Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #5,401 of 6,472
In the above post I was actually praising the Gen5 for the fact that it WORKS and is so versatile in contrast to my experience with the normal usb that is built into the new mb universal cards. I'm still playing with them to see if it is a cable/connector problem, but still no luck with ipad/iphone.

Got it! I read it wrong, thank you for clarifying!!

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #5,402 of 6,472
Received my Multibit DAC, got it installed and working late last night. Thanks again @TheViolentVicar for the visuals. It was very straightforward, the only tricky part was getting the DAC's pins aligned and in place carefully. Steady hand, patience, and a precision tool are a must.

Sound. The only piece of gear I've used since Aug of 17 has been the Jot w/ the OG 4490 card. Its sound is literally imprinted onto my mind, so the comparison was very easy for me to make. For those on the fence, the good news is that this is not a minor or subtle upgrade.The Multi presents a much more open sound space; better separation, and superior imaging. The transparency and layering are on another level. For anyone like me, who is only using the Jot + 4490, this is a significant step up.

I am very impressed day one.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #5,403 of 6,472
I agree, I’m about a week in now and burned in. The upgrade from the OG 4490 to the mb is well worth the money. The Jot with mb seriously reminds me of my Gumby, no joke! Crazy smooth, buttery- no more of the treble harshness of the early hours.
Another small issue- from time to time one channel will ring and I will have to cycle the power and it goes away.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #5,405 of 6,472
Anyone tried to connect an headphone output to the XLR input on the Jotty?

I'm trying to expand my desktop setup and the RCA input is already connected to my Mimby, but I'd like to add the GSX 1000 to the Jotty as well for competitive gaming.

So my question is, is it possible to use a 3.5mm to dual XLR cable to connect the headphone out from the GSX1000 to Jotty?

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #5,406 of 6,472
Anyone tried to connect an headphone output to the XLR input on the Jotty?

I'm trying to expand my desktop setup and the RCA input is already connected to my Mimby, but I'd like to add the GSX 1000 to the Jotty as well for competitive gaming.

So my question is, is it possible to use a 3.5mm to dual XLR cable to connect the headphone out from the GSX1000 to Jotty?
Without an OK from Schiit I wouldn't risk it.
I would use Bimby and GSX 1000 into a switch like Schiit Sys then into the RCA input, or use an active or transformer splitter to get the balanced signals for the XLR inputs

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #5,407 of 6,472
That ringing sound happens occasionally with my 2 Mimby's too and yup switching the power toggle off for a few seconds and then switching back on is the trick to fixing that.

God damn. I didn't know about this and was playing PUBG and the explosions were ringing like mad and I wrote the developer an angry e-mail saying they are going to deafen their players....turned out it was the Jot. It's not the biggest annoyance in the world but does anyone know why this happens and if there is a permanent fix?

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #5,408 of 6,472
That ringing sound happens occasionally with my 2 Mimby's too and yup switching the power toggle off for a few seconds and then switching back on is the trick to fixing that.
God damn. I didn't know about this and was playing PUBG and the explosions were ringing like mad and I wrote the developer an angry e-mail saying they are going to deafen their players....turned out it was the Jot. It's not the biggest annoyance in the world but does anyone know why this happens and if there is a permanent fix?
I have a Mimby and I have yet to hear this. Could you please explain in a little more detail what it sounds like and how often it happens.
Thanks.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #5,409 of 6,472
I have a Mimby and I have yet to hear this. Could you please explain in a little more detail what it sounds like and how often it happens.
Thanks.

It's a high pitched ringing sound that blends in with the sound (music, dialogue or whatever you're amplifying). It's kind of buried into the background of the sound but you know something is off. Once you've noticed it, it becomes very obvious and annoying. Simply toggle off your Mimby or Bimby (which I own) and after 15-30 seconds toggle it back on and allow it to recycle. Presto, the ringing is gone. It's a very random thing and happens 5-6 times per year (rough estimate). I don't have any explanation for this "issue" but it's a simple fix, like re-booting your computer or phone.

It is recommended that DACs be left on all the time, especially the Multibit DACs because internal temperature is critical in presenting a proper sound. With respect to the Lyr 3 owners with the MB option does that mean you have to leave your unit on all the time (and shorten the life your tube)? Maybe because the Lyr 3 and Jotunheim only offers MB to it's USB input, perhaps the USB is always powered? Not sure.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #5,410 of 6,472
It's a high pitched ringing sound that blends in with the sound (music, dialogue or whatever you're amplifying). It's kind of buried into the background of the sound but you know something is off. Once you've noticed it, it becomes very obvious and annoying. Simply toggle off your Mimby or Bimby (which I own) and after 15-30 seconds toggle it back on and allow it to recycle. Presto, the ringing is gone. It's a very random thing and happens 5-6 times per year (rough estimate). I don't have any explanation for this "issue" but it's a simple fix, like re-booting your computer or phone.

It is recommended that DACs be left on all the time, especially the Multibit DACs because internal temperature is critical in presenting a proper sound. With respect to the Lyr 3 owners with the MB option does that mean you have to leave your unit all the time (and shorten the life your tube)? Maybe because the Lyr 3 and Jotunheim only offers MB to it's USB input, perhaps the USB is always powered? Not sure.
Interesting. It's probably some sort of glitch in the firmware that operates the Analog Devices 16-bit DAC chips. I wonder if this same issue happens with the other multibit Schiit DACs.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #5,411 of 6,472
Interesting. It's probably some sort of glitch in the firmware that operates the Analog Devices 16-bit DAC chips. I wonder if this same issue happens with the other multibit Schiit DACs.
I'm pretty sure I just experienced this same ringing glitch for the first time with my Gumby. Simple fix- off and then on. Just note that this is the first time this has ever happened with my Gumby, and it may have just been my imagination?

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #5,412 of 6,472
The ringing was less noticeable on music, did notice it on synths more. Video game explosions sounded like the added humming you hear sometimes in movies when they want to make an explosion disorientating....think of tinnitus mixed with a metal meditation bowl.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #5,414 of 6,472
Well from what I read the dac multibit is not balanced, so I ask you, what's the disadvantage this has against a fully balanced amplifier?
Mike Moffat has explained already that the mb card is what he calls CAB (cheap assed balanced) meaning that it is not hardware balanced like Gumby/Yggy, but still functionally balanced by dividing the single Dac card into left and right channels. Besides this, utilizing the XLR section of the Jot has a huge power advantage.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #5,415 of 6,472
The ringing was less noticeable on music, did notice it on synths more. Video game explosions sounded like the added humming you hear sometimes in movies when they want to make an explosion disorientating....think of tinnitus mixed with a metal meditation bowl.

A very good description of the ringing problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back