the balanced output? To put it better perhaps, if balanced DAC balanced cable yielded 100% sound quality, what is the percentage without the balanced DAC?

I would agree that way. The only balanced input I have tested is from a ponoplayer, and it’s worse than from Mimby (Modi Multibit) in about everything, details, soundstage, and Mimby is single ended. I haven’t tested any high quality desktop amp with balanced architecture like gungnir or yiggdrasil, so someone else has to comment on that.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #5,468 of 6,471
Anyone here objective enough to put the Jot in proper context as an amp? For $400 it actually seems like very good value, let alone with a DAC module for say $500. Any skeletons in this closet? The only reason I came here is because someone claimed to have preferred the Jot to the Mjolnir2 or whatever it's called, and then I also read that it was released more recently.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #5,469 of 6,471
I assume you've compared with unbalanced in the same set-up and heard a significant difference? What was that difference? By the way, Bimby is what again?
A Bimby is a Bifrost Multibit.
I haven't compared single ended to balanced, I converted a short lead to balanced and have used it thus ever since - just lazy I guess - all my other headphones are single ended so I can plug one of them in at the same time as the HD650 in case I fancy a change for a while (I always go back to the HD650)

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #5,470 of 6,471
"I do love tubes:"

Very nice setup! I also have the Fostex TH-x00, with Lawton mod, alpha pads, and the PeterEK detachable cable mod. Very fun sounding, but harsh treble that kills me on most tracks. Afraid they don't get much use these days.

If I'm every going to try tubes, it will have to be something that sounds great with the included tubes. I have no desire to get into tube rolling, too much effort and seems to be a lot of hit or miss on the tubes. Any suggestions on tube amp that would warm up the HD800S without requiring tube rolling?

Me too, Gotta love tubes...

WP_20180302_03_09_58_Pro.jpg

But I love my Jot too....

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #5,471 of 6,471
Jun 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #5,472 of 6,471
A Bimby is a Bifrost Multibit.
I haven't compared single ended to balanced, I converted a short lead to balanced and have used it thus ever since - just lazy I guess - all my other headphones are single ended so I can plug one of them in at the same time as the HD650 in case I fancy a change for a while (I always go back to the HD650)

So how do you even know that balanced makes a significant difference?

Let's say I get the balanced DAC module. That gets bypassed when I use the Jot with a Modi Multibit or another DAC, correct? Comments on the balanced DAC? Half the price of the Modi Multibit equivalent, what gives?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #5,473 of 6,471
So how do you even know that balanced makes a significant difference?

Let's say I get the balanced DAC module. That gets bypassed when I use the Jot with a Modi Multibit or another DAC, correct? Comments on the balanced DAC? Half the price of the Modi Multibit equivalent, what gives?

I have balanced Jot 4490 DAC and I think it sounds good. However, it only has 1 USB input, so I can't use it with multiple sources or use the optical out from my pc. Can't comment on sound comparison with Mimby as I haven't heard it.

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #5,474 of 6,471
I think the sole USB connection is just Jot's design independent of which DAC you pick, looking at an image of its backside. I still don't understand the pricing and what that means for that module. It's $500 when selecting "Balanced DAC".

By the way, anyone aware of Audio Science Review? They take a big dump on a lot of this Schiit, quantitatively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back